GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently May 23 19, 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject: Re: Right wing violence
PostPosted: April 27 19, 8:46 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

Quote:
Hasson's public defender Elizabeth Oyer told the court, "I fear that through the vivid imaginations and colorful writing of the prosecutors, the case has developed a profile that does not line up with the facts."
Oyer referenced President Donald Trump multiple times, comparing her client's racial slurs and targeting of Democrats and the media to similar views that the President has taken.
Oyer said the list of names Hasson had allegedly assembled didn't amount to a hit list but "looks like the sort of list that our commander in chief might have compiled while watching Fox News in the morning."
She added that while the racial slurs Hasson allegedly used in private writings were condemnable, they are now part of the "national vocabulary."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/25/politics ... index.html

PostPosted: April 28 19, 6:55 pm 
Hall Of Famer

lukethedrifter wrote:
Quote:
Hasson's public defender Elizabeth Oyer told the court, "I fear that through the vivid imaginations and colorful writing of the prosecutors, the case has developed a profile that does not line up with the facts."
Oyer referenced President Donald Trump multiple times, comparing her client's racial slurs and targeting of Democrats and the media to similar views that the President has taken.
Oyer said the list of names Hasson had allegedly assembled didn't amount to a hit list but "looks like the sort of list that our commander in chief might have compiled while watching Fox News in the morning."
She added that while the racial slurs Hasson allegedly used in private writings were condemnable, they are now part of the "national vocabulary."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/25/politics ... index.html

IANAL but this seems like a lousy defense, and apparently this public defender graduated from Harvard Law about 15 years ago. I kinda wonder if she fell in love with phrases like "developed a profile" and "national vocabulary", because these arguments seem tangential to the reason Hasson was let go (the prosecutor hasn't charged him with the heavy stuff).

I don't like my job. It just doesn't give me any kind of self-actualization, or some other new age, Maslow hierarchy BS. I've looked into public defender-type jobs, and AFAICT most of the work is dealing with enormous amounts of bureaucratic nonsense. If you're lucky and talented enough, then you graduate to defending the Christopher Hassons of the world.

PostPosted: May 1 19, 3:00 am 
Hall Of Famer

Washington Rep. Matt Shea tells God and Country gathering to prepare for civil war.

Quote:
Shea’s speech flirted with themes of civil war, but mostly focused on the idea of separating eastern Washington out into a separate political entity, with the view of having “an entire geographic area repent”.

He began by proposing “a simple idea that may make you cringe a little at first. And that idea is that liberty must be kept by force.”

Shea said the reason America was no longer a “beacon of Christianity”, was “because of compromise. And it’s not knowing that the communists are training, they’re planning, they’re organizing and they are lying in wait.”

Trump is never letting go. He encourages this [expletive].

Quote:
In a broadcast immediately after Trump’s election in 2016, Shea hosted Byrd on his radio broadcast and podcast, where they reflected on the opportunity the election presented.

“We’re here to take dominion under Christ,” Byrd reminded Shea at one point in the broadcast. “As you know, that has to do with government.”

PostPosted: May 2 19, 10:02 pm 
Perennial All-Star

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
Washington Rep. Matt Shea tells God and Country gathering to prepare for civil war.

Quote:
Shea’s speech flirted with themes of civil war, but mostly focused on the idea of separating eastern Washington out into a separate political entity, with the view of having “an entire geographic area repent”.

He began by proposing “a simple idea that may make you cringe a little at first. And that idea is that liberty must be kept by force.”

Shea said the reason America was no longer a “beacon of Christianity”, was “because of compromise. And it’s not knowing that the communists are training, they’re planning, they’re organizing and they are lying in wait.”

Trump is never letting go. He encourages this [expletive].

Quote:
In a broadcast immediately after Trump’s election in 2016, Shea hosted Byrd on his radio broadcast and podcast, where they reflected on the opportunity the election presented.

“We’re here to take dominion under Christ,” Byrd reminded Shea at one point in the broadcast. “As you know, that has to do with government.”

Having lived in both Western and Eastern Washington, I understand that the people in Eastern Washington do have some legitimate beefs about Seattle dominating state politics, but cutting the state in two is nuts (for the record, I also think the idea of WA, OR, and CA breaking away to form “Ecotopia” is also nuts). But people like Shea are totally off their rocker. Dominionist Christianity is an offshoot of the prosperity gospel and is viewed as heresy by most Evangelicals. But when people like Paula White are advising Trump, these kooks are dangerously close to bringing us all into their looney tunes world.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12