GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently August 22 19, 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: April 30 19, 10:01 am 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

So for those of us no longer in the StL metro area, have the city and county merged or something?

PostPosted: April 30 19, 10:10 am 
Perennial All-Star

Not yet but the proposal is gaining some traction. It's going to go to a statewide vote soon I think.

As you can imagine, there is a lot of confusion and misinformation flying around about it all. I lean towards the side of merging, but I've heard some valid concerns as well.

PostPosted: April 30 19, 10:11 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

G. Keenan wrote:
So for those of us no longer in the StL metro area, have the city and county merged or something?

Not yet. 2020 state wide ballot will determine (the city county divorce was state initiative way the f back in time, so I guess the re-marriage has to be too ).

Pluses and minuses to this concept.Stenger as the would be mayor of it all would have been one of the minuses. Our own Koch Broski-esque gazillionaire Rex Sinquefield is financing the effort and buying the right people.

Mainly it's an attempted power grab by him and right wingers.

PostPosted: April 30 19, 10:23 am 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Freed Roger wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:

Not yet. 2020 state wide ballot will determine (the city county divorce was state initiative way the f back in time, so I guess the re-marriage has to be too ).

Pluses and minuses to this concept.Stenger as the would be mayor of it all would have been one of the minuses. Our own Koch Broski-esque gazillionaire Rex Sinquefield is financing the effort and buying the right people.

So do those guys feel like they can dilute the liberally inclined political power of the city by merging it into the county? How is support for this among city residents?

PostPosted: April 30 19, 10:34 am 

G. Keenan wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:

So do those guys feel like they can dilute the liberally inclined political power of the city by merging it into the county? How is support for this among city residents?

Schlich and Drifter more knowledgeable. It is a complicated thing, considering there are about 100 county munis, and numerous other govt type operations (police. Fire schools courts etc) clearly some.of this duplication and laughable municipal govt need to go away, but from what I see the inefficiencies remain, but the overriding rule is consolidated. I sense that people in City that are engaged politically are progressive and are not fans... but the local NAACP endorses it (they were bought)

...but a statewide election (November 2020, the big one, right?) means the complications and details with the merger do not need addressed to sell it

PostPosted: April 30 19, 10:58 am 

On tangent, when politics and govt are boiled down locally, it is interesting how much much more progressive voters tend to be.

In my burb I have to laugh at my more conservative-minded friends who continue to trumpet the cause by raising taxes to solve school funding, and flooding issues and what not. Hey, I am voting with them, but thinking isn't there a way to stick some of this cost to the RE developers for once. Including the mayor , a decent guy who proclaimed to be libertarian Gary Johnson fan to me....all our big box retail ...just raise sales taxes and viola!..

Same thing goes with numerous state issues voting to raise taxes consistently (regressively) for state park funding and zoos. and we voted in medical marijuana and voted against conceal carry statewide (hardly any one but me remembers) Then the issues get dumbed down for larger state and federal elections and here we are.

That said, de-localization of politics is the goal with Stenger and Together We're Better. One sentiment to control is easier to rule over for rich people than the hedge podge stuff that addresses people personally.

PostPosted: August 10 19, 10:26 am 

46 months for Stenger. Dang that is somethin. Didnt take long to get him in jail. 4 months since he resigned.