GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently August 25 19, 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: December 30 18, 4:58 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Donnelly's been doing similar stuff to McCaskill, most notably complaining about how "Medicare for All" alienates Indiana voters. I assume McCaskill and Donnelly are both auditioning for the same lobbying work that made Evan Bayh a wealthy man. Or maybe Donnelly just wants to be a PR flack for Anthem or Lilly.

This triangulation strategy seems played out, unless you're running against Roy Moore. Donnelly and McCaskill probably lose to the rape twins Mourdock and Akin in 2018.

PostPosted: December 30 18, 7:27 pm 
Hall Of Famer

greenback44 wrote:
Donnelly's been doing similar stuff to McCaskill, most notably complaining about how "Medicare for All" alienates Indiana voters. I assume McCaskill and Donnelly are both auditioning for the same lobbying work that made Evan Bayh a wealthy man. Or maybe Donnelly just wants to be a PR flack for Anthem or Lilly.

This triangulation strategy seems played out, unless you're running against Roy Moore. Donnelly and McCaskill probably lose to the rape twins Mourdock and Akin in 2018.

Oh yes, I saw that.

PostPosted: January 15 19, 11:50 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

McCaskill is now going to be an analyst for NBC MSNBC. Not a fan. But I guess that is better than her being a democrat candidate that sides with Trump GOP

PostPosted: May 18 19, 8:59 am 
Hall Of Famer

This story, I think, is the foundation for a more cogent attack on Dems:

https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol ... story.html

Quote:
Disputes over SB 50 revealed deep divisions among Democrats who dominate the Legislature over solutions to California’s longstanding housing affordability problems.

Median home prices in the state have reached $548,000, nearly 2½ times the national average, according to real estate website Zillow. Nine and a half million renters — more than half of California’s tenant population — are burdened by high rents, spending at least 30% of their income on housing costs, according to a recent analysis by UC Berkeley’s Haas Institute for a Fair and Inclusive Society.

Lawmakers representing the state’s urban centers — predominantly from the Bay Area — were SB 50’s chief supporters, while legislators from suburban areas worked to narrow the bill and ultimately blocked it.

The huge chunk of income required to pay the rent is much more tangible to the electorate than Trump's latest tweet or whatever is (not) happening with the Mueller investigation. And this situation is a direct consequence of some [expletive] government policy in what is allegedly the bluest state in the union.

PostPosted: May 25 19, 1:54 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Labour in the UK does great PR, and I don’t know why the Democrats don’t have videos like this.

You could have 4-5 of these that represent different regions and demographics

PostPosted: May 25 19, 10:37 pm 
Hall Of Famer

ghostrunner wrote:
Labour in the UK does great PR, and I don’t know why the Democrats don’t have videos like this.

Go read the Bernie thread. Dude makes obvious simplifications to fit the sound bite limit and now his message can't be taken seriously.

PostPosted: May 26 19, 7:53 am 
Replies Authoritatively

If the left does a great job of message delivery in the UK then explain Brexit. Or that Blair and Brown are their only two PMs from Labour in the last 40 years.

PostPosted: May 26 19, 8:10 am 
Hall Of Famer

greenback44 wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:

Go read the Bernie thread. Dude makes obvious simplifications to fit the sound bite limit and now his message can't be taken seriously.

I’m confused about what Bernie has to do with this.

Are you saying the guy in the ad is doing the simplifying? I don’t see anything wrong with that for a two minute commercial. That’s how they work.

Last edited by ghostrunner on May 26 19, 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 26 19, 8:30 am 
Replies Authoritatively

ghostrunner wrote:
greenback44 wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:

I’m confused about what Bernie has to do with this.

Can't speak for greenback, can only speak for what I said in the Bernie thread that he's referring to. I'll speak to that.

This is a great little viral video. It's a guy complaining, giving us a series of highly relatable lines that come across as very off-the-cuff stream-of-consciousness even though they're almost certainly very carefully scripted to fit the tight, 2-minute run time that works for most peoples' attention spans. This is not a long, drawn-out policy piece with a lot of research and data points and fixes to problems (Yawn, right? Who wants to read a bunch of words, can't people be shorter and use less words?), rather it's a quick soundbite machine of complaint. I think Sanders is a soundbite machine of complaint too in a lot of ways. I think there's real conviction behind his soundbites. I think he's an impassioned guy who legitimately wants a better world, and I'm grateful that he inspired a generation (or three) to be more progressive and to stand up and demand this country be given back to all people. But I don't think he's the right person in the end to be POTUS because those soundbites are good for mobilizing people but he's not showed me enough real policy to make me think he has a plan beyond complaining. The guy in this video is also just kind of complaining.

At a certain point the soundbite machines of complaint have to give way to the Warrens of the world (and the AOC's who will inherit government from Warren's generation) who are not like "here's what's wrong!!!!" but are like "here's how I'm proposing we fix it."

PostPosted: May 26 19, 8:37 am 
Hall Of Famer

It’s a commercial. The point of it is to say the Conservatives and UKIP don’t have working people’s interests at heart, and it does a good job. Policies are good but you can and should also point out the flaws in the other party’s philosophy and messaging.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next