GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 21 19, 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Where would you go?
PostPosted: August 28 19, 1:47 pm 
Master of Hyperbole

Iceland is about as perfect as you can get IMO...in current world

PostPosted: August 28 19, 5:27 pm 
http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy

33anda3rd wrote:
heyzeus wrote:
Nowhere is fully safe, nope. Particularly as a Jew, it's not like any country I could go to is exactly free from any such history.

In conclusion, YAY WORLD OF 2019

Right, there are like 16-18 countries in Europe, ranging from Cyprus to Sweden, where 4-50% of the electorate is now on some kind of populism/nationalism. Even famously chill Switzerland has that Peoples Party or whatever that's like a quarter or a third of the nation now.

The countries that are free from that would be Portugal, Belgium, Luxembourg. The cons there would be:
1. I don't speak Luxembourgese
2. Those are some small countries bound to a union with all the rest of them
3. There's probably a reason they don't have nationalism: migrants don't want to go there to make the nationalism thing rise. They're not desirable places to live. Yeah, even Portugal. Economy is booming, but the EU bailed them out less than a decade ago and they just might be an express train headed into an economic crash.

What? Luxembourg is the richest country in the world (GDP per capita of $114k v. US at no. 8 with $62,600) with an ideal locale (sandwiched between France and Germany) and all the amenities. How is it not a desirable place to live? If anything, it's expensive perhaps. Pretty much the entire native population speaks French and/or German, and many speak English. They have a huge affinity for Americans. Spent my junior year in college there and loved it! So easy to travel to other countries due to its central locale and transit.

Geddy, not to put a damper on your dreams, but don't you have your ex to consider? My experience with co-parenting situations is it's tough to move out of state, let alone out of the country. I guess you're talking about after your kids graduate from HS?

PostPosted: August 28 19, 6:56 pm 
Mayor of GRB

I'd look into Trinidad or the Bahamas.

PostPosted: August 28 19, 7:06 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Swirls wrote:
Panama

1. English is the unofficial language
2. The US dollar is the official form of currency
3. Panama City has a huge [expletive] airport so you can easily get nonstop flights back to the US
4. Eastern time zone
5. I get that you're not there yet, but their standard benefits for retirees are incredible
6. Huge US expat population
7. Quite affordable, even if you choose to live in Panama City rather than somewhere more remote
8. Lots of history and culture if you're into that sort of thing (check out the Casco Viejo district of Panama City)
9. Strong economy
10. They drive on the right side of the road
11. No special visa required to enter the country (tourists can stay for up to 180 days with just a valid US passport, so good for anyone who wants to visit your new digs)

This idea has stuck with me ever since you brought it up. What is health care like in Panama? I read a bit on Wikipedia but don't have a great feel for it

PostPosted: August 28 19, 7:35 pm 
Veteran Player

pioneer98 wrote:
Swirls wrote:
Panama

3. Panama City has a huge [expletive] airport so you can easily get nonstop flights back to the US
4. Eastern time zone
5. I get that you're not there yet, but their standard benefits for retirees are incredible
7. Quite affordable, even if you choose to live in Panama City rather than somewhere more remote
8. Lots of history and culture if you're into that sort of thing (check out the Casco Viejo district of Panama City)
9. Strong economy
11. No special visa required to enter the country (tourists can stay for up to 180 days with just a valid US passport, so good for anyone who wants to visit your new digs)

This idea has stuck with me ever since you brought it up. What is health care like in Panama? I read a bit on Wikipedia but don't have a great feel for it

Sounds awesome and everything, but, like, isn’t this the kind of location that’s going to be underwater in the not so distant future?

PostPosted: August 28 19, 7:35 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

pioneer98 wrote:
Swirls wrote:
Panama

4. Eastern time zone
9. Strong economy

Panama is a great place to go if you’re on the lam.

PostPosted: August 28 19, 11:03 pm 
Perennial All-Star

Zeus, would you consider Israel?

I can think of a lot of places I would like to live, but being on disability and unable to work, I don't think I would pass muster as an immigrant to most places.

PostPosted: August 29 19, 9:55 am 
Hall Of Famer

Spent a couple weeks in Portugal and that sounds good to me too. Loved it there, and I can learn a language.

PostPosted: August 29 19, 10:00 am 
darjeeling sipping elite

ghostrunner wrote:
Spent a couple weeks in Portugal and that sounds good to me too. Loved it there, and I can learn a language.

Wife’s good friend lives in Sagres (sw tip of Portugal) and runs a couple Airbnb’s. I have not been.

PostPosted: August 29 19, 10:19 am 
Hall Of Famer

lukethedrifter wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:

Wife’s good friend lives in Sagres (sw tip of Portugal) and runs a couple Airbnb’s. I have not been.

We were in Lisbon for a week and then spent a week in Evora, a smaller town about an hour further inland. Lots of fun historic sites there - remains of a Roman aqueduct, a Roman wall around part of the city, part of a Roman temple, and a chapel made of bones. Very laid back, though this was in the offseason.

I remember loving the food there, but strangely can't remember anything in particular except the coffee.

San Sebastian, Spain would be another option for me based on our visit, but it's kind of a summer vacation town and again we were there in the offseason.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next