GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently June 16 19, 11:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
PostPosted: January 23 19, 3:52 pm 
Hall Of Famer

MAGA wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:
Tim wrote:
Disclaimer: I’m 36 and don’t have children

I’ve read over the past few pages about civic minded and politically motivated teenagers. I’ve got no doubt that they’re intelligent and well meaning, but to be this politically active at such a young age, I wonder if it is healthy. Obviously each case should be viewed on their own merits, but it seems like teens should be concerned about prom, homework, making band and jv football. Are they growing up too quickly?

I clearly have my own bias/lens. Grew up in a small town in the south. Nobody particularly political. Father did run and win a seat on the city council. I’ve mentioned before he went to the 1992 inauguration.

I just have a hard time fathoming wearing a MAGA hat or any political hat at 15 years old. Seems like when we throw kids in a political fray it isn’t fair to them.

Someone with teens tell me I’m wrong.

Sadly, I think teens these days probably feel like they don't have a choice. The adults aren't doing anything to make their futures brighter. I remember being in high school when the Columbine shooting happened. It was frightening, one of the first times I can remember feeling totally unsafe anywhere, let alone in school. It was unimaginable before that that something so heinous could happen. Now they are a regular thing. Kindergartners are practicing active shooter drills. Imagine that? It is vile and the elected adults who should be protecting kids do absolutely nothing to stop it. Nothing. Instead they want to make the problem worse by adding more guns. It is insanity.

Likewise for climate change. Likewise for job security. Likewise for the cost of higher education and the debt you have to take on to go to college. The baby boomers are not going to fix the mess they made so it might as well be the young people.

What is the endgame? Does everything just keep accelerating? Will junior high kids be getting a 2 year degree soon, so high schoolers can get a 4 year degree? Then what? Grade schoolers taking college classes?

I work with public school administrators on a weekly basis. And from everything I've heard, that's exactly where it's going. It's really like an arms race on who can provide college-like education to the youngest kids possible. And this is mostly being pushed by well-meaning parents in the community who are worried their kids will be screwed without it.

Kids at many public schools are being asked to "choose their path" after their freshman (age 14) year. You choose a specialty and get funneled into that particular "academy" at the high school. Usually STEM, Humanities, and two others. And to make it worse, many colleges colleges don't know how to look at transcripts from these sort of schools so they assume they're basically "career center" (see: lower prestige) kids and get ignored when applying for colleges. And to make it even worse, the certificates that many of these schools give out aren't worth a damn and don't ensure you a job.

That is definitely a concern. Here, they say state schools will recognize the degree, but many out of state ones won't.

The other thing it does is it starts to separate the "haves" from the "have nots" at an earlier and earlier age. Our son got into the program, but my son's friend got rejected. His family is poor and don't have the time we do to help their son. As part of the application process, us parents had to answer some questions, too. So it is definitely putting kids with struggling parents at a bigger and bigger disadvantage.

I think our school district got into this program because they are an urban district losing students to suburban ones. Right now our district is the only one in the area offering this program. I think they are hoping it stops some of the flight from their district. I am not sure it's going to accomplish that though. We have open enrollment, and can choose to send our kids to any of the 3 high schools in the district. Like you are saying, they each have a specialty now. Well, only one of the 3 high schools has this degree program, and it is out near the edge of town in a suburban area. So it is sucking students away from the inner city high school. It's just another drain on the inner city.

I think this program will be real nice for the more well-off suburban people, and will be harder for poor people in the inner city to get into and graduate from. I'm not sure people will move from other cities to to this district just to get their kids into this program. Soon I'm sure the nearby districts will start up their own programs and it will be moot, and it will accelerate the decline of our district even further.

PostPosted: January 23 19, 6:48 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Hate to belabor this topic but it appears the twitter account accused of being a foreign agent and playing everyone was a real person from the Bay Area who happened to tweet a lot and use a fake profile pic. Might also have automated some of her tweets and bought some of her followers, but seems to be a sincere and enthusiastic Trump hater.

I’ve run across a bunch of accounts like this because for some reason I enjoy digging into it, and they seem fake at first because they seem to tweet all day long but it turns out they end up having Facebook profiles or LinkedIn accounts that match up.

PostPosted: January 23 19, 10:42 pm 
Hall Of Famer

ghostrunner wrote:
Hate to belabor this topic but it appears the twitter account accused of being a foreign agent and playing everyone was a real person from the Bay Area who happened to tweet a lot and use a fake profile pic. Might also have automated some of her tweets and bought some of her followers, but seems to be a sincere and enthusiastic Trump hater.

I spent too much time on this topic, but there's a more general issue here. That's lousy journalism from NBC. If you can't connect a business account with a real, live person -- not necessarily the proprietor, but customers or vendors or somebody out there -- then either you're lazy or it's pretty damning. I could see where a journalist might not want to doxx the tweeter, but the journalist can establish the person's identity without actually telling us who the person is (that kinda happened with Christine Blasey Ford, although her getting outed and then getting death threats is not particularly supportive of my larger argument). If the mainstream media is going to spend so much of its time broadcasting viral social media content, then this is a skill reporters need to learn.

It's also annoying that Twitter has to go Kafka-esque with its enforcement. You track us like we're zebras on Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom. You'll tell a hundred marketing organizations what I had for lunch. Why can't you actually create some value for society and tell the public if this person is real?

PostPosted: January 24 19, 11:03 am 
Hall Of Famer

This seems like a pretty big freedom of speech concern.

Who Posted Viral Video of Covington Students and Protester? Congress Wants to Know
Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO — Lawmakers are investigating the Twitter account that first shared a video of a group of white teenagers taunting a Native American protester in Washington, a collision of racial groups and politics that went viral.

The House Intelligence Committee asked Twitter on Tuesday to provide information about how the video took off so fast. The committee said it was also awaiting information about the account that first uploaded the video and accounts that helped spread it by retweeting it.

Senator Mark Warner, a Democrat from Virginia, separately asked Twitter to provide more information about the video. A spokeswoman for Mr. Warner said Twitter had found that the account originated in the United States.

Twitter declined to comment on the video, on the requests from the Intelligence Committee and Mr. Warner, and on whether the account was domestic.

PostPosted: February 19 19, 8:36 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Holy [expletive] we need to burn this church to the ground.

Covington Catholic Teen Sues The Washington Post for $250 Million
Quote:
Nick Sandmann, the Kentucky high school student at the center of a viral confrontation with a Native American elder in front of the Lincoln Memorial last month, has filed a $250 million defamation lawsuit against The Washington Post. According to a press release from the law firm Hemmer, DeFrank, and Wessels, the suit alleges that the Post “ignored basic journalist standards” and waged “malicious attacks” on Sandmann by “falsely accusing him” of instigating the tense standoff with Phillips. The lawsuit claims the Post's coverage “caused permanent damage to [Sandmann's] life and reputation” because the paper “wanted to advance its well-known and easily documented, biased agenda against President Donald J. Trump” by targeting Trump supporters. The suit further claims the newspaper published “False and Defamatory Accusations,” proving itself to be a “loud and aggressive bully with a bully pulpit.” Sandmann and his attorneys seek $50 million in compensatory damages and $200 million in punitive damages to “teach the Post a lesson it will never forget.” The suit also notes that $250 million is the same amount Amazon founder Jeff Bezos bought the newspaper for in 2013.

Two of the lawyers on the suit confirmed to The Daily Beast that they intend to sue more media outlets on behalf of Sandmann and his family. “We are currently evaluating claims against a number of other defendants,” lawyer Todd McMurtry wrote. “I cannot identify any of those potential targets at this time.” Kristine Kelly, VP of Communications at the Post, said the newspaper was “reviewing a copy of the lawsuit and [they] plan to mount a vigorous defense.”

I also don't know how they can single out the Post when it was virally spread over social media. Seems like if they should sue anyone it should be Twitter, where the video first emerged.

PostPosted: February 19 19, 10:30 pm 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

pioneer98 wrote:
Holy [expletive] we need to burn this church to the ground.

Covington Catholic Teen Sues The Washington Post for $250 Million
Quote:
Nick Sandmann, the Kentucky high school student at the center of a viral confrontation with a Native American elder in front of the Lincoln Memorial last month, has filed a $250 million defamation lawsuit against The Washington Post. According to a press release from the law firm Hemmer, DeFrank, and Wessels, the suit alleges that the Post “ignored basic journalist standards” and waged “malicious attacks” on Sandmann by “falsely accusing him” of instigating the tense standoff with Phillips. The lawsuit claims the Post's coverage “caused permanent damage to [Sandmann's] life and reputation” because the paper “wanted to advance its well-known and easily documented, biased agenda against President Donald J. Trump” by targeting Trump supporters. The suit further claims the newspaper published “False and Defamatory Accusations,” proving itself to be a “loud and aggressive bully with a bully pulpit.” Sandmann and his attorneys seek $50 million in compensatory damages and $200 million in punitive damages to “teach the Post a lesson it will never forget.” The suit also notes that $250 million is the same amount Amazon founder Jeff Bezos bought the newspaper for in 2013.

Two of the lawyers on the suit confirmed to The Daily Beast that they intend to sue more media outlets on behalf of Sandmann and his family. “We are currently evaluating claims against a number of other defendants,” lawyer Todd McMurtry wrote. “I cannot identify any of those potential targets at this time.” Kristine Kelly, VP of Communications at the Post, said the newspaper was “reviewing a copy of the lawsuit and [they] plan to mount a vigorous defense.”

I also don't know how they can single out the Post when it was virally spread over social media. Seems like if they should sue anyone it should be Twitter, where the video first emerged.

They are literally just trying to hurt Trump's enemies. That's it. [expletive] that kid btw. You know he will be some Republican congressman someday.

PostPosted: February 19 19, 11:00 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

WWJD?

PostPosted: February 20 19, 7:40 am 
Replies Authoritatively

Quote:
The lawsuit claims the Post's coverage “caused permanent damage to [Sandmann's] life and reputation” because the paper “wanted to advance its well-known and easily documented, biased agenda against President Donald J. Trump” by targeting Trump supporters.

Counterpoint: being a fervent supporter of Donald J. Trump, wearing Trump merch in public, and acting like an ignorant disrespectful little prick "caused permanent damage to his life and reputation." I don't need the WaPo to tell me not to associate with that kid, not to welcome him into my home, not to give him a job.

PostPosted: February 20 19, 7:54 am 
99% conan clips

Freed Roger wrote:
WWJD?

indeed

PostPosted: February 20 19, 9:38 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

It is the Swatstika of our time

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next