GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently February 18 19, 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Green New Deal
PostPosted: December 11 18, 12:14 pm 
just can't quit you.

Honestly - we need to change the mindset of a lot of businesses.

I could do my entire job from home - that would eliminate 350 miles of travel per week times 48 weeks = 16,800 less miles I need to drive every year.

But, my company thinks for workers to be productive, we need to be stuck in an office all day so they can watch us.

What am I, 12?

(Even in the office I waste way too much time on GRB.)

Imagine how much driving and fuel usage can be saved if we allow more people to work from home?

PostPosted: December 11 18, 12:24 pm 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

wart57 wrote:
Honestly - we need to change the mindset of a lot of businesses.

I could do my entire job from home - that would eliminate 350 miles of travel per week times 48 weeks = 16,800 less miles I need to drive every year.

But, my company thinks for workers to be productive, we need to be stuck in an office all day so they can watch us.

What am I, 12?

(Even in the office I waste way too much time on GRB.)

Imagine how much driving and fuel usage can be saved if we allow more people to work from home?

I think your post is a great idea, more people should work from home. It helps not just in the miles you save but also alleviating congestion which adds to even more carbon being used.

I'm going to make a pretty big leap here but we really need to explore a universal basic income. There are so many people who have jobs that really aren't needed. Scripts and robots can replace a pretty huge portion of our workforce and if all those people didn't have to go to work everyday it would take a lot of stress off the environment.

It's not just the carbon foot print either that would matter. Let's say you got a significant number of people that live in areas were water supply is tight, like the southwest. What is even a quarter of those people that didn't have to go to work everyday didn't have to shower for work? I'm sure it's negligible on a small scale but if you have thousands of people who didn't need that morning coffee on the way to work that would surely move the needle on water usage as well. Seems like it would certainly help with a lot of our environmental issues if people could work from home, work less, or not at all.

PostPosted: December 11 18, 2:14 pm 
Hall Of Famer

The Uber "independent contractor" model where you work kind of your own schedule and work as much/little as you want would be way more attractive if we also had Medicare for All, affordable housing, affordable/free child care and other benefits like that in place. But since all those things are so expensive and all are paid out of pocket, it just doesn't work right now for most people.

Of course Uber also wants to totally automate their business....but here I'm just saying that "independent contractor" employment model could work in other fields if we had these other things in place.

PostPosted: December 11 18, 2:35 pm 
just can't quit you.

Life would be great if we didn't have to work in order to survive.

PostPosted: December 11 18, 2:40 pm 
Perennial All-Star

I concur with a lot of what wart and IMADreamer stated above. While there are certainly times (especially in team settings) where face-to-face interaction is advantageous, there are many office jobs that could be done remotely as we move more and more towards electronic files/away from paper.

pioneer and wart's posts just above this remind me of a guy whose webinar I hosted a few years back: Jeremy Rifkin. He wrote a book called "The Zero Marginal Cost Society: The internet of things, the collaborative commons, and the eclipse of capitalism". It's not about the Green New Deal, but it is about transforming society to more localized economies, prices drop, and people do more trading/community-oriented tasks/jobs.

If you don't want/have time to read the book, there's a YouTube video of his presentation from January of this year I would recommend. It'll only take 70 minutes of your life.

PostPosted: December 11 18, 2:49 pm 
Hall Of Famer

For many, work from home is fine and good, but I mostly hate it for me personally. Too much isolation and no separation of work from the rest of life.

PostPosted: December 11 18, 2:56 pm 
just can't quit you.

With 4 daughters and a Wife around the house, sometimes I need an escape, so going in to the office is a good thing...

PostPosted: December 11 18, 6:12 pm 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Working from home also means we only need one car.

PostPosted: December 13 18, 12:24 pm 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

I thought this thread was maybe most appropriate to put this good read about the affects of robotics and AI on the labor market, specifically the industrial Midwest and the South. Lot's of good stuff in here. I think AOC is right to make a jobs program part of the Green New Deal. Technological advance does grow the economic pie, but absent re distributive govt. intervention those gains will only go to the people already at the top.

The Robots Have Descended on Trump Country

PostPosted: February 1 19, 4:36 pm 
Perennial All-Star

Quote:
‘Green new deal’ bill coming as soon as next week

Democrats Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Sen. Ed Markey are set to unveil legislation laying out a “green new deal” as soon as next week, Axios reported. The green new deal is a set of vague, but broad progressive policy goals seeking to transform the economy in the name of fighting climate change, as Axios writes. But it has risen from obscurity to prominence since the November election, with Ocasio-Cortez leading the charge.

A spokeswoman for Markey told Axios the offices are working on legislation, but said there is no final text and timing isn’t final yet for next week. A request to Ocasio-Cortez’s office wasn’t immediately returned.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/mulva ... 2019-01-31