GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently March 24 19, 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 501 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 51  Next
PostPosted: January 8 19, 9:41 am 
Perennial All-Star

I assume 35 before being sworn in, so my math says she'd be old enough, even if this discussion is a little premature.

I also remember a time when the age-group of males on this board would have been concerned with a countdown timer for when Natalie Portman turned 18. Now it's concerned about a countdown for when someone is old enough to be president. #signsyou'regettingold

PostPosted: January 8 19, 9:51 am 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

GeddyWrox wrote:
If AOC can avoid scandals and/or being tied to corporate interests, she is going to rise to the top FAST. I think a serious presidential run in 2024 (or 2028 if Dem is the incumbent in 24) is in her future.

I don't see how she can survive the propaganda machine. That's a lot of time for them to work against her and it won't just be the right this time. ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN area all in the tank for the ultra wealthy and there is no way they will be on her side if she has a real shot at being President. They stand to lose to much if this country actually starts working for the average person.

PostPosted: January 8 19, 10:01 am 
Hall Of Famer

I think the media likes clicks and ratings and she'll bring those.

PostPosted: January 8 19, 10:23 am 
Perennial All-Star

GeddyWrox wrote:
thrill wrote:
Will she be old enough in '24?

Good question. I had just assumed she would be. But it depends on when the person has to turn 35.
Born: October 13, 1989 (age 29 years)

If it's at the time you gain the nomination, then no, she wouldn't. But if it is by the day of the general election or swearing in, then yes.

My quick google says you must be 35 to be a candidate so that seems to me that she wouldn’t, but leaves gray area

PostPosted: January 8 19, 10:35 am 
Replies Authoritatively

I love me some AOC and I hope she has a long career in Washington but I also think it's way too soon to talk about her being POTUS. We'd have to be talking about one pretty special leader to be POTUS at 35. Not an idealist, but a leader. Can anyone imagine her having arms talks with Iran in six years? Trade talks with China? Regulatory talks with a group of Wall Street leaders? I can see her doing that in the future, but I don't think she's ready for that now or that she will be ready in four years to put her name into a POTUS race.

PostPosted: January 8 19, 10:54 am 
bronoun enthusiast

33anda3rd wrote:
I love me some AOC and I hope she has a long career in Washington but I also think it's way too soon to talk about her being POTUS. We'd have to be talking about one pretty special leader to be POTUS at 35. Not an idealist, but a leader. Can anyone imagine her having arms talks with Iran in six years? Trade talks with China? Regulatory talks with a group of Wall Street leaders? I can see her doing that in the future, but I don't think she's ready for that now or that she will be ready in four years to put her name into a POTUS race.

I also think the role she's playing now as the firebrand outsider who pushes the party left and helps them see that her agenda can win elections is way more valuable than whatever version of her would have to exist to be president. We need voices like hers that draw attention and get people all over the country, even in the reddest areas, to get used to hearing about the things she's pushing.

How many people do you think know more about our tax code today than they did a week ago? I know I do, and I'm a smart guy who cares about this stuff. Her ability to dominate the discourse is her single greatest and most valuable trait.

PostPosted: January 8 19, 11:09 am 
bronoun enthusiast

This does a better job explaining what I just said:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ch ... or-the-pro

The ability to dominate the news cycle is power.

PostPosted: January 8 19, 11:52 am 
just can't quit you.

GeddyWrox wrote:
thrill wrote:
Will she be old enough in '24?

Good question. I had just assumed she would be. But it depends on when the person has to turn 35.
Born: October 13, 1989 (age 29 years)

If it's at the time you gain the nomination, then no, she wouldn't. But if it is by the day of the general election or swearing in, then yes.

My God. I was a sophomore in college when she was born....

PostPosted: January 8 19, 12:34 pm 
Replies Authoritatively

thrill wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:

I also think the role she's playing now as the firebrand outsider who pushes the party left and helps them see that her agenda can win elections is way more valuable than whatever version of her would have to exist to be president. We need voices like hers that draw attention and get people all over the country, even in the reddest areas, to get used to hearing about the things she's pushing.

How many people do you think know more about our tax code today than they did a week ago? I know I do, and I'm a smart guy who cares about this stuff. Her ability to dominate the discourse is her single greatest and most valuable trait.

What's funny is we know that because of the morons on the right. She says 70% marginal tax, they get up in arms, everyone one the internet rushes to explain to one another what a marginal tax rate is, now people know. If she said 70% marginal tax rate and the GOP didn't act like she said something crazy (like, say, concentration camps for refugee babies was considered crazy a year ago) then the public wouldn't be as hip to the facts. Which is weird as hell.

I've said this on this board like 8X but "The Price Of Civilization" by Jeff Sachs is an absolute must read for anyone progressive (anyone at all really) who wants to understand the function and necessity of taxes (esp on the wealthy) in this country. We should have a GRB Progressives Book Club thread on this book. It's vital, instrumental, important, and like 7 years old already.

PostPosted: January 8 19, 2:30 pm 
bronoun enthusiast

33anda3rd wrote:
I've said this on this board like 8X but "The Price Of Civilization" by Jeff Sachs is an absolute must read for anyone progressive (anyone at all really) who wants to understand the function and necessity of taxes (esp on the wealthy) in this country. We should have a GRB Progressives Book Club thread on this book. It's vital, instrumental, important, and like 7 years old already.

I would do a book club, progressive or otherwise, if someone else is doing all the work to organize it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 501 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 51  Next