GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently October 18 19, 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101 ... 128  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2020 Election
PostPosted: June 20 19, 2:32 pm 
Replies Authoritatively

Mary1966 wrote:
I’m waiting for my Amy Klobuchar bumper sticker to come in the mail, but since I don’t have a car, I’m going to have to find another place to put it. Our apartment complex doesn’t allow you to put anything on your door, and I live at the end of the hall anyway so no one would see it except my neighbor directly across from me. Any suggestions?

A lamp pole outside a popular coffee shop? A bike rack that gets a lot of use?

PostPosted: June 24 19, 6:49 am 
Hall Of Famer

Can we finally stick a fork in Mayor Pete?

Black residents of South Bend unload on Mayor Pete Buttigieg
Quote:
A town hall featuring Mayor Pete Buttigieg broke into near chaos Sunday afternoon as the Democratic presidential candidate tried to respond to community anger over a white police officer’s killing of a black man.

Buttigieg was solemn, somber and circumspect as he tried to explain how officials will investigate the shooting. He said he would ask the Justice Department to review the case and for an independent prosecutor to decide whether to prosecute.

“We’ve taken a lot of steps, but they clearly haven’t been enough,” said Buttigieg, who is in his second term as mayor of South Bend, Ind.

The largely black audience of hundreds was having little of it, frequently interrupting and shouting over the mayor. “We don’t trust you!” a woman hollered at Buttigieg.
Quote:
John Winston Jr., a community activist, walked up to the front of the stage to confront the pastor as Buttigieg watched, taking the microphone to air his own grievances about the city’s relationship with its black residents.

“They keep begging us to reach out and bridge this gap and whatever else,” Winston, who is biracial, told the audience, recounting the time he tried to host a cookout for police officers a few years ago. “And we reached out, and they said no.”

Then, with a defiant flourish, Winston dropped the mic onto the floor.
Quote:
“You might as well just withdraw your name from the presidential race,” said a woman in the raucous crowd. “His presidential campaign is over... I believe that today ended his campaign.”

South Bend police said that Sgt. Ryan O’Neill shot Eric Jack Logan, 53, in the parking lot of an apartment complex. O’Neill was responding to reports of cars being burglarized. When he approached Logan, he said, the man threatened him with a knife.

The sergeant didn’t turn on his body camera as required, leaving black residents, already skeptical of their police department after past controversies, in doubt of the sergeant’s side of the story.
Quote:
For some black residents, Buttigieg had already failed the biggest chance he had to build trust with the community, back when he was first elected mayor in 2011 as a 29-year-old.

Not long after in 2012, he pushed out the city’s black police chief, Darryl Boykins, over allegations that Boykins improperly recorded white police officials making racist remarks. The crisis unleashed a flurry of litigation that resulted in financial settlements for the officers and for the former chief.

Boykins’ removal, along with the fact that the recordings were never released, have been seen as a kind of original sin for Buttigieg’s mayoralty among some black residents.

Buttigieg “had a chance to make a stand and didn’t do it. He never stepped up and became the leader,” Blu Casey, 23, an activist and recording artist, said in an interview Saturday.

O’Neill, the sergeant, had also previously faced an internal inquiry in 2008 for racist remarks, including the time he referred to an African American woman as “black meat,” according to a fellow patrolman’s account, leading some South Bend residents to question why O’Neill was still working for the department in a city that is 26% black.

PostPosted: June 24 19, 9:16 am 
Perennial All-Star

He's got a gigantic hill to climb with black voters. The debates will probably help him, but this narrative definitely isn't going away.

PostPosted: June 24 19, 9:41 am 
Perennial All-Star

Buttigieg did not cover himself in glory at that town hall. And I knew he had replaced the police chief but I didn’t know the circumstances. I see him having a difficult time attracting African-American voters and that is the kiss of death for any Democrat.

PostPosted: June 24 19, 10:47 am 
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

He's toast. In order to win the rust belt states in the general election, the Democratic candidate can't just be someone that minorities will choose once they are in the voting booth. They have to be excited enough about them to head out to the voting booth. I have a tough time envisioning Mayor Pete recovering to the point where that is the case.

PostPosted: June 24 19, 11:05 am 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Mayor Pete was never a legit candidate to begin with. He's popular among 538 Twitter followers and pretty much no one else. Frankly, I don't want a 37 year old person who has been a small town mayor for a term and a half to be President. Not qualified. Other than being good at social media I don't know what qualifies him for office.

PostPosted: June 24 19, 12:04 pm 
has a link from 538 to share

G. Keenan wrote:
Mayor Pete was never a legit candidate to begin with. He's popular among 538 Twitter followers and pretty much no one else. Frankly, I don't want a 37 year old person who has been a small town mayor for a term and a half to be President. Not qualified. Other than being good at social media I don't know what qualifies him for office.

I agree with your overall point here. That said, I've come to the conclusion that in order to win it's optimal for a candidate to have thin track record so voters can project whatever they want onto him/her.

Regardless, I basically have no say in who the Dem candidate will be so I'll vote for whoever is there.

PostPosted: June 24 19, 1:44 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

Popeye_Card wrote:
He's toast. In order to win the rust belt states in the general election, the Democratic candidate can't just be someone that minorities will choose once they are in the voting booth. They have to be excited enough about them to head out to the voting booth. I have a tough time envisioning Mayor Pete recovering to the point where that is the case.

Unless he somehow becomes the first Mayor (first white mayor?) to handle a post Michael Brown Police Dept crisis in a way that makes the AA community feel served. Seems extremely unlikely.

PostPosted: June 25 19, 1:53 am 
Hall Of Famer

Michael wrote:
That said, I've come to the conclusion that in order to win it's optimal for a candidate to have thin track record so voters can project whatever they want onto him/her.

I understand the reasoning behind this comment, but this sounds like another symptom of an unhealthy democracy.

Mayor Pete seems like the "sober sound bite" candidate. The fact that that makes (made?) him such an attractive candidate is yet another symptom.

PostPosted: June 26 19, 9:38 am 
Replies Authoritatively

G. Keenan wrote:

We have to ask, though: who are the folks polling for him. He's sitting, nationally, in the 4-6% range. FL he's a little higher, MS he's a lot lower, SC, NH, IA he's running more than double his national average. Who are they, the folks telling pollsters they like Pete? Gay Americans voting identity politics? Young people voting on identity politics? Independents who hate Trump and have now identified as Democrats who like that Pete is a plain-spoken, fairly vanilla personality who's entire campaign is being critical of the way things are under Trump? Veterans voting on identity politics?

The autopsies of Clinton 2016, professional and armchair alike, all include acknowledgement that Clinton did not do enough for displaced rust belt workers. Displaced blue collar Americans is a smaller amount of voters than milennials, LGBTQ Americans, and independents who went Trump in 2016 who are not displaced blue collar Americans. I'm not saying displaced workers are irrelevant, I'm saying we acknowledge, correctly IMO, that Clinton lost the election in part on that one small sliver of America, and there's a small sliver out there that likes what Pete has to say. Yes, he's toast. He won't win a single state, not even Indiana if he makes it that long. But he has a floor of support and I'm curious what that base is and how another candidate will speak to it to make sure they come out to vote. I don't think it's illogical, esp based on 2016, to think that if Pete's support is Millennial-fueled, that we are talking about a demographic that has shown they can stay home or throw their vote away (people over 49, only 2% voted Stein, while 9% 29 and under voted for her) and who will need to be engaged.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101 ... 128  Next