GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 17 19, 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: May 26 19, 9:18 am 
Replies Authoritatively

Ghost, I agree, I just have soundbite fatigue I guess. And I don't think, as Delaney notes in his tweet, that that ad is any indication that the UK is really good at messaging. They're in a Brexit crisis and on the doorstep of Boris Johnson being PM. That's largely due to a misinformed, ignorant electorate. If the UK's left was great at messaging they'd have killed Brexit pretty swiftly.

PostPosted: May 26 19, 9:56 am 
Don't tone police me bro!

33anda3rd wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:
greenback44 wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:
Labour in the UK does great PR, and I don’t know why the Democrats don’t have videos like this.

Go read the Bernie thread. Dude makes obvious simplifications to fit the sound bite limit and now his message can't be taken seriously.

I’m confused about what Bernie has to do with this.

Can't speak for greenback, can only speak for what I said in the Bernie thread that he's referring to. I'll speak to that.

This is a great little viral video. It's a guy complaining, giving us a series of highly relatable lines that come across as very off-the-cuff stream-of-consciousness even though they're almost certainly very carefully scripted to fit the tight, 2-minute run time that works for most peoples' attention spans. This is not a long, drawn-out policy piece with a lot of research and data points and fixes to problems (Yawn, right? Who wants to read a bunch of words, can't people be shorter and use less words?), rather it's a quick soundbite machine of complaint. I think Sanders is a soundbite machine of complaint too in a lot of ways. I think there's real conviction behind his soundbites. I think he's an impassioned guy who legitimately wants a better world, and I'm grateful that he inspired a generation (or three) to be more progressive and to stand up and demand this country be given back to all people. But I don't think he's the right person in the end to be POTUS because those soundbites are good for mobilizing people but he's not showed me enough real policy to make me think he has a plan beyond complaining. The guy in this video is also just kind of complaining.

At a certain point the soundbite machines of complaint have to give way to the Warrens of the world (and the AOC's who will inherit government from Warren's generation) who are not like "here's what's wrong!!!!" but are like "here's how I'm proposing we fix it."

This post is a great example of why the democratic party loses

PostPosted: May 26 19, 10:49 am 
Replies Authoritatively

Schlich wrote:
This post is a great example of why the democratic party loses

Did you vote for Clinton last time?

PostPosted: May 26 19, 11:02 am 
Hall Of Famer

The advertising I’ve seen from Labour has been in the past couple of years, so I guess I’m basing this on a handful of ads, so - fair point. I just know I haven’t seen any Democrat attempt to do what I think this ad does very well.

PostPosted: May 26 19, 12:42 pm 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

ghostrunner wrote:
Labour in the UK does great PR, and I don’t know why the Democrats don’t have videos like this.

You could have 4-5 of these that represent different regions and demographics

Ha, I know Retford well. Spent time there as a kid, used to go to school near there when I was young and would visit most years while my grandparents were still alive.

Good ad. People think emotionally. They vote emotionally. Republicans understand this much better than Democrats. Absolutely no one votes based on super well considered policy deliberations. Nobody.

Bernie has some pretty good ads along these lines.

This is really not that complicated. The rich are screwing you is the message. It might be harder to put that message out in the US though, because as a culture we are not comfortable discussing class issues. The rich tell us not to engage in class warfare and we meekly oblige.

PostPosted: May 26 19, 12:57 pm 
Hall Of Famer

33anda3rd wrote:
Ghost, I agree, I just have soundbite fatigue I guess. And I don't think, as Delaney notes in his tweet, that that ad is any indication that the UK is really good at messaging. They're in a Brexit crisis and on the doorstep of Boris Johnson being PM. That's largely due to a misinformed, ignorant electorate. If the UK's left was great at messaging they'd have killed Brexit pretty swiftly.

Sound bite fatigue is understandable, but no candidate is winning an election by reading off a dozen 400 page reports on school teacher incomes. As it is, Bernie Sanders is running for president, not senate czar or something, so his ability to shape policy is constrained to "tone" and "establishing priorities" and the like. That's accomplished through message discipline more than policy minutiae.

I liked the Labour ad, but I think the problem is that the people who drift to Nigel Farage or Donald Trump aren't doing so because they think Farage or Trump will actually help them. It should be pretty [expletive] obvious that Donald Trump won't help anybody, if he doesn't get anything from the deal. No, the support comes from people who want to poop on brown people and want to poop on urban technocrats making $200k per year doing technocratic stuff.

PostPosted: May 30 19, 6:57 am 
gone fission

Louisiana's Dem Governor, John Bel Edwards, supports their state's six week abortion ban that just passed through their House of Representatives.

PostPosted: June 13 19, 11:56 am 
Hall Of Famer

Primary challenger for one of the most conservative Democrats. Justice Democrats are backing her.

PostPosted: June 13 19, 1:32 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Our Revolution & our DSA chapter tried to confront Cheri Bustos, head of the DCCC, for blacklisting progressive primary candidates. She wasn't in her office, so it was more symbolic.

https://www.facebook.com/PoliticalRevol ... 979913990/

PostPosted: July 2 19, 7:38 am 
Hall Of Famer

The paralysis here is unbelievable

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next