GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently May 19 19, 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Israel
PostPosted: February 15 19, 2:25 pm 
bronoun enthusiast

Quote:
Her short, tweeted messages managed to conjure up an old anti-Semitic bugaboo: a shadowy cabal of international Jews with no loyalty to this country, who wield outsized and sinister influence.

Omar apologized for a similarly tone-deaf tweet from 2012 when she'd declared Israel had “hypnotized the world." This also brushes against classic anti-Semitic tropes.

So what's a good way for a progressive to criticize Israel when those criticisms are a) legitimate/fair and b) play into stereotypes that anti-semites make about jews?

I'm asking this in good faith because I really want to be sensitive to the historic and present impact of anti-semitism on jewish people while also thinking to myself, "well, sometimes it does feel like Israel has hypnotized the world into taking their side no matter what" or "sometimes AIPAC/Israel/and weird evangelicals do seem like an international, shadowy cabal who wield outsized, sinister influence?"

And I know some people here disagree, but I can't help but think that not everyone is receiving these tweets from black woman in a hijabi the same way they would from some white dude, even though the same accusations ofantisemitism have been leveled at Jeremy Corbyn and even Bernie Sanders when they try to address these issues aggressively.

Obviously many leftists, including Jews like Bernie, like to take a "no war but class war" approach that can often seem insensitive to issues of identity politics, so I really want to figure out how to have these conversations without being insensitive.

PostPosted: February 15 19, 2:35 pm 
Perennial All-Star

I have the same questions. I wonder how much the format of tweets is at play since there isn't enough room to add critical context to provide clear intent.

PostPosted: February 15 19, 4:15 pm 
Hall Of Famer

I can see how her old tweet about people being "hypnotized" was problematic. I get that one. I struggle a lot more more with the recent ones. She tweeted "It's all about the Benjamins!" and the other tweet was simply "AIPAC!". Just mentioning AIPAC by name is a problem? Explaining that AIPAC gives money to politicians is a problem?

Republicans who claim these are anti-Semitic are arguing in bad faith since they are constantly race baiting in much worse and more obvious ways. So I do not care one iota about what they about this issue. But if Jews on the progressive side also have problems with these tweets, we have to listen, and I'm very curious what the preferred way to talk about this is.

PostPosted: February 16 19, 7:12 am 
Hall Of Famer

Twitter is given to jokes but it’s probably best to avoid that and be as straightforward as possible. Criticize Israel and aipac and speak up FOR Palestinians. It was an innocuous joke and I thought pretty clever since Benjamin is Bibi’s full name, but the problem is it’s open to interpretation.

PostPosted: February 22 19, 10:25 am 
bronoun enthusiast

https://forward.com/news/national/41970 ... -politics/
I'm admiring the broad reaction to Netanyahu's recent actions. I think the backlash is starting in earnest.

PostPosted: February 22 19, 11:01 am 
Hall Of Famer

I just finished this book I checked out from the library, and learned a lot even though it's pretty short.

https://www.amazon.com/Where-Line-Drawn ... 1620972913

It's written by a Palestinian about his experiences with checkpoints, settlements and travels into Israel. Anyway, the gist is that the walls are constantly closing in these people and their lands and houses keep being taken from them. The author is pretty level and fair about the violence coming from both sides, but you get a good picture of how this affects the average Palestinian who's just trying to work and live and how difficult that is. There are roads the Israelis can take that Palestinians can't. A lot of the checkpoint incidents are reminiscent of those we see and read about here between black people and police.

Hardly any of the book focuses on major events, but one thing mentioned at the end that I'd forgotten about was this incident, where an Israeli soldier shot an injured Palestinian lying in the street. The man attempted to stab a solider but was already shot and unable to move. Went to jail for 8 months and it sounds like he's now treated like a hero.

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/elor ... ury-israel

PostPosted: February 28 19, 10:31 am 
99% conan clips

bibi's gettin indicted

edit: bribery and fraud, corruption

PostPosted: February 28 19, 12:11 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Jocephus wrote:
bibi's gettin indicted

edit: bribery and fraud, corruption

another Trumper.

PostPosted: April 9 19, 1:18 pm 
Perennial All-Star

Polls have closed in Israel’s election and the first exit polls look bad for Netanyahu. I hope he loses. He’s embraced Trump and the far right in Israel.

PostPosted: April 9 19, 1:38 pm 
Hall Of Famer

MAGA wrote:
Curious how the left will continue to walk the increasingly tight rope of inclusion while growing portions of their constituency and leaders have prejudices and religious affiliations that at their core aren't tolerant.

There are a few billion Muslims on this planet, and this may shock you, but they don't all have the same politics. Just like there are conservative and liberal Christians, there are also conservative and liberal Muslims.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next