GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently May 19 19, 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: GDT Cohen Hearing
PostPosted: February 27 19, 9:51 pm 
Perennial All-Star

What's apparent from today is SDNY probably has enough to bury the Trump Organization. The presidency won't be able to save these grifters from those charges.

PostPosted: February 27 19, 11:56 pm 
Hall Of Famer

So many of the tweets, articles, etc refer to Cohen as "Trump's former fixer". Like "fixer" is a job title. I mean, its accurate but just that name implies guilt of creating a lot of messes that need "fixing". Its that obvious what Trump is about.

PostPosted: February 28 19, 10:09 am 
Hall Of Famer

https://jeb.substack.com/p/lets-meet-so ... lican-guys
Quote:
The fact that Trump can’t be racist because “he had a black employee” really re-casts that Jim Crow century of Southern domestic labor and sharecropping. That Meadows—who was eyerolling like an Italian diva suffering a stroke at the suggestion that he could be racist, while Twitter erupted with links to a video of him Birthering on a live mic in 2012—ended his day with a reprise of this same argument when he noted that his nieces and nephews are people of color seems to have escaped him, but you almost have to admire the fact that his own argument degraded in just a matter of hours. “I’m not racist, I even chose to hire a black person” at least involves some choice on the racist’s part. But “I’m not racist because someone who is not me but who is related to me married a person of color and also made other people of color with them or perhaps they merely adopted people of color, I’m not going to elaborate on this” is some powerful brain karate. I don’t have a reconstructed knee and move like Drew Bledsoe in leg irons because my half-brother has a 40” leap. You’re not even reading this right now, your mom is.

The thing that really warms the belly is that the GOP sent out the only people Michael Cohen can actually outwit, which is to say its members. In their desperation to avoid any semblance of investigating the president, they had to degrade Cohen, but they stubbornly insisted on doing so in a way that simultaneously condemned the president. The most frequent question came in variations on, “Mr. Cohen, you are, are you not, going to prison for lying to Congress,” despite the fact that, as my friend Charles Star noted the other day, he lied to Congress by claiming the president did not commit crimes. That one out of the way, they then turned to the Ur-question of the day, which invariably translated to, “Now, Mr. Cohen, you are someone who actually committed an insane number of egregious crimes on behalf of your former employer, the President of the United States, is that correct?”

PostPosted: February 28 19, 10:19 am 
gone fission

Unfortunately the use of actual logic seems to escape the Trump blowhards. My entire damn FB feed yesterday was full of something along the lines of, "OMG I can't believe Cohen is on TV, I can't stand this guy for lying to Congress! Why's he up there now? You can't trust a word he says!"

Followed by a bunch of other comments from various people agreeing with everything.

I really can't take much more of it. I should deactivate my FB account.

PostPosted: February 28 19, 10:47 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Swirls wrote:
Unfortunately the use of actual logic seems to escape the Trump blowhards. My entire damn FB feed yesterday was full of something along the lines of, "OMG I can't believe Cohen is on TV, I can't stand this guy for lying to Congress! Why's he up there now? You can't trust a word he says!"

Followed by a bunch of other comments from various people agreeing with everything.

They have to get their illogical and bizarre/flat-out wrong views affirmed somehow.

I used to see this with my elder daughter in her teen years - "see! so and so [bottom-feeder] agrees, which makes it right."

PostPosted: February 28 19, 10:59 am 
Perennial All-Star

pioneer98 wrote:
https://jeb.substack.com/p/lets-meet-some-republican-guys
Quote:
The most frequent question came in variations on, “Mr. Cohen, you are, are you not, going to prison for lying to Congress,” despite the fact that, as my friend Charles Star noted the other day, he lied to Congress by claiming the president did not commit crimes. That one out of the way, they then turned to the Ur-question of the day, which invariably translated to, “Now, Mr. Cohen, you are someone who actually committed an insane number of egregious crimes on behalf of your former employer, the President of the United States, is that correct?”

Yeah, this is a variation of what I was saying earlier. How these guys can't connect these two simple dots is not amazing or incredulous, it's outright and blatant disregard of the facts.

PostPosted: February 28 19, 11:05 am 
Replies Authoritatively

Swirls wrote:

This is the stuff that puts the "fundamental" in "fundamentalism." Clearly defined binaries are one of the basic building block features of fundamentalism in religion and politics. Cohen did some bad things and therefore is all bad and can't be trusted. A woman who gets an abortion has done a bad thing and therefore is entirely bad--"baby killer." Donald Trump is, in their view, good for being a racist misogynist xenophobe fear- and hate-monger and therefore is all good--he could not possibly be lying, or colluding, or cheating people, or conning people. A person is either good or bad, right or wrong, with us or against us, and there isn't any room for gray or nuance or probability scales. Pair that with a leader they find charismatic and it's a hell of a thing.

PostPosted: February 28 19, 11:11 am 
Replies Authoritatively

mikechamp wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:
https://jeb.substack.com/p/lets-meet-some-republican-guys
Quote:
The most frequent question came in variations on, “Mr. Cohen, you are, are you not, going to prison for lying to Congress,” despite the fact that, as my friend Charles Star noted the other day, he lied to Congress by claiming the president did not commit crimes. That one out of the way, they then turned to the Ur-question of the day, which invariably translated to, “Now, Mr. Cohen, you are someone who actually committed an insane number of egregious crimes on behalf of your former employer, the President of the United States, is that correct?”

Yeah, this is a variation of what I was saying earlier. How these guys can't connect these two simple dots is not amazing or incredulous, it's outright and blatant disregard of the facts.

Also there was that point yesterday when Cohen mentioned that six months ago he was the finance chair of the RNC, having been asked that by a Dem. He added "I was a Democrat, until Steve Wynn told me I had to change."

The Republicans. Put Trump's personal lawyer. Who was a lifelong Democrat. In charge of their fundraising. Because of his ties to Trump.

How does that go without a ton of comment in the news? Like, CLEARLY Donald Trump has the Republican Party on a leash, to the point that they put his fixer in the chair's seat on their finance committee, a guy who wasn't even a party member before. This just lines up. It's not a giant leap of faith or a wild assumption to believe that Trump had Cohen eating out of the palm of his hand, doing whatever he wanted, and that everything Cohen did/said in the past was under the influence of Trump. I see him now as an ingenue who got out of Scientology and finally got some sunlight in her eyes.

PostPosted: February 28 19, 11:26 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Much is being made of AOC's tactical line of questioning yesterday.

Yeah, I am a fan.

I suspect AOC went to a NY constituent with legal background for strategy in making effective use of 5 min of questions with Trump's fixer. Which is what a smart elected person should do.

Though makes me wonder why more weren't doing the same. (exclusive of Trump creators-enabler-accomplices GOP).

With hearings like this, I do think some dems need to use their time to frame larger theme. And to beat back GOP propaganda. and call out that Meadows tucker.

Last edited by Freed Roger on February 28 19, 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February 28 19, 11:32 am 
Replies Authoritatively

She also has congressional staff to assist, yes? And resources in the DNC? I'd guess that given her level of popularity and the LeBron Jamesian level of magnificence that she's handling herself at what is a VERY young age for her position, the DNC is probably very "...and if there's anything we can do in the way of resources to assist you...." with her right now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next