GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently August 18 19, 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
PostPosted: January 23 19, 12:26 pm 
Consider him admonished

Disclaimer: I’m 36 and don’t have children

I’ve read over the past few pages about civic minded and politically motivated teenagers. I’ve got no doubt that they’re intelligent and well meaning, but to be this politically active at such a young age, I wonder if it is healthy. Obviously each case should be viewed on their own merits, but it seems like teens should be concerned about prom, homework, making band and jv football. Are they growing up too quickly?

I clearly have my own bias/lens. Grew up in a small town in the south. Nobody particularly political. Father did run and win a seat on the city council. I’ve mentioned before he went to the 1992 inauguration.

I just have a hard time fathoming wearing a MAGA hat or any political hat at 15 years old. Seems like when we throw kids in a political fray it isn’t fair to them.

Someone with teens tell me I’m wrong.

PostPosted: January 23 19, 12:35 pm 
'Burb Boy

Jocephus wrote:

And add to this that we're told that he shouldn't face consequences because he's young and we shouldn't ruin his life... which then leads to never facing consequences and old men doing terrible things, where we're then told that they shouldn't face consequences because it's better just to let their ideas die with them (they don't.)

PostPosted: January 23 19, 12:57 pm 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Tim wrote:
Disclaimer: I’m 36 and don’t have children

I’ve read over the past few pages about civic minded and politically motivated teenagers. I’ve got no doubt that they’re intelligent and well meaning, but to be this politically active at such a young age, I wonder if it is healthy. Obviously each case should be viewed on their own merits, but it seems like teens should be concerned about prom, homework, making band and jv football. Are they growing up too quickly?

I clearly have my own bias/lens. Grew up in a small town in the south. Nobody particularly political. Father did run and win a seat on the city council. I’ve mentioned before he went to the 1992 inauguration.

I just have a hard time fathoming wearing a MAGA hat or any political hat at 15 years old. Seems like when we throw kids in a political fray it isn’t fair to them.

Someone with teens tell me I’m wrong.

Sadly, I think teens these days probably feel like they don't have a choice. The adults aren't doing anything to make their futures brighter. I remember being in high school when the Columbine shooting happened. It was frightening, one of the first times I can remember feeling totally unsafe anywhere, let alone in school. It was unimaginable before that that something so heinous could happen. Now they are a regular thing. Kindergartners are practicing active shooter drills. Imagine that? It is vile and the elected adults who should be protecting kids do absolutely nothing to stop it. Nothing. Instead they want to make the problem worse by adding more guns. It is insanity.

Likewise for climate change. Likewise for job security. Likewise for the cost of higher education and the debt you have to take on to go to college. The baby boomers are not going to fix the mess they made so it might as well be the young people.

PostPosted: January 23 19, 12:57 pm 
Perennial All-Star

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Jocephus wrote:

And add to this that we're told that he shouldn't face consequences because he's young and we shouldn't ruin his life... which then leads to never facing consequences and old men doing terrible things, where we're then told that they shouldn't face consequences because it's better just to let their ideas die with them (they don't.)

There is a lot of middle ground between defending the behavior and “doxing” a teenager and setting out to ruin their life because of it. Both are pretty prevalent on social media.

PostPosted: January 23 19, 1:03 pm 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Diddy wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Jocephus wrote:

There is a lot of middle ground between defending the behavior and “doxing” a teenager and setting out to ruin their life because of it. Both are pretty prevalent on social media.

The whole thing is just all around stupid, frankly. I haven't even seen the original video. I don't care. I get it. These teens are probably total douchebags. Douchebags gonna douche. That's what they do. Next week we'll be back to being outraged by some other total waste of time.

The media is just pretty all around terrible. It's a shame that our best defense against autocracy and fascism is the media because the media for the most part sucks.

PostPosted: January 23 19, 1:04 pm 
'Burb Boy

Diddy wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Jocephus wrote:

What's your middle ground? Because I'm betting it's been tried and hasn't worked.

PostPosted: January 23 19, 1:10 pm 
Everday Unicorn

G. Keenan wrote:
Kindergartners are practicing active shooter drills. Imagine that? It is vile and the elected adults who should be protecting kids do absolutely nothing to stop it. Nothing. Instead they want to make the problem worse by adding more guns. It is insanity.

My three year old daughter described her preschool's active shooter drill. She said they have to hide in the corner that can't be seen from the door and be extra extra quiet so that they can be safe, then they get to play again. She doesn't know why being quiet is important (they didn't explain that to them). When she told me this, I cried, and thinking about it makes me want to cry again.

PostPosted: January 23 19, 1:12 pm 
Perennial All-Star

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Diddy wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Jocephus wrote:

What's your middle ground? Because I'm betting it's been tried and hasn't worked.

This is working? Are you defending adults that want to ruin a kids life because of one incident?

PostPosted: January 23 19, 1:15 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

My 18 yo teen is one of those who is not a smart/savvy as she thinks but only because she hasn’t put the work in and tends toward already knowing everything.
But i know an awful lot of adults who put less effort into understanding issues and human nature.

PostPosted: January 23 19, 1:17 pm 
Hall Of Famer

We are now into the phase of the discourse where white guys are explaining how "it's not technically blackface" in those old pictures and videos of the kids at the basketball games because their lips weren't the right color or whatever. Give me a [expletive] break. Folks, it's quite simple: DO NOT PAINT YOURSELF BLACK EVER, FOR ANY REASON

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next