GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently April 20 19, 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nancy Pelosi
PostPosted: November 15 18, 12:50 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Schumer definitely ought to be the priority. Saw Chris Murphy as a suggestion, which seems like a great choice.

PostPosted: November 15 18, 1:03 pm 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Nancy Pelosi is the best person for the job, for now.

Schumer does suck in the Senate. Time for him to pass the torch to someone more effective. Yurtle has been making Schumer his [expletive] for the last 10 years.

PostPosted: November 20 18, 9:09 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Have to say I’m happy to see Seth Moulton get checked here. Marcia Fudge, the rep he was supporting to oust Pelosi, I guess because he didn’t want to risk losing, cut a deal with Pelosi for a chair position and is now supporting her.

I think I’m happier having the left wing of the House push and cut deals with Pelosi, rather than trying to oust her. She seems to get which way the wind is blowing.

PostPosted: November 21 18, 8:36 am 
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Unless there is something fundamentally wrong about how Pelosi performs the job behind the scenes that we don't know about, I think keeping her in the Speaker role is the right move. She's already (unfairly) a lightning rod for conservatives--any new person they put in this role will become the same. She's fairly far left, but I think she does a fair job pushing through workable solutions.

More importantly I think Democrats need to start accepting Pelosi for the good work she does, instead of just joining with conservatives in tearing her down. She has a lower approval rating in exit polls than Donald Trump by a large margin. That's ridiculous.

PostPosted: November 21 18, 10:03 am 
Hall Of Famer

Popeye_Card wrote:
Unless there is something fundamentally wrong about how Pelosi performs the job behind the scenes that we don't know about, I think keeping her in the Speaker role is the right move. She's already (unfairly) a lightning rod for conservatives--any new person they put in this role will become the same. She's fairly far left, but I think she does a fair job pushing through workable solutions.

More importantly I think Democrats need to start accepting Pelosi for the good work she does, instead of just joining with conservatives in tearing her down. She has a lower approval rating in exit polls than Donald Trump by a large margin. That's ridiculous.

If she's staying, she needs to surround herself with the most promising from the young lions of the party and mentor the hell out of them. Then step down gracefully in 2020 or 2022. The party that embraces the 25-35 year olds now will win the long game.

PostPosted: November 21 18, 10:25 am 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Popeye_Card wrote:

Agreed. I myself have a slight antipathy towards Nancy Pelosi, but why? Can I give any specific reason? Not really. I've just absorbed 15 years worth of Republican media attacks against her to the point that it seems like a tactical move to replace her. Would it though? They GOP just ran a 50 state negative campaign against her and the Democrats just had their best midterms since Watergate. She gave a pre-election briefing to donors and pretty much nailed the outcome. Whomever eventually replaces her as Speaker will invariably be demonized as a liberal elite baby killer. She seems to be doing a good job of carrying that weight so let her keep doing it until the next Speaker emerges from the Dem caucus.

PostPosted: November 21 18, 10:48 am 
Hall Of Famer

G. Keenan wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:

Agreed. I myself have a slight antipathy towards Nancy Pelosi, but why? Can I give any specific reason? Not really. I've just absorbed 15 years worth of Republican media attacks against her to the point that it seems like a tactical move to replace her. Would it though? They GOP just ran a 50 state negative campaign against her and the Democrats just had their best midterms since Watergate. She gave a pre-election briefing to donors and pretty much nailed the outcome. Whomever eventually replaces her as Speaker will invariably be demonized as a liberal elite baby killer. She seems to be doing a good job of carrying that weight so let her keep doing it until the next Speaker emerges from the Dem caucus.

She's old. She's more into compromising wih these [expletive] who only want to kill her. The soft spot of all Clinton era Democrats right through Obama. The country needs people who will stand up to the awfullness of the GOP.

PostPosted: November 21 18, 10:57 am 
Hall Of Famer

Someone on Facebook shared a link that ranked all the members of the House over the years as far as how "far left" they were. Pelosi was more to the left than most. Barbara Lee, the one a lot of people are pushing for, was farther left still. Over their careers, Pelosi was like #25 and Lee was #18 (with lower being farther left). But just in the last 2 years, though, Pelosi was #44 while Lee was tied for #8. Pelosi has drifted right. Ah, I found it:
http://progressivepunch.org/scores.htm?house=house

Between those two, I'd prefer Lee....but my ideal would be someone ~25 years younger than both Pelosi and Lee (keep in mind, that is still someone roughly 50 years old). I'm not sure who though. I'm ready for the next generation to take over, especially when you look at the even more ancient bunch Republicans send to Washington. I just think younger candidates for things in general could energize young voters, who the Democrats desperately need to vote in bigger numbers. That was part of Obama's success for example.

PostPosted: November 21 18, 11:04 am 
Hall Of Famer

The progressive caucus has endorsed Pelosi and Lee has shown interest in Dem Caucus chair, so I don’t know why that keeps getting brought up.

I guess I’m not sure how much the Speaker sets party agenda, but it seems that’s largely out of her hands (especially if others make it their business to set or influence the agenda) and her job comes down to getting people in line behind what they decide they’d like to do, and calling bills to the floor. Seems more management than anything, and I don’t know that it’s worth all the fuss.

I think if the progressives I favor can push her while getting along with her and she’s ok with being pushed (seems that way to me) than I’m fine with her staying put for now.

PostPosted: December 10 18, 10:32 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Popeye_Card wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
Would rather be safe, have Clinton Pelosi Schumer free Dems though. Dreaming.

This should probably be transferred to the Pelosi thread, but why do the Democrats need to be Pelosi free?

One of the best things the Democrats could do for themselves is to quit tearing down their own. The Clintons, I can fully understand. Schumer, maybe. I don't get why we continue to treat Pelosi like a pariah when she's done a great job over the years.

I am not tearing her down. The moderate GOPers and independents (at least ones that feign to be), continue to use these tainted buzzwords like Pelosi, etc to stay the way they are. Perhaps my Missouri-based sample size.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next