GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently June 18 19, 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: June 7 19, 2:22 pm 
Replies Authoritatively

She has a better grasp on policy and the issues than all of them, but I won't be a bit surprised when she's criticized unfairly for being too cold or "not someone you want to drink a beer with" or some dumb [expletive] like that.

PostPosted: June 7 19, 3:22 pm 
Hall Of Famer

33anda3rd wrote:
She has a better grasp on policy and the issues than all of them, but I won't be a bit surprised when she's criticized unfairly for being too cold or "not someone you want to drink a beer with" or some dumb [expletive] like that.

If the money holds out, then another six months of clips like the above will make those kinds of generic anti-intellectual stereotypes look silly.

Warren has a narrative that makes here intentions clear and imminently relatable. She sounds natural, which means I think they'll have to attack her as a godless communist. The people who cared about that [expletive] are mostly dead though.

PostPosted: June 7 19, 3:54 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

I thought we were attacking Warren bc she was a Republican in the 90s. No? Just Bernie bros?

PostPosted: June 7 19, 4:25 pm 
Replies Authoritatively

greenback44 wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:

If the money holds out, then another six months of clips like the above will make those kinds of generic anti-intellectual stereotypes look silly.

Warren has a narrative that makes here intentions clear and imminently relatable. She sounds natural, which means I think they'll have to attack her as a godless communist. The people who cared about that [expletive] are mostly dead though.

Anti-intellectualism is super hot right now.

PostPosted: June 7 19, 4:28 pm 
Replies Authoritatively

lukethedrifter wrote:
I thought we were attacking Warren bc she was a Republican in the 90s. No? Just Bernie bros?

I was a Republican in the 90s too. I'm 25 years older now. I wish I hadn't been a Republican in the 90s. I wish a lot of things. I wish I'd traveled more when I was younger. I wish I'd skipped college. I wish I was better at shooting while driving in Grand Theft Auto. All I can do is be what I am now, and if what I am now is something different than what I was 25 years ago when I was a 20 year old conservative white guy from a small town with a Methodist upbringing who listed to Rush Limbaugh and had a poster of Dan Quayle on his dorm room wall then I must be doing something ok.

PostPosted: June 7 19, 6:24 pm 
The Last Word

Elizabeth Warren is my #1 choice and I am fully in support of her, but I don't buy that particular argument. It's the same argument that the right uses to oppose gun laws. "Even if you outlaw guns, people will still get them, just illegally".

I don't buy it when the right says it, and I don't buy it when she says it.

Still, go EW!!

PostPosted: June 7 19, 6:54 pm 
Hall Of Famer

33anda3rd wrote:
greenback44 wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:

Anti-intellectualism is super hot right now.

It's always been hot. I remember 25 years ago trying to get my students to use email to contact me. They thought computers were these oddball contraptions used only by nerds. Now the same class of people can't go ten minutes without checking Facebook on their thousand-dollar iPhone.Bagging on big city hucksters with no sense of morality has always been hot. Look who was elected President 2.5 years ago.

Warren will have a [expletive] load of TV time over the next six months. CNN doesn't have anything else to show, as apparently the Donald Trump circus is losing its appeal (aka its shock value). Warren is smart and ambitious, but she has a compelling story to tell on a personal level. When she starts going all Operation Wall Street, nobody is going to be complaining about Warren's over-stuffed resume or some imagined tendency to over-complicate issues with arcane theories.

PostPosted: June 7 19, 7:08 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

Socnorb11 wrote:
Elizabeth Warren is my #1 choice and I am fully in support of her, but I don't buy that particular argument. It's the same argument that the right uses to oppose gun laws. "Even if you outlaw guns, people will still get them, just illegally".

I don't buy it when the right says it, and I don't buy it when she says it.

Still, go EW!!

Obviously you’re entitled to your own facts but Warren is right and you are wrong.

PostPosted: June 8 19, 6:51 am 
Replies Authoritatively

greenback44 wrote:

I think Warren's biggest problem is that she is kinda perceived as a Hillary clone. She isn't though. The Pocahontas shtick is going to get old really quick, and there's not an obvious angle after that vein is played out.

The little bit of emotion there where her voice shakes as she's speaking about protecting the weakest women is a register Hillary Clinton was never able to hit. "Hillary clone" would be an unfortunate, lazy, wrong label.

Last edited by 33anda3rd on June 9 19, 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 8 19, 8:16 am 
Veteran Player

Yeah, I'm all in on her too. I really hope she can do it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next