GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently June 18 19, 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Would you vote for a GOP primary challenger to Trump?
Yes 16%  16%  [ 3 ]
Yes, but only if it's a GOP candidate I support 37%  37%  [ 7 ]
No 47%  47%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 19
PostPosted: December 19 18, 9:12 am 
Everday Unicorn

Let's say a moderate GOP candidate gains momentum in the early 2020 primaries, explicitly targeting Trump and his policies. Assume you live in an open primary state, so you don't have to be registered to a party to vote in that party's primary - but you can only vote in one primary, either republican or democrat.

Would you vote in the Republican primary in an effort to get Trump off the ballot in 2020? Even if in so doing, you forego the chance to vote in what is likely to be a big and hotly contested Democratic field?

PostPosted: December 19 18, 9:40 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

I voted the middle option, but was consumed by notion of getting rid of Trump. would change it to no. GOP is the main problem. All or nothing in 2020.

Not having decent Dem candidates is a secondary problem as well. i.e. Hillary, McCaskill etc etc. MO primaries are straight ticket - and voting GOP primary would forego a say in the dem that opposes Trump Asswipe Sen Blunt.

These GOP [expletive] need to clean up their own mess.

PostPosted: December 19 18, 9:54 am 
Perennial All-Star

I voted for the middle one. I didn’t vote for him in the primaries and voted libertarian in the general last election. If it was a republican that I could get behind I’d vote for them, otherwise I’ll probably vote libertarian in the primary.

PostPosted: December 19 18, 10:03 am 
Replies Authoritatively

Can't really say because I'm not a Republican and wouldn't vote in their primary. Can only say what I'd do as a progressive Democrat, which is obviously vote anything but Trump.

PostPosted: December 19 18, 10:27 am 
Hall Of Famer

Strategically I think that's bad for Democrats. Politically I think Kasich still sucks.

I might vote Republican in the right local situation if the Democrat is sufficiently terrible (think Blagojevich). Federal level positions - never again.

PostPosted: December 19 18, 10:28 am 
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

If it is Kasich or similar, absolutely. If it is a cretin like Cruz, no thanks.

PostPosted: December 19 18, 10:31 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Regarding voting libertarian going forward. Under Trump GOP- major "strides" have been taken to do away with Government/and rule of law.

Name one federal government function (via cabinet positions etc) that hasn't been downgraded under GOP Trump.

If you are anti-govt -this is where we have been heading. Yeah, something far worse has been taking place of govt/rule of law, such as it is.

It is the proverbial be careful what you wish for libertarians. Time to grow up and quit riding your anti-govt-as -panacea-unicorns.

Merry Christmas.

PostPosted: December 19 18, 10:34 am 
bronoun enthusiast

Freed Roger wrote:
Regarding voting libertarian going forward. Under Trump GOP- major "strides" have been taken to do away with Government/and rule of law.

Name one federal government function (via cabinet positions etc) that hasn't been downgraded under GOP Trump.

If you are anti-govt -this is where we have been heading. Yeah, something far worse has been taking place of govt/rule of law, such as it is.

It is the proverbial be careful what you wish for libertarians. Time to grow up and quit riding your anti-govt-as -panacea-unicorns.

Merry Christmas.

PostPosted: December 19 18, 10:40 am 
Perennial All-Star

I voted no on principle because I dislike the notion of crossing party lines like that, even in a unique case like Trump. If I was more of an independent and there was a legit chance I could vote GOP in the presidential election, then I'd vote #1 or #2.

PostPosted: December 19 18, 10:46 am 
Perennial All-Star

Freed Roger wrote:

Merry Christmas.

We’re nothing near a libertarian utopia. Both parties are in favor of more and bigger government.