GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently August 18 19, 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: November 19 18, 5:16 pm 
Hall Of Famer

I’m not sure if it’s the location or that the intense media environment brings it out of people, but Cuomo and DiBlasio seem like the Trumpiest Democrats around. Followed maybe by Rahm.

PostPosted: December 18 18, 8:55 am 
Hall Of Famer

Amazon workers in New York just announced their plan to unionize
Quote:
Amazon warehouse workers in New York City are trying to unionize — a development the $800 billion company has tried to prevent for years.

On Wednesday, a group of employees from the company’s warehouse in Staten Island announced the plan along with organizers from the Retail, Wholesale, and Department Store Union. That union is also working with employees at Whole Foods, a grocery chain now owned by Amazon.

The union push, which was first reported by Bloomberg, centers on a simple proposal: If the city and state are giving Amazon a $3 billion tax break to build a regional headquarters nearby, then the company should use some of that money to pay higher wages to warehouse workers and improve their working conditions. And, the organizers say, a negotiated labor contract is the only way to get the company to do so.

If a majority of the Staten Island workers agree, they will be the first Amazon employees in the United States to join a labor union — a move the company has long tried to discourage.

At a press conference outside New York City Hall Wednesday morning, employees from the company’s Staten Island location shared a long list of complaints. Rashad Long, who started working there in October, said managers force employees to work 12-hour shifts five or six days in a row.

“It takes me four hours every day to get to and from work. Between my work schedule and my commute, I haven’t seen my daughter in weeks,” Long said in his statement, which one of his colleagues read during the conference.

Long’s co-workers nodded as he described feeling unsafe at work — he specifically mentioned that the warehouse’s sprinkler system and smoke detectors are broken.

But his most disheartening complaint suggests that employees feel less valued than the robots nearby.

“The third and fourth floors are so hot that I sweat through my shirts even when it’s freezing cold outside,” Long said. “We have asked the company to provide air conditioning, but the company told us that the robots inside cannot work in the cold weather.”

PostPosted: December 18 18, 9:21 am 
Hall Of Famer

Jesus

Quote:
Amazon workers in New York just announced their plan to unionize[/url]“We have asked the company to provide air conditioning, but the company told us that the robots inside cannot work in the cold weather.”

PostPosted: December 18 18, 11:04 am 
Don't tone police me bro!

ghostrunner wrote:
Jesus

Quote:
Amazon workers in New York just announced their plan to unionize[/url]“We have asked the company to provide air conditioning, but the company told us that the robots inside cannot work in the cold weather.”

totally normal society we live in

PostPosted: December 18 18, 11:39 am 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.
Amazon's answer to both unionization and temperature control is to be 100% robotized by 2022.

PostPosted: December 18 18, 11:54 am 
Hall Of Famer

Once they realize that computer processing is more efficient at colder temperatures they'll turn the AC on.

PostPosted: February 4 19, 10:00 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Some great journalism here. Inside Mt. Pleasant WI and the Foxconn deal. December 8 story, somewhat prophetic.
https://www.gimletmedia.com/reply-all/132-negative-mount-pleasant
Quote:
People were so mad about the New York Amazon deal because they were saying it was twice as big as the normal incentive package. The Foxconn deal is 10 times as big.

But I still wondered -- okay so the town maybe the town really overpaid for a bunch of jobs. But it could still be worth it in the long run. I mean, eventually they are going to make that money back, right?

Well, that assumes that this factory itself actually succeeds. And when I started asking pretty basic questions about the factory, things got pretty fuzzy quickly. Foxconn had started off saying it would make these high-end LCD TVs. But after the deal was signed, they said maybe not.

Quote:
the actual lifespan of a factory has been getting and shorter over time. I talked to this investigative journalist named Larry Tabak, who said that the factories that make cutting edge technology, those factories go obsolete faster, just like the technology they make.

Quote:
they’re betting the future of the town with money they don’t have, assuming technology that they don’t understand and benefits that are going to be distributed widely but not necessarily in their community. That’s a fool’s bet.

A lot of costs sunk, land purchased (blighted!) - but perhaps better if WI cuts their losses now.

PostPosted: February 8 19, 11:52 am 
Hall Of Famer

PostPosted: February 8 19, 12:50 pm 
Hall Of Famer

I wonder how the WaPo got that scoop, about what Amazon is "thinking".

PostPosted: February 14 19, 10:15 am 
Hall Of Famer

Inside Wisconsin’s Disastrous $4.5 Billion Deal With Foxconn
Quote:
As a bidding war heated up among a handful of states, including Michigan and Ohio, Wisconsin upped its offer. Foxconn demanded subsidies that would make U.S. operations as cheap as in China, and Hogan says Foxconn estimated a 30 percent cost difference. He acknowledges the subsidy numbers grew “staggering” but says Foxconn won’t get those incentives without delivering the promised numbers of jobs.

Wisconsin’s final bid, written on a single piece of paper, offered as much as $150 million in sales tax exemptions and $2.9 billion in refundable tax credits on the condition that Foxconn meet certain hiring and capital investment thresholds. Other public costs, including $764 million in local incentives from Mount Pleasant and its home county of Racine, made up the other third of the package. When the team slid the paper to Woo in July, Hogan recalls, he folded it up and said, “Terry wants to do business with Governor Walker.”

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next