GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 22 19, 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: November 1 18, 6:04 pm 
99% conan clips

Quote:
President Donald Trump said Thursday that if any member of the migrant caravan making its way toward the United States border throws stones or rocks at U.S. military personnel they would “consider it a firearm” and license to use lethal force in response.

https://www.newsweek.com/doanld-trump-m ... rm-1197857

PostPosted: November 2 18, 8:29 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

I have a friend from El Salvador. He came as a child with his family came to US under asylum from the Contras Sandinistas warfare. This war was the US/CIA vs the commies, IIRC.

This was Reagan/Bush era, so the family that was adults when they came up were loyal to GOP. He says the GOP is managing to lose the loyalties of his older siblings/relatives in the US.

Anyways, now the GOP Trump is demonizing these former allies and desparate poor people.

PostPosted: November 7 18, 12:31 pm 
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Pentagon no longer calling border mission 'Operation Faithful Patriot.' Day after elections, what a shocker.

Quote:
Pentagon spokesman, Lt. Col. Jamie Davis told CNN, "we are not calling it 'Operation Faithful Patriot,' we are calling it 'border support.'"

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/07/politics ... index.html

PostPosted: November 14 18, 2:26 pm 
99% conan clips

PostPosted: November 14 18, 3:20 pm 

Have to feel bad for the troops there. Carrying out the racist whims of Orange Tub O' Goo with bone spurs. Not what (most of them) signed up for

PostPosted: November 14 18, 3:41 pm 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Freed Roger wrote:
Have to feel bad for the troops there. Carrying out the racist whims of Orange Tub O' Goo with bone spurs. Not what (most of them) signed up for

You know they know they are just spinning their wheels down there. They aren't dumb. They can tell when there is a real mission and when there isn't.

Frankly, this demonstrates Trump's total contempt for our troops. He has such little regard for their time and their families that he will send them to defend the country from a non-existent threat of his own invention. A complete and total electoral ploy and everyone knows it, yet there they remain.

PostPosted: November 16 18, 1:47 pm 

Mattis makes a half- ass defense of deployment and it is comical.

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/416822-mattis-likens-border-deployment-to-1916-effort-to-counter-pancho-villa?amp

Quote:
Defense Secretary James Mattis on Wednesday defended the deployment of active duty troops to the U.S. border with Mexico, arguing that it is providing wartime training

Quote:
He added that he's heard from military officers that the deployment has been "very good training," as it serves as practice for wartime activities such as loading and unloading aircraft

Quote:
The former Marine Corps general also likened the deployment to former President Wilson's 1916 border deployment to counter the late Mexican revolutionary Gen. Francisco "Pancho" Villa

PostPosted: November 16 18, 2:42 pm 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Freed Roger wrote:

Most of them probably signed up to "shoot towl heads" as some of my military acquaintances put it. So I really don't feel sorry for them. Especially if they signed up after Trump was elected.

PostPosted: November 16 18, 3:32 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The former Marine Corps general also likened the deployment to former President Wilson's 1916 border deployment to counter the late Mexican revolutionary Gen. Francisco "Pancho" Villa

This is silly. My grandfather was an infantryman with General Pershing in the border deployment. Pancho Villa had been raiding American cities. There were rumors that the Germans were putting the Mexican government up to the whole thing. Rumors that were somewhat validated by the intercept of a cable.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zimmermann_Telegram

The Pershing expedition went in to Mexico with the idea of actually engaging Pancho Villa. The Mexican government did not allow Pershing to use the railway system. My grandfather said all he saw of Villa was 'dust on the horizon.' (or some such)

PostPosted: November 16 18, 9:34 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

doe_boy wrote:
Quote:

This is silly. My grandfather was an infantryman with General Pershing in the border deployment. Pancho Villa had been raiding American cities. There were rumors that the Germans were putting the Mexican government up to the whole thing. Rumors that were somewhat validated by the intercept of a cable.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zimmermann_Telegram

The Pershing expedition went in to Mexico with the idea of actually engaging Pancho Villa. The Mexican government did not allow Pershing to use the railway system. My grandfather said all he saw of Villa was 'dust on the horizon.' (or some such)

Villa and co actually invaded and took Columbus, N Mexico. The only foreign occupation of US soil?

Pretty cool grandpa story, doe_boy. My grandpa was born in 1887 or so. Unfortunately died before I was born so I didn’t get to hear cool grandpa stories about about the pre-car era and fighting in the Border War with Mexico or whatever adventures he had.