GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently March 21 19, 12:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 542 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 55  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2020 Election
PostPosted: March 15 19, 9:44 am 
has a link from 538 to share

I suspect millennials would "sellout" too, but no one is buying. Gen X has had more opportunities. That's the real difference.

PostPosted: March 15 19, 10:13 am 
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Yeah, boomers sold out. X’ers sold out. Y’ers are selling out. Millenials will sell out. Everyone eventually settles. It sucks, but that’s life.

Speaking as a Y who is selling out hard.

PostPosted: March 15 19, 8:22 pm 
Perennial All-Star

greenback44 wrote:
UK wrote:
I'm torn on Beto...

Positives:
Able to steal Texas from GOP

Beto just lost to an R who is about as likeable as diphtheria in an election where nationally the D's were as energized as any point in my lifetime (and I'm pretty old). Maybe he can swing Georgia or North Carolina, but there's not much hope in Texas.

It's a different animal though comparing 2 from Texas and one from out of state. Cruz beat Trump by 17 points, Trump is underwater in Texas as far as his approval rating. I think a Beto/Castro ticket would have the best chance of winning Texas and hope Beto's star power and appearance in the Rust Belt carries Hillary's errors.

Trust me, I'm not a Beto fan as I was impressed with his charisma and ability to make money but there's little substance with that substance being too moderate for my liking.

PostPosted: March 15 19, 9:54 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

let the cannabalizing begin!.....

...or continue

PostPosted: March 15 19, 10:31 pm 
Perennial All-Star

Freed Roger wrote:
let the cannabalizing begin!.....

...or continue

Agreed, if he's able to energize voters that might not have been interested had he not run, I see nothing wrong with him running.

If he wins the nomination, I will support him unconditionally.

He's not my favorite but I'm only one of 60+ million democratic voters.

PostPosted: March 15 19, 11:00 pm 
Don't tone police me bro!

Or, yknow, we could all collectively grow a spine and understand that primaries serve a function and its not all kumbayah :-s

PostPosted: March 15 19, 11:10 pm 
Perennial All-Star

Schlich wrote:
Or, yknow, we could all collectively grow a spine and understand that primaries serve a function and its not all kumbayah :-s

There's a fine line between competitors and opposition, Democrats can have competing view points yet need not to have opposing views points to remain productive.

Both 08' and '16 devolved into negativity beyond an acceptable scope within one's own party, IMO.

PostPosted: March 15 19, 11:21 pm 
Perennial All-Star

Plus, it frustrates me beyond words this immediate dismissal of a candidate who isn't their 1st choice.

It's obvious based on my avatar that I'm a Buttigieg supporter. When I talk to co-workers about Politics and I mention who I support, I hear idiotic crap that why would you support someone who isn't on the radar or people won't vote for him based on his last name....

He's the one that captivates me the most.

PostPosted: March 16 19, 8:32 am 
Replies Authoritatively

Schlich wrote:

How'd that Stein, erm, spine, work out for all the kids more idealistic than realistic in '16?

Here's where someone tells me that you can't say that 100% of Stein voters would have voted Hillary and that Stein voters didn't take victories from Clinton, and what about Libertarians that voted for that wacko, if you give Stein to HCR you gotta give Libs to Trump and so it really wasn't our fault we're blameless idealists and it's the older, wiser, more practical Democrats who just. don't. get it.

When in reality if all the people on the good side--the progressive side that's supposed to know better and be able to punt selfish pride for what's best--had not wasted their vote on Stein, Clinton would have won a few states and possibly the White House.

It's kumbayah on the GOP side. They vote for people they don't like--heaven forbid!--so they can get some of what they want rather than none. They don't get everything they want, no one ever does because government is not a autocracy here. Which the kids will figure out. Some call that "selling out." Really it's just growing up and realizing that things ain't binary.

PostPosted: March 16 19, 9:38 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Schlich wrote:

The function of primaries so far has been to maintain status quo with establishment dem candidates.

Getting my preferred dem non-kumbaya candidate doesn't mean squat as someone from Missou-rah. Militant progressivism won't help matters in OH PA WI NC etc.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 542 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 55  Next