GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently January 21 19, 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: December 18 18, 9:06 am 
darjeeling sipping elite

How did I not know about this? You guys let me down.

https://theintercept.com/2018/12/17/isr ... i-bds-law/

The bill’s language is so sweeping that some victims of Hurricane Harvey, which devastated Southwest Texas in late 2017, were told that they could only receive state disaster relief if they first signed a pledge never to boycott Israel. That demand was deeply confusing to those hurricane victims in desperate need of help but who could not understand what their views of Israel and Palestine had to do with their ability to receive assistance from their state government.

The evangelical author of the Israel bill, Republican Texas state Rep. Phil King, said at the time that its application to hurricane relief was a “misunderstanding,” but nonetheless emphasized that the bill’s purpose was indeed to ensure that no public funds ever go to anyone who supports a boycott of Israel.

PostPosted: December 18 18, 9:31 am 
bronoun enthusiast

It is, low-key, the most bizarre political initiative I've ever heard of. An oath of loyalty to a foreign power in the interest of ushering in the rapture of all christians as state policy. Wow.

I'm always fascinated at how efficient conservative think tanks are. They cook this stuff up and it is immediately rolled out nation-wide at the local and state levels and by the time it's already in place, I finally hear about it and my mind is blown.

PostPosted: December 18 18, 9:42 am 
darjeeling sipping elite

thrill wrote:
It is, low-key, the most bizarre political initiative I've ever heard of. An oath of loyalty to a foreign power in the interest of ushering in the rapture of all christians as state policy. Wow.

I'm always fascinated at how efficient conservative think tanks are. They cook this stuff up and it is immediately rolled out nation-wide at the local and state levels and by the time it's already in place, I finally hear about it and my mind is blown.

It ain’t just the Republicans signing off on this [expletive]. It failed in MO because of some progressive Democratic Senators but primarily because of Rob Schaaf, who I disagree with on most everything but has proven to have an ethos.

PostPosted: December 18 18, 9:49 am 
Everday Unicorn

What in the actual [expletive] is correct. The law at issue in this article just took effect in Texas this year.

My firm represents local governmental entities (school districts, cities, counties, etc), so we have to sign this pledge/oath/whatever that our firm, collectively, does not boycott Israel every time we bid on representing a new client.

As we know from Mitt Romney/Citizens United, corporations are people too, my friend. Don't they have free speech rights? And in the case of like an accountant or solo lawyer or solo doctor, the person is the corporation. Boycotting is a form of speech, to be clear. The Texas law is unconstitutional. It'll get struck down, if SCOTUS has any decency or respect for its prior decisions.

PostPosted: December 18 18, 9:58 am 
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

thrill wrote:

What's worse: the legislation or the theology?

Because as horrendous as the legislation is, the theology is at least just as bad.

PostPosted: December 18 18, 10:15 am 
Everday Unicorn

And I'll reiterate a point I've made before here: As a Jewish person, the alignment between fundamentalist rightwingers and Zionism is grotesque to me. Primarily because that support is tied in to a weird, apocalyptic, revelations prophesy wherein me and my family are banished to hell once all the Jews are forcibly relocated to Israel. But second, because criticism of Israel's policy and treatment of Palestinians is now prohibited by law, which as Fat said is awful policy, to say nothing of unconstitutional and un-American.

PostPosted: December 18 18, 10:31 am 
bronoun enthusiast

Fat Strat wrote:
What's worse: the legislation or the theology?

Because as horrendous as the legislation is, the theology is at least just as bad.

I don't know if I can pick. They're in a dead heat.

PostPosted: December 18 18, 10:43 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

lukethedrifter wrote:
How did I not know about this? You guys let me down.

I exceeded my annual outrage quota in the 1st quarter.

Istrael loyalty oaths? Imagine trying to bring that up in a conversation. People would be baffled/ think you were making it up.

PostPosted: December 18 18, 10:44 am 
Hall Of Famer

This stuff really is chilling. I am becoming less and less confident these laws will be struck down by courts, since courts are being stuffed with partisans now, too.

PostPosted: December 18 18, 11:17 am 
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

heyzeus wrote:
And I'll reiterate a point I've made before here: As a Jewish person, the alignment between fundamentalist rightwingers and Zionism is grotesque to me. Primarily because that support is tied in to a weird, apocalyptic, revelations prophesy wherein me and my family are banished to hell once all the Jews are forcibly relocated to Israel.

I'm not expert on grotesque fundamental dispensationalism, but I think by their views 144,000 of you will be a'ight!

#getanumber

(Actually, it's got to be 143,999, because Jesus will have to skip 666 when he counts you.)