GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently July 17 19, 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: January 26 19, 12:23 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Where would we be? Better off or worse?

...Realizing people define better/worse differently, more appropriately the question is - What would be different?

...a kick in the nuts or a poke in the eye?

Discuss.

Btw, Cursory search on this only comes up with year and half old NY Mag article.http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2017/04/what-would-it-be-like-if-ted-cruz-had-become-president.html

PostPosted: January 26 19, 12:37 pm 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.
SCOTUS would be even more conservative.

PostPosted: January 26 19, 12:53 pm 
Consider him admonished

About the same with more decorum.

PostPosted: January 26 19, 1:32 pm 

The Wall concept ala Trump and shutdown would not have happened....
Bannon got the ball running for Trump, picking perhaps most corrupt and/or destructive possible appointees as cabinet and dept heads. DeVos, Pruett, Zinke, Rick Perry, Tillerson, Ross, Mnuchkin, Carson .... and filling the WH halls with Stephen Miller for immigration policy, Kushner for general grift etc

Libertarian view may say none of those positions serve a function and are a waste under any president. My view is the fallout is not immediate. The degradation of institutions under Trump will be more evident over time.

Also, I realize the Cruz appointees would have been only marginally better or on par. Like Mick Mulvaney. Tillerson Mnuchkin types still would have landed a spot under Cruz.

Last edited by Freed Roger on January 26 19, 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: January 26 19, 1:45 pm 

I wonder if the GOP would have been less unified though. Cruz isn't liked within GOP, and we may have seen more GOP congress with cajones to pushback towards Cruz WH.

Trump has managed a way of owning the GOP, as evidenced by these meetings where they all bow to him. They are scared of him. He has backed them into a corner too many times to mention. Former foes have completely acquiesced to Trump (i.e Rand Paul, Lindsey Graham, Cruz etc etc)
Not sure how much quicker legislation would have passed. Team Trump eliminated the middle man of debate and had industry/Stephen Miller just write EOs.

Foreign policy? I don't think Cruz puts NATO on the rocks. N Korea -who the [expletive] knows? Tariff and trade wars -I don't think happened.

PostPosted: January 26 19, 2:38 pm 
Perennial All-Star

I just can’t imagine anyone worse than trump

Rosanne Barr would be better

PostPosted: January 26 19, 5:21 pm 
Hall Of Famer

He wouldn't have a beard.

PostPosted: January 27 19, 8:20 pm 
Hall Of Famer

If Cruz had won, we would not have had dudes taking selfies with the nuclear football at Mar a Lago.

Some kind of shutdown could have still happened though, over some other issue. Cruz was the architect of a shutdown when he was in the senate.

PostPosted: January 28 19, 9:06 am 
Replies Authoritatively

We would probably not have the all-out assault on the truth and fact-based journalism that we have today. We would probably not have Charlottesville because we would not have a fully-empowered community of right-wing hate groups inspired by the words of our POTUS. We would probably not have President Cruz's personal attorney and campaign manager in prison, and that guy who looks like if Steve Martin was drawn by Matt Groening joining them there soon.

I think it's vital that we keep perspective here. I've ranted a lot about fellow progressives dragging HRC last election and now we need to do more to talk about how [expletive] awesome Nancy Pelosi is right now and how she's exactly the right person to be Speaker and to be putting Trump in check even if we don't always love establishment Dems. Similarly, we need to have some perspective on Trump. Cruz is a shady, [expletive] Republican and Trump is an enormously stupid, unaware, ignorant reality TV show host who doesn't even bother to mask his racism and misogyny. There's a really big gap between the two of them and President Cruz would have been a spineless useless POTUS but he'd be about 100000% better than what we have now.

PostPosted: January 28 19, 10:10 am 
Everday Unicorn

Cruz would've been a GWB type of president, except smarmy instead of faux-folksy. GWB was a terrible president primarily because he surrounded himself with aggressive and small minded powermongers. But Trump is something much worse, much more sinister, and much more destructive to the tenets of democracy.

So as weird as it is to say, president Cruz would've been..."better." Because a dumpster fire is better than a house fire.