GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently February 16 19, 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: "Better Together"
PostPosted: January 28 19, 2:26 pm 
Perennial All-Star

Since I can't search this subforum, I'm starting a new thread about the upcoming debate/discussion on a possible vote in MO to merge STL City and County.

https://www.kmov.com/news/better-togeth ... 4e623.html

https://www.bettertogetherstl.com/recommendations

I don't live in MO, but I still find this topic interesting. What say you, STL citizens?

Post subject: Re: "Better Together"
PostPosted: January 28 19, 2:28 pm 
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

They should have done it a long time ago, but I have a tough time believing the county will vote for it.

PostPosted: January 28 19, 2:32 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Keep in mind - our very own Koch Bros -Rex Sinquefield is a player in this initiative. I haven't given thought to all his angles, downsides etc.

PostPosted: January 28 19, 2:35 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

Devil is in the deets.

PostPosted: January 28 19, 3:41 pm 
Don't tone police me bro!

I trust few people's opinion in the city more than Glenn Burleigh's when it comes to the fallout of these kinds of policies-- he knows his research. Follow his feed if you're still on FB. Here's a post he made a month ago about the loss of the earnings tax:

Quote:
Anywho, it has already been floated that this revenue could be replaced by a modest sales tax increase across the newly combined entity. It has even been suggested that this would be lower than the city’s current rate. Oh joy! Everybody wins! Except it is not that simple. While it is possible that tax rates would be lowered in the city, it would be a negligible decrease, while sales taxes across the whole of the newly combined area would go up. This would mean that the relatively progressive city income tax would be replaced with a more regressive sales tax. Keep reading if you want a short lesson in Missouri tax law and local budgets and an actual look at the numbers and the realities of city and county budgets.

PostPosted: January 28 19, 3:58 pm 
tl;dr

Popeye_Card wrote:
They should have done it a long time ago, but I have a tough time believing the county will vote for it.

I just laughed when I saw a statement that various mayors and council members in the county are against any type of merger between the city and county. Of course they are because they end up losing power in the deal. If the police departments are consolidated, they lose power in their little kingdom. When it comes time for contracts for various services, they lose their potential for kickbacks. Part of the problem in this area is corruption in those smaller municipalities and it needs to end.

And that isn't even getting into how the region actively fights against itself when Big Box Store decides to get municipalities to fight over where the new store is built when most of the time they are simply replacing a store that already exists so there are no actual permanent jobs or additional sales added to the region overall... but some municipality will offer tax incentives and/or other perks to steal the revenue from the next municipality over.

PostPosted: January 28 19, 3:58 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Edit -tlombard beat me to this

City/county is one thing, but major problem with services and master planning the region etc is all the municipalities in the county. This will do nothing for that.

The municiplality situation is what leads to big competing developments across the street from each other but in different municipalites. Also, the various inequities with policing (this is how we end up with [expletive] Ferguson police forces etc) ....granted a big consolidated police force would have some dangers as well, if overall leadership is poor

PostPosted: January 28 19, 5:16 pm 
Don't tone police me bro!

PostPosted: January 28 19, 5:30 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Schlich wrote:
I trust few people's opinion in the city more than Glenn Burleigh's when it comes to the fallout of these kinds of policies-- he knows his research. Follow his feed if you're still on FB. Here's a post he made a month ago about the loss of the earnings tax:

Quote:
Anywho, it has already been floated that this revenue could be replaced by a modest sales tax increase across the newly combined entity. It has even been suggested that this would be lower than the city’s current rate. Oh joy! Everybody wins! Except it is not that simple. While it is possible that tax rates would be lowered in the city, it would be a negligible decrease, while sales taxes across the whole of the newly combined area would go up. This would mean that the relatively progressive city income tax would be replaced with a more regressive sales tax. Keep reading if you want a short lesson in Missouri tax law and local budgets and an actual look at the numbers and the realities of city and county budgets.

Dunno the particulars here, but a more regressive tax system combined with more progressive service provision can still be a net gain.

PostPosted: January 28 19, 6:27 pm 
Perennial All-Star

Schlich wrote:

My reaction to reading that: Well, there goes that idea.

I doubt it would pass, as it seems it is already facing an uphill battle. That would seem to sink it for sure.