GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 17 19, 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: January 23 19, 1:24 pm 
Offline
darjeeling sipping elite
User avatar

Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Posts: 36880
Location: Huis Clos
ghostrunner wrote:
Chris Long is a good egg



He’s a seriously wise dude.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 23 19, 1:27 pm 
Offline
'Burb Boy
User avatar

Joined: July 9 06, 11:33 am
Posts: 19674
Location: Out of the Loop
Diddy wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Diddy wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Jocephus wrote:



And add to this that we're told that he shouldn't face consequences because he's young and we shouldn't ruin his life... which then leads to never facing consequences and old men doing terrible things, where we're then told that they shouldn't face consequences because it's better just to let their ideas die with them (they don't.)


There is a lot of middle ground between defending the behavior and “doxing” a teenager and setting out to ruin their life because of it. Both are pretty prevalent on social media.


What's your middle ground? Because I'm betting it's been tried and hasn't worked.


This is working? Are you defending adults that want to ruin a kids life because of one incident?



I'm asking what your middle ground is.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 23 19, 1:32 pm 
Offline
darjeeling sipping elite
User avatar

Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Posts: 36880
Location: Huis Clos
Related: in this weird era where everything and every misstep is on video, is anyone’s life ever ruined or do they just become some group’s hero?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 23 19, 1:37 pm 
Offline
Perennial All-Star

Joined: April 18 06, 7:45 pm
Posts: 3636
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Diddy wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Diddy wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Jocephus wrote:



And add to this that we're told that he shouldn't face consequences because he's young and we shouldn't ruin his life... which then leads to never facing consequences and old men doing terrible things, where we're then told that they shouldn't face consequences because it's better just to let their ideas die with them (they don't.)


There is a lot of middle ground between defending the behavior and “doxing” a teenager and setting out to ruin their life because of it. Both are pretty prevalent on social media.


What's your middle ground? Because I'm betting it's been tried and hasn't worked.


This is working? Are you defending adults that want to ruin a kids life because of one incident?



I'm asking what your middle ground is.


I don’t have a program just saying neither extreme is right


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 23 19, 1:42 pm 
Offline
Perennial All-Star

Joined: April 18 06, 7:45 pm
Posts: 3636
lukethedrifter wrote:
Related: in this weird era where everything and every misstep is on video, is anyone’s life ever ruined or do they just become some group’s hero?


I’m sure some are, Both actions seem a lot like bullying to me and that’s led to plenty of suicides. Responding to any action with doxing or trying to ruin someone life seems pretty childish to me. People will go along way to try to justify their actions.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 23 19, 1:53 pm 
Offline
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Posts: 24267
Location: St. Louis
Tim wrote:
I’ve read over the past few pages about civic minded and politically motivated teenagers. I’ve got no doubt that they’re intelligent and well meaning, but to be this politically active at such a young age, I wonder if it is healthy. Obviously each case should be viewed on their own merits, but it seems like teens should be concerned about prom, homework, making band and jv football. Are they growing up too quickly?

I just have a hard time fathoming wearing a MAGA hat or any political hat at 15 years old. Seems like when we throw kids in a political fray it isn’t fair to them.

Someone with teens tell me I’m wrong.

I generally agree. Try to let them grow up. Attempts at indoctrination by a parent, school, church have a decent chance of backfiring (at least in the teen years).

Have to know your kid, whether you are pushing opinions on them vs letting them figure it out themselves, even though they hear a lot of noise.

Mine went to a women's March with my wife, pretty much on her own volition. she did the walkout at school for the gun violence.

Other than that, she doesn't want to spend these days consumed by it. But definitely, she has opinions evolving. And frankly, Trump GOP has taken nuance out of politics -a child can see the asswipery.

I tread lightly with it. Don't want to use the kid as a prop. An exception may be something like environment/climate change seem like no-brainer, take your baby to the rally or what not -this issue will affect them more than me.
Here, I don't go all Greenpeace, but we talk about it, try to not waste, to recycle. We camp on Earth Day generally -And throw our trash in the woods....oh wait.

But private schools hauling their classes and kids to political rallies? That is like a madrassa.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 23 19, 2:43 pm 
Offline
99% conan clips
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm
Posts: 55244


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 23 19, 2:51 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: July 15 08, 8:24 pm
Posts: 19722
Location: Low A Minors
G. Keenan wrote:
Tim wrote:
Disclaimer: I’m 36 and don’t have children

I’ve read over the past few pages about civic minded and politically motivated teenagers. I’ve got no doubt that they’re intelligent and well meaning, but to be this politically active at such a young age, I wonder if it is healthy. Obviously each case should be viewed on their own merits, but it seems like teens should be concerned about prom, homework, making band and jv football. Are they growing up too quickly?

I clearly have my own bias/lens. Grew up in a small town in the south. Nobody particularly political. Father did run and win a seat on the city council. I’ve mentioned before he went to the 1992 inauguration.

I just have a hard time fathoming wearing a MAGA hat or any political hat at 15 years old. Seems like when we throw kids in a political fray it isn’t fair to them.

Someone with teens tell me I’m wrong.


Sadly, I think teens these days probably feel like they don't have a choice. The adults aren't doing anything to make their futures brighter. I remember being in high school when the Columbine shooting happened. It was frightening, one of the first times I can remember feeling totally unsafe anywhere, let alone in school. It was unimaginable before that that something so heinous could happen. Now they are a regular thing. Kindergartners are practicing active shooter drills. Imagine that? It is vile and the elected adults who should be protecting kids do absolutely nothing to stop it. Nothing. Instead they want to make the problem worse by adding more guns. It is insanity.

Likewise for climate change. Likewise for job security. Likewise for the cost of higher education and the debt you have to take on to go to college. The baby boomers are not going to fix the mess they made so it might as well be the young people.



Kind of getting off topic here but I wanted to add to this. Politics are invading our students lives, right now. It's not just about their long-term prospects being diminished due to college costs, poor job prospects, the environment, etc. School shootings are one example that Keenan pointed out where politics are impacting all kids directly right now. My kid's middle school (roughly age 12 to 14) had a very disorganized walk-out back when those protests were going on across the country.

But politics are invading in other ways, too. Kids are getting treated like commodities. The only thing that matters is test scores, they have metal detectors and cops, schools are being closed and replaced with charter schools, class sizes are getting bigger, funding is declining. Both the amount of time kids spend at school and time on homework is increasing. Extra-curriculars are increasing. We have accelerated programs now where kids can get a 2 year associates degree done by the time they graduate high school. On the one hand, it's great. On the other hand (and to your point, Tim), when do they get to be kids? What is the endgame? Does everything just keep accelerating? Will junior high kids be getting a 2 year degree soon, so high schoolers can get a 4 year degree? Then what? Grade schoolers taking college classes? If you read about a lot of the teacher's strikes that have happened in recent years (and the ones happening in LA right now), a lot of their demands revolve around these kind of issues. Maybe their primary demand is higher pay or better health care, but they are also pushing back on these other things in many cases, with the support of parents and the community. I think we will see more and more of that.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 23 19, 2:56 pm 
Offline
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: November 10 16, 10:22 am
Posts: 1323
pioneer98 wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:
Tim wrote:
Disclaimer: I’m 36 and don’t have children

I’ve read over the past few pages about civic minded and politically motivated teenagers. I’ve got no doubt that they’re intelligent and well meaning, but to be this politically active at such a young age, I wonder if it is healthy. Obviously each case should be viewed on their own merits, but it seems like teens should be concerned about prom, homework, making band and jv football. Are they growing up too quickly?

I clearly have my own bias/lens. Grew up in a small town in the south. Nobody particularly political. Father did run and win a seat on the city council. I’ve mentioned before he went to the 1992 inauguration.

I just have a hard time fathoming wearing a MAGA hat or any political hat at 15 years old. Seems like when we throw kids in a political fray it isn’t fair to them.

Someone with teens tell me I’m wrong.


Sadly, I think teens these days probably feel like they don't have a choice. The adults aren't doing anything to make their futures brighter. I remember being in high school when the Columbine shooting happened. It was frightening, one of the first times I can remember feeling totally unsafe anywhere, let alone in school. It was unimaginable before that that something so heinous could happen. Now they are a regular thing. Kindergartners are practicing active shooter drills. Imagine that? It is vile and the elected adults who should be protecting kids do absolutely nothing to stop it. Nothing. Instead they want to make the problem worse by adding more guns. It is insanity.

Likewise for climate change. Likewise for job security. Likewise for the cost of higher education and the debt you have to take on to go to college. The baby boomers are not going to fix the mess they made so it might as well be the young people.


What is the endgame? Does everything just keep accelerating? Will junior high kids be getting a 2 year degree soon, so high schoolers can get a 4 year degree? Then what? Grade schoolers taking college classes?

I work with public school administrators on a weekly basis. And from everything I've heard, that's exactly where it's going. It's really like an arms race on who can provide college-like education to the youngest kids possible. And this is mostly being pushed by well-meaning parents in the community who are worried their kids will be screwed without it.

Kids at many public schools are being asked to "choose their path" after their freshman (age 14) year. You choose a specialty and get funneled into that particular "academy" at the high school. Usually STEM, Humanities, and two others. And to make it worse, many colleges colleges don't know how to look at transcripts from these sort of schools so they assume they're basically "career center" (see: lower prestige) kids and get ignored when applying for colleges. And to make it even worse, the certificates that many of these schools give out aren't worth a damn and don't ensure you a job.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 23 19, 3:17 pm 
Offline
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Posts: 24267
Location: St. Louis
Right wing is losing with younger people (youse millenials on down). Catholic church is losing. The people are largely either leaving, or ignore/disagree the church hierarchy stances.

The moral issues aren't selling anymore. This causes the institutional side to either reform, or go more fundamentalist/hard right. The latter is what they are doing.

These bus trips to DC to make kids engage politically on the right wing behalf didn't occur when church wasn't losing.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group