GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently March 24 19, 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 501 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 51  Next
PostPosted: January 8 19, 2:52 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Assuming she continues to grow as a politician/leader I can side with, I'd like to see a successful AOC progress thru the house and/or senate ranks. Get on the powerful committees. Sen Majority leader etc well before president.

This would be more useful to dems and progressives-she could solidify progressive causes. And her replacements as she moves up would likely have to follow her lead. (assuming she plans out as a leader).

PostPosted: January 9 19, 8:40 am 
Hall Of Famer

Freed Roger wrote:
Assuming she continues to grow as a politician/leader I can side with, I'd like to see a successful AOC progress thru the house and/or senate ranks. Get on the powerful committees. Sen Majority leader etc well before president.

This would be more useful to dems and progressives-she could solidify progressive causes. And her replacements as she moves up would likely have to follow her lead. (assuming she plans out as a leader).

I'm curious what her thoughts on this are.

Would honestly like her to primary Schumer as I think he's nearly worthless. Not sure if this is how it would pan out, but there's a NY State Senator who shares at least part of AOC's district - Alessandra Biaggi - who was just elected and seems like she'd be a great US Rep.

PostPosted: January 9 19, 12:14 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

ghostrunner wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:

Would honestly like her to primary Schumer as I think he's nearly worthless. .

Yeah, think about if she primaried Schumer, how transformational that could be for the democratic party.

And Obama's quick rise to POTUS -admidst the noise -he did flounder at the start. I like the wiser, evolved Obama more than the hope and change guy of 2008.

And now, he is largely out of making change in US politics. With the pace people have AOC tracking on, she'll be out to pasture in her mid-40s.

PostPosted: January 9 19, 1:13 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Freed Roger wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:

Would honestly like her to primary Schumer as I think he's nearly worthless. .

Yeah, think about if she primaried Schumer, how transformational that could be for the democratic party.

And Obama's quick rise to POTUS -admidst the noise -he did flounder at the start. I like the wiser, evolved Obama more than the hope and change guy of 2008.

And now, he is largely out of making change in US politics. With the pace people have AOC tracking on, she'll be out to pasture in her mid-40s.

Weird thing is that I think Obama was getting somewhat better and bolder by the time he left. Seemed to stop worrying so much about Republicans. Though that was partially an adaptation to reality I suppose.

PostPosted: January 10 19, 1:55 pm 
99% conan clips

Quote:
The Exceptions to the Rulers

When people of color enter elite spaces, they’re often attacked as undeserving charlatans. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is no different.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ez/579901/

Quote:
Conservatives’ obsession with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez may seem ridiculous. Ever since the 29-year-old former bartender wrested the Democratic primary nomination from the 10-term incumbent Joe Crowley, right-wing media has fixated on the unapologetically left-wing representative. From her clothes to her nickname to her high school to her childhood home, conservatives seem particularly intent on proving that her working-class background is fraudulent.

Some of the frenzy is rooted in sexism—conservative pundits have referred to Ocasio-Cortez as a “little girl,” and openly fantasized about going on a “date or two” with her. Some of it has to do with her politics—she recently suggested taxing income above $10 million at 70 percent, anathema to conservatives (but hardly as radical as they wish it were). She is an effective avatar of the rising left: a young, working-class person of color who is fluent in the culture of the internet and, unusually for a Democrat with a national profile, not easily spooked by criticism from the right. It is not surprising that conservatives would oppose Ocasio-Cortez; her politics are opposed to theirs. But that fails to explain the degree of interest she has drawn from her right-wing critics since winning the primary last year.

Distinct from the mainstream press’s fact-checks of Ocasio-Cortez’s errors or exaggerations, the attempts to discredit her personal history are related to a core argument of the Donald Trump–era Republican Party. “The Democrat Party’s vision is to offer them free health care, free welfare, free education and even the right to vote,” warned Trump just before the 2018 midterms, speaking of Central American migrants seeking asylum. “You and the hardworking taxpayers of our country will be asked to pick up the entire tab.” Broad-based prosperity for white Americans, Trump contends, would be within reach, if people of color and their white liberal allies had not restructured society so that undeserving minorities succeed at their expense.

PostPosted: January 10 19, 3:49 pm 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Jocephus wrote:
Quote:
The Exceptions to the Rulers

When people of color enter elite spaces, they’re often attacked as undeserving charlatans. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is no different.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ez/579901/

Quote:
Conservatives’ obsession with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez may seem ridiculous. Ever since the 29-year-old former bartender wrested the Democratic primary nomination from the 10-term incumbent Joe Crowley, right-wing media has fixated on the unapologetically left-wing representative. From her clothes to her nickname to her high school to her childhood home, conservatives seem particularly intent on proving that her working-class background is fraudulent.

Some of the frenzy is rooted in sexism—conservative pundits have referred to Ocasio-Cortez as a “little girl,” and openly fantasized about going on a “date or two” with her. Some of it has to do with her politics—she recently suggested taxing income above $10 million at 70 percent, anathema to conservatives (but hardly as radical as they wish it were). She is an effective avatar of the rising left: a young, working-class person of color who is fluent in the culture of the internet and, unusually for a Democrat with a national profile, not easily spooked by criticism from the right. It is not surprising that conservatives would oppose Ocasio-Cortez; her politics are opposed to theirs. But that fails to explain the degree of interest she has drawn from her right-wing critics since winning the primary last year.

Distinct from the mainstream press’s fact-checks of Ocasio-Cortez’s errors or exaggerations, the attempts to discredit her personal history are related to a core argument of the Donald Trump–era Republican Party. “The Democrat Party’s vision is to offer them free health care, free welfare, free education and even the right to vote,” warned Trump just before the 2018 midterms, speaking of Central American migrants seeking asylum. “You and the hardworking taxpayers of our country will be asked to pick up the entire tab.” Broad-based prosperity for white Americans, Trump contends, would be within reach, if people of color and their white liberal allies had not restructured society so that undeserving minorities succeed at their expense.

Damn, you beat me to it. Was just coming to post that.

Pretty much nails it, imo.

PostPosted: January 11 19, 8:40 am 
Hall Of Famer

The D.C. blob is trying to reign in AOC, and unfortunately, it may be working. :(

Exasperated Democrats try to rein in Ocasio-Cortez
Quote:
“Washington is a political animal where a lot of the work that you want to accomplish depends on relationships within the Democratic Caucus,” said Velázquez, who described herself as a “bridge” between Ocasio-Cortez and the caucus. “The honeymoon between the voters that you represent and yourself could be a short one. People want to see results.”

Other lawmakers agreed.

“I think she needs to give herself an opportunity to know her colleagues and to give herself a sense of the chemistry of the body before passing judgment on anyone or anything,” said Rep. Yvette Clarke, a fellow New York Democrat.

“She’s new here, feeling her way around,” added Rep. Kurt Schrader (D-Ore.). “She doesn’t understand how the place works yet.”

Ocasio-Cortez, through her staff, declined to be interviewed for this story. But there are signs that she’s getting the message, at least when it comes to backing primary challenges against her colleagues.

In a brief exchange off the House floor recently, she said she wasn’t interested in backing progressive candidates against incumbent Democrats — contradicting her own words after the midterms. She also criticized POLITICO for publishing a story suggesting she considered backing a primary opponent against rising star Rep. Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.), who many believe could become the first black speaker.

“I’m focused on my job,” Ocasio-Cortez said.

Her spokesman, Corbin Trent, added: “There has been a change in focus — though not a change in ideology.”

PostPosted: January 11 19, 11:40 am 
99% conan clips

PostPosted: January 11 19, 12:21 pm 
Hall Of Famer

pioneer98 wrote:
The D.C. blob is trying to reign in AOC, and unfortunately, it may be working. :(

Exasperated Democrats try to rein in Ocasio-Cortez

Good thread on this:

PostPosted: January 11 19, 12:28 pm 
just can't quit you.

Who dis?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 501 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 51  Next