GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently March 24 19, 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: January 9 19, 7:50 am 
99% conan clips

PostPosted: January 9 19, 7:57 am 
99% conan clips

though a lot of twitter chatter that

his length of tenure at position would be normal
he knows that mueller probe has what it needs/almost done/big [expletive] gonna happen

so who knows. he's felt like an important shield for awhile now.

PostPosted: January 9 19, 8:58 am 
Everday Unicorn

Trump [expletive] up bigtime when he didn't just fire Rosenstein and pull the plug on the special counsel on day one. Sure, it would have triggered a constitutional crisis and been an impeachable if not criminal offense, but it's clear in hindsight that the Republican party would have done anything to protect him, no matter what crime he commits.

Now Mueller has everything he needs, and it's just a matter of timing the dominoes to fall in the right order - which he has done masterfully and will continue to do.

The only remaining question for our democracy is when the crimes are laid bare with indisputable evidence and testimony, will our government remove a truly corrupt president from the office. I don't know the answer to that. I wish I was more optimistic.

PostPosted: January 9 19, 2:59 pm 
99% conan clips

PostPosted: January 10 19, 8:08 am 
"I could totally eat a person if it were a life/death situation"

heyzeus wrote:
Trump [expletive] up bigtime when he didn't just fire Rosenstein and pull the plug on the special counsel on day one. Sure, it would have triggered a constitutional crisis and been an impeachable if not criminal offense, but it's clear in hindsight that the Republican party would have done anything to protect him, no matter what crime he commits.

Now Mueller has everything he needs, and it's just a matter of timing the dominoes to fall in the right order - which he has done masterfully and will continue to do.

The only remaining question for our democracy is when the crimes are laid bare with indisputable evidence and testimony, will our government remove a truly corrupt president from the office. I don't know the answer to that. I wish I was more optimistic.

I haven't really kept up with the Mueller investigation other than reading headlines every now and then about Trump's lawyer and possibly Manafort going to the clink. (Was that even part of Mueller's investigation?) Regardless, is there an article that kind of has a recap of what the report could possibly say and what the outcomes would be from a legal perspective?

PostPosted: January 10 19, 8:49 am 
Hall Of Famer

heyzeus wrote:

Trump will just say "fake news" and "WITCH HUNT!" no matter what comes out. A big chunk of Republicans will side with him and not do anything. I think it will come down to how angry the public gets about it. If the public raises hell, then maybe some Republicans will split. People like Joni Ernst...maybe. Right now when asked about Trump's latest outrage, she has literally asked reporters "Can we talk about something else?" She does not really want to side with Trump, but also does not want to side against him. The public has to force politicians like Joni to pick a side. No more waffling. But the public does not seem real interested in that. The public has outrage fatigue. So I'm also not optimistic anything will happen.

PostPosted: January 10 19, 8:58 am 
Replies Authoritatively

pioneer98 wrote:
heyzeus wrote:

Trump will just say "fake news" and "WITCH HUNT!" no matter what comes out. A big chunk of Republicans will side with him and not do anything. I think it will come down to how angry the public gets about it. If the public raises hell, then maybe some Republicans will split. People like Joni Ernst...maybe. Right now when asked about Trump's latest outrage, she has literally asked reporters "Can we talk about something else?" She does not really want to side with Trump, but also does not want to side against him. The public has to force politicians like Joni to pick a side. No more waffling. But the public does not seem real interested in that. The public has outrage fatigue. So I'm also not optimistic anything will happen.

Part of this is that the approval ratings for Trump have a floor. There's the 35-38% of the US where, y'know, they saw the Access Hollywood thing, they've seen him on The View saying he'd like to date his daughter, they've seen him mock a disabled person, they've seen his personal lawyer and his campaign chairman go to jail, and when the call comes they're like "Trump? Yeah, Love him. Great job. Approve." There's probably an inflection point in there that someone has figured out where it's like "At this % of presidential approval it is more politically prudent for other elected officials in the party to rebuke the POTUS" but I don't think we are there*. His approval rating per 538 is a couple points higher now than it was a year ago today.

*And even if this % did exist based on historical data, I don't think it would matter. Those historical points would not include our current gerrymandered voting districts built to exploits the shortcomings of the Electoral College. Thy would not include our current apoplectic tribalism. A lot of factors would be missing. So even if you're McConnell or Ernst or any of them and you're like "Hey data nerd go get me data on when I should turn on Trump" you'd probably end up with bad numbers. Meaning the GOP's non-Trump elected officials would have to have to turn on him based on ideals, morality, ethics, ideas, pride, patriotism and a bunch of other stuff they have shown they lack.

PostPosted: January 10 19, 9:05 am 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

pioneer98 wrote:
heyzeus wrote:

If when the report comes out the people aren't out in the streets bringing this country to a stand still nothing will happen and Trump will get away with everything.

So nothing will happen because the people of this won't put any effort into it. Then that sends a message to Russia and the Republican party that they just have to cheat harder next time.

PostPosted: January 10 19, 9:08 am 
gone fission

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
heyzeus wrote:

I haven't really kept up with the Mueller investigation other than reading headlines every now and then about Trump's lawyer and possibly Manafort going to the clink. (Was that even part of Mueller's investigation?) Regardless, is there an article that kind of has a recap of what the report could possibly say and what the outcomes would be from a legal perspective?

I've only been following it from my daily email from TheSkimm.

PostPosted: January 10 19, 9:09 am 
99% conan clips