GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently May 26 19, 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Joe Biden - Pros & Cons
PostPosted: April 25 19, 2:38 pm 
bronoun enthusiast

Me starting this thread is a bit disingenuous. I'm only doing it because I want to show you how ready Jacobin was for his announcement.

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: April 25 19, 9:22 pm 
Hall Of Famer

This has the list of pros covered pretty well:

In four words, he's not Donald Trump.

PostPosted: April 26 19, 6:05 am 
Replies Authoritatively

greenback44 wrote:

That's demonstrably false, that the only Biden Pro is "not Trump." It's the kind of statement like in 2016 that declared both candidates equally bad.

2016's autopsy on the Clinton campaign was largely focused on "Didn't connect with white blue collar workers." Biden does that. So that's a Pro. I'm not saying that to champion Biden, he's not my candidate, I'm saying that to defend rationality in this campaign and to ask again that we don't support fellow libs in tearing down now the guy who likely could be running v Trump in 19 months.

PostPosted: April 26 19, 6:27 am 
Hall Of Famer

Yes, it's an exaggeration. But Biden hasn't won an election in over ten years. The world has changed since then. On top of that he did make forays into presidential campaigns, and mysteriously his connection evaporated. The fact that he supported some racist policies in the past, is not a positive, even if that might get him some white trash votes.

As for the whiny line about everybody needing to along, I remember hearing the same damn thing in 2008. I'm skeptical of the significance of being mean to one another in the primary season. As it is, you might as well complain about the sun being hot, because Biden's corporate approach already has Sanders and Warren foaming.

PostPosted: April 26 19, 6:28 am 
Perennial All-Star

Pros: Able to effectively portray himself as authentic, will do well with minority voters, will attract the nearly extinct moderate vote, currently a front runner even before announcing, will do well in rust belt. Does well in debates.

Cons: Old, odd response with history of being too handsy with women, has a long history of trying to reflect the public's views on social issues that have thankfully evolved in 40+ years. Will have to answer for moderate past. Will he attract Bernie voters.

PostPosted: April 26 19, 7:19 am 
Hall Of Famer

33anda3rd wrote:
greenback44 wrote:

That's demonstrably false, that the only Biden Pro is "not Trump." It's the kind of statement like in 2016 that declared both candidates equally bad.

2016's autopsy on the Clinton campaign was largely focused on "Didn't connect with white blue collar workers." Biden does that. So that's a Pro. I'm not saying that to champion Biden, he's not my candidate, I'm saying that to defend rationality in this campaign and to ask again that we don't support fellow libs in tearing down now the guy who likely could be running v Trump in 19 months.

I have yet to see Biden torn down. He's being asked to account for his past, which happens in every primary. Greenback alluded to it, but 2008 was more heated than 2016. At least while it was going on. Whoever goes against Trump ought to be able to show they can deal with criticism, and Biden has a long record and lot to criticize. It's fine.

PostPosted: April 26 19, 8:21 am 
Hall Of Famer

PostPosted: April 26 19, 8:26 am 
99% conan clips

ghostrunner wrote:

he's right

PostPosted: April 26 19, 9:44 am 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Pros: Everybody likes him. He passes the candidate you'd like to have a beer test with with flying colors. Let's be honest, the Presidential race is little more than a big personality contest. In our celebrity-obsessed culture people vote for the most charismatic candidate:

Trump
Obama
Bush
Clinton

Cons: 40 years of bad center-right votes and policy. Woke Twitter will despise him, and that will in turn set the terms for how cable tv and the internet talk about him. Can he charm his way through all the criticism?

PostPosted: April 26 19, 10:56 am 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

I think he'll flip more Trump voters than anyone else. And rust belt states as UK said. Certainly PA.

Would prefer a generational change (in both age and platform) but the odds are good #DelusionalDonald is gone if Joe is the party's choice.