GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently May 19 19, 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: February 25 19, 1:57 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That entire article is complete trash. It's trying to say "the kids were taught a lesson". The only lessons they were taught is that they need to ramp up their organizing and protesting even more if they want to get what they want, and that Democrats are not their friends.

SOME Democrats surely?

Last edited by Joe Shlabotnik on February 25 19, 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February 25 19, 1:57 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Swirls wrote:
AOC's GND calls for all these changes by 2030, right? Even 10 years from now I don't see it being achievable (even taking nuclear into consideration). So even though we're many many years away from it, if her plan went through we would have to start developing some pretty friggin badass gigantic batteries capable of storing several megawatts each within the next few years.

I think it’s fair to characterize that goal as aspirational. It’s the proper scale for planning, but pushing it out doesn’t change the conclusion for what to do today - focus on massive renewable expansion with associated infrastructure.

Regarding storage, it won’t be batteries mainly. Way too expensive. Pumped storage hydro (which is already deployed) and perhaps other lifting heavy objects type schemes are more viable.

PostPosted: February 25 19, 2:02 pm 
gone fission

I agree that our best bet at making a measurable impact 10-15 years from now is to focus on construction of clean and renewable sources today. And I mean go at it hard and balls deep.

I'd love to see paperwork for 40 new nuclear plants to be submitted but am aware it will never happen. So leave them as they are (and maybe extend them for another 20 years).

PostPosted: February 25 19, 2:05 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
Quote:
That entire article is complete trash. It's trying to say "the kids were taught a lesson". The only lessons they were taught is that they need to ramp up their organizing and protesting even more if they want to get what they want, and that Democrats are not their friends.

SOME Democrats surely?

Yeah I guess

PostPosted: February 25 19, 2:23 pm 
Perennial All-Star

I was able to hear a venture capital executive speak recently, and he mentioned that there is a company in Texas that is figuring out how to broadcast power wirelessly. I don't know what the transmission losses are, but if that technology were scalable, that would mitigate the "overcast/nighttime" issue. The overall solar portfolio would be geographically diversified.

PostPosted: February 25 19, 3:15 pm 
Don't tone police me bro!

mikechamp wrote:
I was able to hear a venture capital executive speak recently, and he mentioned that there is a company in Texas that is figuring out how to broadcast power wirelessly. I don't know what the transmission losses are, but if that technology were scalable, that would mitigate the "overcast/nighttime" issue. The overall solar portfolio would be geographically diversified.

The fact that anyone thinks that this is possible blows my mind! Not in a skeptical way but a holy crap that would be really cool way

PostPosted: February 25 19, 3:35 pm 
Perennial All-Star

This is not that company, but here's a different company that is looking at the "renewable power distribution at grid-scale" issue:

https://www.enbala.com/

Listening to this guy talk reminded me that there is a lot of innovation going on that doesn't get press yet, and for good reason. It's still in prototype (or earlier) phase, and some of the technology is closely guarded to retain competitive advantage. But there are some smart people and big dollars working together.

I know that some of this stuff seems far off, but really, it's not... if it were to receive sizable monetary support. To be fair, it is getting some in the form of venture capital. But imagine if the DoE was also contributing to its success. That would accelerate the timeline even more.

PostPosted: February 25 19, 3:39 pm 
Perennial All-Star

One other thing to add to this conversation, and this isn't a swipe at nuclear, swirls:

Quote:
In a single hour, the amount of power from the sun that strikes the Earth is more than the entire world consumes in an year.

To put that in numbers, from the US Department of Energy:

Each hour, 430 quintillion Joules of energy from the sun hits the Earth. That's 430 with 18 zeroes after it!

In comparison, the total amount of energy that all humans use in a year is 410 quintillion Joules.

https://science.energy.gov/~/media/bes/pdf/reports/files/seu_rpt.pdf

Maybe this belongs in the "sounds false but is true" thread.

PostPosted: February 25 19, 3:45 pm 
Everyday Player

mikechamp wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
The Green New Deal is probably the best piece of legislation introduced in our country in 20 years.

I think it is in the Top 5 most transformative bills since 1900:

(In no particular order):

The New Deal
Creation of Social Security
Women's/Minority voting rights
Creation of Medicare/Medicaid
Green New Deal

And unfortunately they are all bankrupt.

PostPosted: February 25 19, 4:17 pm 
Hall Of Famer

baseburglerlou wrote:
mikechamp wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
The Green New Deal is probably the best piece of legislation introduced in our country in 20 years.

I think it is in the Top 5 most transformative bills since 1900:

(In no particular order):

The New Deal
Creation of Social Security
Women's/Minority voting rights
Creation of Medicare/Medicaid
Green New Deal

And unfortunately they are all bankrupt.

Womens and minority voting rights?
I don't see where Medicare / medicaid are bankrupt. Or social security either. Underfunded maybe. But that's not bankrupt.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next