GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently August 18 19, 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 112  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2020 Election
PostPosted: February 11 19, 11:51 am 
99% conan clips

Radbird wrote:
thrill wrote:
I really hope this will stop the absurd phenomenon I've been aware of my whole life of white people self-identifying as having native american heritage when they definitely do not (shout out to my lyin ass grandma).

Mine too. Something about grandmas.

yeah, mine too, fathers side.

PostPosted: February 11 19, 12:37 pm 
Hall Of Famer

According to this article, the previous high was 2 women candidates in the same race. So far 2020 has 6.

https://www.vox.com/2019/2/10/18219401/ ... -president
Quote:
But what’s even more remarkable is that the prospect of so many women candidates already on the campaign trail in 2019 feels so normal and expected that it hardly feels like a big deal.

Given the historic year we’ve had, we almost have to remind ourselves that Hillary Clinton was the first — and only — woman ever to become a major-party nominee for president. That just two and a half years ago, a woman won the popular vote but came up short.

PostPosted: February 11 19, 1:25 pm 
Perennial All-Star

I was wondering over the weekend - how soon will it be that one of the major parties have an all-female ticket? Full acknowledgement that a woman has not held either office, and only 1 pres, and 2 VP nominees in history. but the fact that it doesn't feel weird to have several reasonably strong female candidates in the Dem field makes it feel like it wouldn't be weird to have an all-female ticket.

PostPosted: February 12 19, 7:55 am 
Hall Of Famer

This is in 2020, so throwing it in here. Mark Kelly is running for Senate in Arizona, I assume as a Democrat against Martha McSally. Not sure what his policies are, but I have a soft spot for astronauts. He's also Gabrielle Giffords' husband.

PostPosted: February 12 19, 7:56 am 
99% conan clips

plus all those space puns!

edit: and dang i was confusing him with his twin brother who i think may have more notoriety as an astronaut...well, he did like a year in space i guess. anyways, i forgot there was this twin set of astronauts. weird man, weird.

PostPosted: February 12 19, 8:15 am 
Replies Authoritatively

Gashouse wrote:
I was wondering over the weekend - how soon will it be that one of the major parties have an all-female ticket? Full acknowledgement that a woman has not held either office, and only 1 pres, and 2 VP nominees in history. but the fact that it doesn't feel weird to have several reasonably strong female candidates in the Dem field makes it feel like it wouldn't be weird to have an all-female ticket.

Hopefully soon and hopefully our female overlords are kind to us.

PostPosted: February 12 19, 2:42 pm 
Hall Of Famer

greenback44 wrote:
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/mollyhensleyclancy/amy-klobuchar-staff-2020-election
This bothers me a lot more than DNA tests or Bernie scheduling a speech at the same time as someone else.

More on this:

Also from the story:

And while it is not uncommon for members of Congress to ask staffers to perform personal tasks outside their professional duties, veterans of Capitol Hill say that in this regard, too, Klobuchar went beyond many of her peers. One former staffer says that she asked staff to clean her house and wash dishes, as well as to help her pack for travel and make travel arrangements for her husband.

PostPosted: February 12 19, 5:18 pm 
Hall Of Famer

That's [expletive] awful. Either somebody has a weird vendetta or Klobuchar is the D answer to Trump.

PostPosted: February 13 19, 3:01 pm 
All-Star

Not sure if this guy has been discussed but this sort of thing creeps me out. I heard his podcast with Joe Rogan today.

Quote:
Andrew Yang (born January 13, 1975)[1] is an American entrepreneur, the founder of Venture for America, and a 2020 Democratic presidential candidate. He has worked in startups and early stage growth companies as a founder or executive for nearly two decades and was appointed to public office in 2015 by the Obama administration as an Ambassador of Global Entrepreneurship.[2]

Yang is the author of Smart People Should Build Things and The War on Normal People, about automation of labor. In Yang's current bid for the 2020 presidential nomination, one of his main campaign goals is to implement a universal basic income (UBI) for every American adult over the age of 18.

Normal people huh
Quote:
His father graduated with a Ph.D. in physics and worked in the research labs of IBM and General Electric, generating over 69 patents in his career. His mother graduated with a Master's Degree in Statistics and later became an artist.

Yang attended Phillips Exeter Academy, a boarding school in New Hampshire. He graduated Exeter in 1992 and went on to attend Brown University[5] earning a Bachelor's of Arts (BA) in Economics. After Brown University, Yang attended Columbia Law School in New York City where he earned a Juris Doctor (JD).[6]

Not that being hyper educated and affluent disqualifies opinions, but what does he know about normal people that didn't come from Charles Dickens novels and sociology classes?

PostPosted: February 13 19, 3:05 pm 
Master of Hyperbole

Bernie is the only one who can win. Until the Democrats figure that out, Trump will eat any of these weak candidates alive.

Stop running corporate shills and ex-cops out there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 112  Next