GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 16 19, 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: August 20 19, 11:25 am 
Perennial All-Star

http://www.startribune.com/elizabeth-wa ... nAN2c1gihU

My friend can look remarkably like Elizabeth Warren. She met her at a rally last night.

We actually had her family over for dinner on Sunday, so we knew she was planning to go dressed up as Warren. She didn't expect the reaction at the rally.

PostPosted: August 20 19, 11:39 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Gashouse wrote:
http://www.startribune.com/elizabeth-warren-meets-her-lookalike-at-minnesota-rally/556478171/?fbclid=IwAR3FMCAjGN0sE1WDshPsdgHlSwIGeAoBz0XPG8P9bJCKL7q4rnAN2c1gihU

My friend can look remarkably like Elizabeth Warren. She met her at a rally last night.

We actually had her family over for dinner on Sunday, so we knew she was planning to go dressed up as Warren. She didn't expect the reaction at the rally.

How in the hell have I reached my free view limit of Star Tribune? I only looked at their Bud Grant archives 3 times this month!

PostPosted: August 20 19, 11:51 am 
gone fission

Gashouse wrote:
http://www.startribune.com/elizabeth-warren-meets-her-lookalike-at-minnesota-rally/556478171/?fbclid=IwAR3FMCAjGN0sE1WDshPsdgHlSwIGeAoBz0XPG8P9bJCKL7q4rnAN2c1gihU

Ha! I actually saw her when she was getting her selfie, and everyone around us was like, "Whoa, Elizabeth Warren has a twin!" The wife and I went last night to the rally, it was fantastic. I know 33 had posted earlier about hearing her live, but I'll echo his comments. She was genuine. The natural inflection in her voice when she was telling her story of growing up in poverty, or the pride and happiness she felt when she was able to live her dream of being a public teacher and the sorrow and anger she felt at having it ripped from her just because she was pregnant... It was honest and genuine and not just lip service to her fans. Something I feel like I haven't really heard from a politician in a while. A legit 12,000 people showed up to a tiny campus' front lawn to hear her speak.

We waited perhaps 90 minutes for a selfie, but there were a few thousand people total looking for photos I would imagine. The line was only about 1/3 through when we finally got ours taken. I'd guess if everyone stayed for their photo the total wait time would be 3-4 hours (which Elizabeth promised she would stay for hours and hours until every person got a selfie that wanted one, a promise which she has kept throughout all of her town halls).

PostPosted: August 27 19, 6:57 am 
Replies Authoritatively

Con. Big time con.

PostPosted: August 27 19, 7:00 am 
99% conan clips

for liking ballers or promoting a show?

PostPosted: August 27 19, 7:08 am 
Replies Authoritatively

Jocephus wrote:
for liking ballers or promoting a show?

Flirt-tweeting The Rock, obv. Come on, Liz, you're a married gal.

PostPosted: August 27 19, 7:36 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

tbh I wasn't comfortable with her M Brown was murdered 5 yrs ago tweet. I like Warren, but wondering about what seems to be her approach to being popular with black people.

PostPosted: August 27 19, 9:46 am 
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

I'll admit that I need to pay more attention at this point -- getting late to use time as an excuse not to pay attention -- but I do think that Warren is the kind of person that disenfranchised conservatives/moderates can vote for. While I haven't really gotten too deep into her policies, etc. yet, I follow her on Twitter and I personally really like her. Likability, poise, stability, reasonableness, smarts... those aren't turn offs for undecideds and swing voters. She won't steal from committed conservatives, but she really only has to pick up some of those votes that Hillary couldn't to unseat Trump.

Yeah, yeah, yeah... I know, I know. Right-leaning moderates are going to find an excuse to vote conservative. It was the Supreme Court, abortion, etc. in '16 and there will be some kind of "hold your nose and vote for Trump" talking points this time around, but if the economy heads south (which it is), those talking points won't outweigh "I'm worse off than I was" among those same moderate districts in Ohio/Penns/Wis etc. that got Trump in the White House in the first place.

PostPosted: September 5 19, 3:24 pm 
Replies Authoritatively

Here's a great example of a big divide between Sanders and Warren and why it's a plus for Warren. I know someone is going to disagree with this categorization, but the guy asking the question (and the Tweeter) is a Sanders supporter asking what he thinks to be is a trap question for Warren.

The town hall guy wants Warren to "call out capitalism" and make utilities public. He wants a policy that is punitive--take public utilities away--much like many Sanders policies are punitive, which was on display in the CNN Climate Crisis Town Hall during Sanders' time last night. For example, Sanders wants massive penalties for carbon use to spend $17 trillion eliminating carbon use and creating jobs, with some gray-area math on how you get $17 trillion in carbon taxes if you eliminate carbon. Punitive: tax the polluters, take away their businesses, etc. The Tweeter wants punitive measures too: fine them until you bankrupt them. Prosecute them...but prosecute them for what? Running oil companies isn't a crime. This idea that They Have To Pay even if it's not breaking the law is kinda screwed up.

Warren not only refuses to answer this Bill Simmons Podcast-style yes/no question in which it's framed so you either say "yes" or look bad for disagreeing, she says no and looks great while doing it. She, to use a term from the alt-right, owns the lib. Says we don't need to make utilities public, we need to end carbon use. Says making utilities public is in fact not the solution, and not because she doesn't take on corporations which she has a long record of doing, she says it's because she'll regulate--sorry guys, no more carbon, figure out a new way like the auto manufacturers did when people couldn't breathe in CA and you had to innovate to make cars cleaner--and if someone makes a profit making the world greener with better solar panels or better batteries, that's ok as long as you're not hurting other people.

That guy on TV and Warren's response is what is making Warren the more popular candidate of the left with every passing day. That division, where she's still capitalist just with the caveat that all-ecompassing regulation is needed, and that she's not a punitive scalp-seeker. That guy, asking if we should take corporations businesses away as if it's a given that we should? That guy scares the sh!t out of moderate suburbanites, farmers killed by tariffs considering their first blue vote, and a host of other people who will help decide this election. A young educated professional with dreams of entrepreneurship hears that question and, and then hears Warren say "...and if you make a better solar panel and get rich, fine, as long as you don't hurt anybody" has a very easy decision.

PostPosted: September 5 19, 4:13 pm 
Replies Authoritatively

Also one of the knocks on Warren has been support from black voters. I believe like all voters, as they learn more about her they will support her more. The new YouGov poll shows, with black voters, for Warren:

Very favorable: 29
Somewhat favorable: 29
Somewhat unfavorable: 4
Very unfavorable: 5
Don't know: 32 (Nationally only 21% of all voters don't know enough re Warren.)

One month ago: 25/27/8/5/36
Two months ago: 25/25/10/7/33
Her favorables are going up. Her somewhat unfavorable keeps going down. Her very unfavorable has gone down.

For some comparison
Biden 39/25/5/10/22
Sanders 29/29/9/8/25

Her Somewhat + Very Unfavorable is far less than the other two. Almost half. As black voters get to know her more, they show for her in better numbers.

From the same poll, black voters are considering voting for:
Biden 65%
Warren 46%
Sanders 34%
Harris 29%
Booker 20%
Castro 12%
Buttigieg 10%

So in at least this poll she's not necessarily struggling with black voters. Quite the opposite.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next