GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 14 19, 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Israel
PostPosted: February 11 19, 2:47 pm 
Perennial All-Star

Rep. Ilhan Omar accused of anti-Semitism

Quote:
Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) "unequivocally" apologized for her tweets on Israel Monday, which used stereotypes often perceived as anti-Semitic, saying that she "is grateful for Jewish allies and colleagues who are educating [her] on the painful history of anti-Semitic tropes."

The backdrop: Speaker Nancy Pelosi and House Democratic leadership condemned Omar's comments earlier in the day and requested an apology, saying her "use of anti-Semitic tropes and prejudicial accusations about Israel’s supporters is deeply offensive."

In a Sunday night tweet, Omar insinuated political support for Israel is based on campaign donations from pro-Israel lobbying groups — specifically AIPAC. In her apology, Omar said that she reaffirmed "the problematic role of lobbyists in our politics," adding that the U.S. "must be willing to address it."
Throughout the day on Monday, a growing number of House Democrats called on Pelosi to respond to Omar's tweets.
The response to Omar's comments highlights a flashpoint in today's Democratic Party between more traditional members, who often vocally support Israel, and the party's progressive wing, which is much more likely to criticize Israeli policies and occupation of the Palestinian territories.

I haven't found a reposting of exactly what she tweeted that is drawing so much criticism, but I think the gist is clear above.

Maybe I'm being naive and maybe my perspective is influenced by her attempt to clarify what she said, but I am having trouble understanding how what she said is anti-Semitic. The Israeli gov't has done and continues to do a lot of bad things to Palestinians. yet, it has been seen as blasphemy (literally) for most US politicians to criticize the Israeli govt. But I definitely think it's entirely possible to criticize Israeli gov't policies or the influence of something like AIPAC without being anti-Semitic. an easy analogy is that criticizing the actions or policies of the NRA does not make me anti-gun. Nor does criticizing the actions or policies of the Chinese gov't mean that I'm racist.

Post subject: Re: Israel
PostPosted: February 11 19, 2:49 pm 
All-Star

You have two minority groups who have long painful history and really despise one another, in the end. As soon as one even tip toes into certain waters they get lambasted.

Not a good look from one of the new "saviors" of the Democratic Party. Though I'm sure it'll be attributed to learning pains like most of the transgressions they commit.

PostPosted: February 11 19, 2:52 pm 
Perennial All-Star

I assume you're referring to Israelis and Palestinians?

PostPosted: February 11 19, 2:53 pm 
All-Star

Gashouse wrote:
I assume you're referring to Israelis and Palestinians?

I live in one of the bigger Somali populations in the US. I've spoken to mostly 1st generationers. They aren't found of Israel or jews in general, in my experience.

PostPosted: February 11 19, 3:00 pm 
99% conan clips

i think there is some truth in this. regardless, religion is so bad.

PostPosted: February 11 19, 3:05 pm 
All-Star

Curious how the left will continue to walk the increasingly tight rope of inclusion while growing portions of their constituency and leaders have prejudices and religious affiliations that at their core aren't tolerant.

PostPosted: February 11 19, 3:24 pm 
Perennial All-Star

MAGA you're making a lot of generalizations and assumptions there but that's another discussion for another day. But you're missing the main point or question here: Is criticism of Israeli government policies or the influence of AIPAC inherently anti-Semitic?

PostPosted: February 11 19, 3:29 pm 
All-Star

Gashouse wrote:
MAGA you're making a lot of generalizations and assumptions there but that's another discussion for another day. But you're missing the main point or question here: Is criticism of Israeli government policies or the influence of AIPAC inherently anti-Semitic?

it's what I do. Good point though.

Umm, I would say it's not. Governments not being criticize-able (?) is all sorts of bad. If lobbyist groups are pushing for a government that's doing questionable things, the lobby can be questioned, as well.

I also can't find exactly what this lady said about the groups in question, but the fact that it's coming from a Somali muslim doesn't help her case in terms of optics. Which is unfortunate because she might have something insightful. Again, I can't find what that is.

Last edited by MAGA on February 11 19, 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February 11 19, 3:30 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

Gashouse wrote:

It’s not. Same with being unhappy with anti-BDS legislation.

Rep Omar has some learning to do if she wants to be effective. I’ve seen too much chirping and not enough digging in and explaining.

PostPosted: February 11 19, 4:48 pm 
bronoun enthusiast

Her tweet was obviously not anti-semitic, the target of her "all about the benjamins" comment wasn't even israel. It was the overwhelmingly gentile members of congress who take [expletive] loads of money from AIPAC to pass absurd legislation that results in my boss having to sign a contract that swears our company will never boycott the state of Israel before we're allowed to do work with any state university in arizona.

The conversation around Israel right now is completely toxic on both sides of our political aisle and frankly I think it's disgraceful that one of the most remarkable and inspiring young politicians of my lifetime has to bend to the whims of a [expletive] lobbying group that has democratic leadership wrapped around it's apartheid-committing finger. It's not inherently anti-semitic to be critical of Israel or it's lobbying arm. It's just not.