GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 23 19, 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: August 6 19, 7:00 pm 
http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy

Since Clinton was elected in '92, only one Republican was elected via the popular vote (George W. Bush re-election in '04). When are we getting rid of the antiquated electoral college system? The senate discussion is a whole nother animal, but it's in the similar antiquated vein (although understood it's about states' rights and being a republic). So how would one if they were so inclined even go about challenging these systems? Petition to the Supreme Court? Congress needs to add an amendment? Who would initiate it?

PostPosted: August 6 19, 7:49 pm 
Replies Authoritatively

Constitutional Amendment. To ratify:
2/3 of the house
2/3 of the senate
3/4 of the states

PostPosted: August 6 19, 8:13 pm 
Hall Of Famer

33anda3rd wrote:
Constitutional Amendment. To ratify:
2/3 of the house
2/3 of the senate
3/4 of the states

IE: Never going to happen.

PostPosted: August 6 19, 8:31 pm 
Hall Of Famer

To the electoral college question, this, not a constitutional amendment is the answer.

The Senate situation is more hopeless as the Constitution says it can never be abolished even by amendment. But because the Constitution is a fundamentally bad system, new states can be added by a simple majority vote, so the route would mostly be to use that power aggressively until everyone agrees that it makes no sense and agrees to change. That said, partisan fighting surrounding the ill-conceived state admission system was the lead up to the Civil War, so not hugely encouraging.

PostPosted: August 7 19, 4:57 am 
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

I think I would be OK if states went to splitting their congressional EV’s by % of popular vote, with the senate EV’s going to the winner of the state, as some states have done. Not as big of fan of doing this by congressional district because of gerrymandering.

Did anyone ever do an analysis of how 2016 would have turned out in this scenario?

PostPosted: August 7 19, 6:06 am 
Replies Authoritatively

Popeye_Card wrote:
I think I would be OK if states went to splitting their congressional EV’s by % of popular vote, with the senate EV’s going to the winner of the state, as some states have done. Not as big of fan of doing this by congressional district because of gerrymandering.

Did anyone ever do an analysis of how 2016 would have turned out in this scenario?

This is called the Proportional Popular Vote and you can make a map out of it on 270 To Win.

2016 would be really close
267 Trump
265 Clinton
6 Third Parties

PostPosted: August 7 19, 7:25 am 
MLB.TV Customer Support

Popeye_Card wrote:

My only problem with that is the limit on the number of representatives; a vote in Wyoming is worth a larger portion of an electoral vote than in California because we capped the size of the house 100 years ago. Everyone's vote should be worth the same for president no matter what state you live in.

I'm actually ok with having two senators per state but the power of the senate needs to be reigned in. Something that requires the senate to at least take action on things like SCOTUS nominations or bills passed by the house within a certain time frame and if not that bill/nomination is considered passed/approved (silence is consent) by the senate. And require the White House to fill judicial and cabinet vacancies in a specified time frame and if not, the house makes a nomination that is then voted on by the senate within a certain time frame. Changes like that prevent the Merrick Garland mess, prevents Moscow Mitch from blocking Obama's federal appointee's and preventing at-risk GOP senators from voting on things like election security and gun control.

I'd also like to see the house of representatives expanded and then not use districts but mixed member proportional - so more like the British Parliament where you vote for a party and not an individual so the Senate becomes your geographic representation. Boom; third party viability.

I'd be a good and kind benevolent dictator. Scout's honor.

PostPosted: August 7 19, 7:37 am 
Replies Authoritatively

vinsanity wrote:
I'm actually ok with having two senators per state but the power of the senate needs to be reigned in. Something that requires the senate to at least take action on things like SCOTUS nominations or bills passed by the house within a certain time frame and if not that bill/nomination is considered passed/approved (silence is consent) by the senate.

Realistically, these tasks would be better handled by the House, since it is a better representation of the desires of the country as a whole, than by the Senate, which is purposefully skewed to give more power to where the deer live than to where the people live.