GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently March 24 19, 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 501 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 51  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: January 8 19, 9:41 am 
Offline
Perennial All-Star

Joined: June 15 06, 6:11 am
Posts: 4737
Location: Minneapolis
I assume 35 before being sworn in, so my math says she'd be old enough, even if this discussion is a little premature.

I also remember a time when the age-group of males on this board would have been concerned with a countdown timer for when Natalie Portman turned 18. Now it's concerned about a countdown for when someone is old enough to be president. #signsyou'regettingold


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 8 19, 9:51 am 
Offline
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.
User avatar

Joined: December 6 10, 1:09 am
Posts: 11308
Location: Illinois
GeddyWrox wrote:
If AOC can avoid scandals and/or being tied to corporate interests, she is going to rise to the top FAST. I think a serious presidential run in 2024 (or 2028 if Dem is the incumbent in 24) is in her future.



I don't see how she can survive the propaganda machine. That's a lot of time for them to work against her and it won't just be the right this time. ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN area all in the tank for the ultra wealthy and there is no way they will be on her side if she has a real shot at being President. They stand to lose to much if this country actually starts working for the average person.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 8 19, 10:01 am 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 9:40 pm
Posts: 23810
I think the media likes clicks and ratings and she'll bring those.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 8 19, 10:23 am 
Offline
Perennial All-Star

Joined: April 18 06, 7:45 pm
Posts: 3636
GeddyWrox wrote:
thrill wrote:
Will she be old enough in '24?

Good question. I had just assumed she would be. But it depends on when the person has to turn 35.
Born: October 13, 1989 (age 29 years)

If it's at the time you gain the nomination, then no, she wouldn't. But if it is by the day of the general election or swearing in, then yes.


My quick google says you must be 35 to be a candidate so that seems to me that she wouldn’t, but leaves gray area


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 8 19, 10:35 am 
Offline
Replies Authoritatively
User avatar

Joined: April 7 13, 9:45 am
Posts: 6300
Location: Chicago, IL
I love me some AOC and I hope she has a long career in Washington but I also think it's way too soon to talk about her being POTUS. We'd have to be talking about one pretty special leader to be POTUS at 35. Not an idealist, but a leader. Can anyone imagine her having arms talks with Iran in six years? Trade talks with China? Regulatory talks with a group of Wall Street leaders? I can see her doing that in the future, but I don't think she's ready for that now or that she will be ready in four years to put her name into a POTUS race.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 8 19, 10:54 am 
Offline
bronoun enthusiast
User avatar

Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Posts: 28058
Location: extremely online
33anda3rd wrote:
I love me some AOC and I hope she has a long career in Washington but I also think it's way too soon to talk about her being POTUS. We'd have to be talking about one pretty special leader to be POTUS at 35. Not an idealist, but a leader. Can anyone imagine her having arms talks with Iran in six years? Trade talks with China? Regulatory talks with a group of Wall Street leaders? I can see her doing that in the future, but I don't think she's ready for that now or that she will be ready in four years to put her name into a POTUS race.

I also think the role she's playing now as the firebrand outsider who pushes the party left and helps them see that her agenda can win elections is way more valuable than whatever version of her would have to exist to be president. We need voices like hers that draw attention and get people all over the country, even in the reddest areas, to get used to hearing about the things she's pushing.

How many people do you think know more about our tax code today than they did a week ago? I know I do, and I'm a smart guy who cares about this stuff. Her ability to dominate the discourse is her single greatest and most valuable trait.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 8 19, 11:09 am 
Offline
bronoun enthusiast
User avatar

Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Posts: 28058
Location: extremely online
This does a better job explaining what I just said:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ch ... or-the-pro

The ability to dominate the news cycle is power.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 8 19, 11:52 am 
Offline
just can't quit you.
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 4:33 pm
Posts: 23288
Location: Lost
GeddyWrox wrote:
thrill wrote:
Will she be old enough in '24?

Good question. I had just assumed she would be. But it depends on when the person has to turn 35.
Born: October 13, 1989 (age 29 years)

If it's at the time you gain the nomination, then no, she wouldn't. But if it is by the day of the general election or swearing in, then yes.

My God. I was a sophomore in college when she was born....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 8 19, 12:34 pm 
Offline
Replies Authoritatively
User avatar

Joined: April 7 13, 9:45 am
Posts: 6300
Location: Chicago, IL
thrill wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
I love me some AOC and I hope she has a long career in Washington but I also think it's way too soon to talk about her being POTUS. We'd have to be talking about one pretty special leader to be POTUS at 35. Not an idealist, but a leader. Can anyone imagine her having arms talks with Iran in six years? Trade talks with China? Regulatory talks with a group of Wall Street leaders? I can see her doing that in the future, but I don't think she's ready for that now or that she will be ready in four years to put her name into a POTUS race.

I also think the role she's playing now as the firebrand outsider who pushes the party left and helps them see that her agenda can win elections is way more valuable than whatever version of her would have to exist to be president. We need voices like hers that draw attention and get people all over the country, even in the reddest areas, to get used to hearing about the things she's pushing.

How many people do you think know more about our tax code today than they did a week ago? I know I do, and I'm a smart guy who cares about this stuff. Her ability to dominate the discourse is her single greatest and most valuable trait.


What's funny is we know that because of the morons on the right. She says 70% marginal tax, they get up in arms, everyone one the internet rushes to explain to one another what a marginal tax rate is, now people know. If she said 70% marginal tax rate and the GOP didn't act like she said something crazy (like, say, concentration camps for refugee babies was considered crazy a year ago) then the public wouldn't be as hip to the facts. Which is weird as hell.

I've said this on this board like 8X but "The Price Of Civilization" by Jeff Sachs is an absolute must read for anyone progressive (anyone at all really) who wants to understand the function and necessity of taxes (esp on the wealthy) in this country. We should have a GRB Progressives Book Club thread on this book. It's vital, instrumental, important, and like 7 years old already.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 8 19, 2:30 pm 
Offline
bronoun enthusiast
User avatar

Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Posts: 28058
Location: extremely online
33anda3rd wrote:
I've said this on this board like 8X but "The Price Of Civilization" by Jeff Sachs is an absolute must read for anyone progressive (anyone at all really) who wants to understand the function and necessity of taxes (esp on the wealthy) in this country. We should have a GRB Progressives Book Club thread on this book. It's vital, instrumental, important, and like 7 years old already.

I would do a book club, progressive or otherwise, if someone else is doing all the work to organize it.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 501 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 51  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group