GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently January 21 19, 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: December 18 18, 9:06 am 
Offline
darjeeling sipping elite
User avatar

Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Posts: 35674
Location: Huis Clos
How did I not know about this? You guys let me down.

https://theintercept.com/2018/12/17/isr ... i-bds-law/

The bill’s language is so sweeping that some victims of Hurricane Harvey, which devastated Southwest Texas in late 2017, were told that they could only receive state disaster relief if they first signed a pledge never to boycott Israel. That demand was deeply confusing to those hurricane victims in desperate need of help but who could not understand what their views of Israel and Palestine had to do with their ability to receive assistance from their state government.

The evangelical author of the Israel bill, Republican Texas state Rep. Phil King, said at the time that its application to hurricane relief was a “misunderstanding,” but nonetheless emphasized that the bill’s purpose was indeed to ensure that no public funds ever go to anyone who supports a boycott of Israel.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: December 18 18, 9:31 am 
Offline
bronoun enthusiast
User avatar

Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Posts: 27912
Location: extremely online
It is, low-key, the most bizarre political initiative I've ever heard of. An oath of loyalty to a foreign power in the interest of ushering in the rapture of all christians as state policy. Wow.

I'm always fascinated at how efficient conservative think tanks are. They cook this stuff up and it is immediately rolled out nation-wide at the local and state levels and by the time it's already in place, I finally hear about it and my mind is blown.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: December 18 18, 9:42 am 
Offline
darjeeling sipping elite
User avatar

Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Posts: 35674
Location: Huis Clos
thrill wrote:
It is, low-key, the most bizarre political initiative I've ever heard of. An oath of loyalty to a foreign power in the interest of ushering in the rapture of all christians as state policy. Wow.

I'm always fascinated at how efficient conservative think tanks are. They cook this stuff up and it is immediately rolled out nation-wide at the local and state levels and by the time it's already in place, I finally hear about it and my mind is blown.



It ain’t just the Republicans signing off on this [expletive]. It failed in MO because of some progressive Democratic Senators but primarily because of Rob Schaaf, who I disagree with on most everything but has proven to have an ethos.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: December 18 18, 9:49 am 
Offline
Everday Unicorn
User avatar

Joined: April 21 06, 10:14 am
Posts: 33632
Location: Austin, TX
What in the actual [expletive] is correct. The law at issue in this article just took effect in Texas this year.

My firm represents local governmental entities (school districts, cities, counties, etc), so we have to sign this pledge/oath/whatever that our firm, collectively, does not boycott Israel every time we bid on representing a new client.

As we know from Mitt Romney/Citizens United, corporations are people too, my friend. Don't they have free speech rights? And in the case of like an accountant or solo lawyer or solo doctor, the person is the corporation. Boycotting is a form of speech, to be clear. The Texas law is unconstitutional. It'll get struck down, if SCOTUS has any decency or respect for its prior decisions.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: December 18 18, 9:58 am 
Offline
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Joined: April 17 06, 9:16 pm
Posts: 26765
Location: No. 16 on the Cards Top 15 Prospect List
thrill wrote:
It is, low-key, the most bizarre political initiative I've ever heard of. An oath of loyalty to a foreign power in the interest of ushering in the rapture of all christians as state policy. Wow.

I'm always fascinated at how efficient conservative think tanks are. They cook this stuff up and it is immediately rolled out nation-wide at the local and state levels and by the time it's already in place, I finally hear about it and my mind is blown.


What's worse: the legislation or the theology?

Because as horrendous as the legislation is, the theology is at least just as bad.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: December 18 18, 10:15 am 
Offline
Everday Unicorn
User avatar

Joined: April 21 06, 10:14 am
Posts: 33632
Location: Austin, TX
And I'll reiterate a point I've made before here: As a Jewish person, the alignment between fundamentalist rightwingers and Zionism is grotesque to me. Primarily because that support is tied in to a weird, apocalyptic, revelations prophesy wherein me and my family are banished to hell once all the Jews are forcibly relocated to Israel. But second, because criticism of Israel's policy and treatment of Palestinians is now prohibited by law, which as Fat said is awful policy, to say nothing of unconstitutional and un-American.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: December 18 18, 10:31 am 
Offline
bronoun enthusiast
User avatar

Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Posts: 27912
Location: extremely online
Fat Strat wrote:
What's worse: the legislation or the theology?

Because as horrendous as the legislation is, the theology is at least just as bad.

I don't know if I can pick. They're in a dead heat.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: December 18 18, 10:43 am 
Offline
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Posts: 22934
Location: St. Louis
lukethedrifter wrote:
How did I not know about this? You guys let me down.
.


I exceeded my annual outrage quota in the 1st quarter.

Istrael loyalty oaths? Imagine trying to bring that up in a conversation. People would be baffled/ think you were making it up.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: December 18 18, 10:44 am 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: July 15 08, 8:24 pm
Posts: 18551
Location: Low A Minors
This stuff really is chilling. I am becoming less and less confident these laws will be struck down by courts, since courts are being stuffed with partisans now, too.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: December 18 18, 11:17 am 
Offline
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Joined: April 17 06, 9:16 pm
Posts: 26765
Location: No. 16 on the Cards Top 15 Prospect List
heyzeus wrote:
And I'll reiterate a point I've made before here: As a Jewish person, the alignment between fundamentalist rightwingers and Zionism is grotesque to me. Primarily because that support is tied in to a weird, apocalyptic, revelations prophesy wherein me and my family are banished to hell once all the Jews are forcibly relocated to Israel.


I'm not expert on grotesque fundamental dispensationalism, but I think by their views 144,000 of you will be a'ight!

#getanumber

(Actually, it's got to be 143,999, because Jesus will have to skip 666 when he counts you.)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Secret Weapon and 24 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group