GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently August 25 19, 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bernie
PostPosted: May 8 19, 3:25 pm 
bronoun enthusiast

G. Keenan wrote:
I like Elizabeth Warren a lot too, though. If tomorrow I had to pick one to vote for it would be a very tough call for me.

I'm going with whoever of those two has the best shot at winning my primary.

PostPosted: May 8 19, 4:31 pm 
Don't tone police me bro!

thrill wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:
I like Elizabeth Warren a lot too, though. If tomorrow I had to pick one to vote for it would be a very tough call for me.

I'm going with whoever of those two has the best shot at winning my primary.

Despite how much I Stan for bernie and how much flak I'm getting on FB for advocating for him over Warren... Same

PostPosted: May 24 19, 6:06 am 
Replies Authoritatively

Stuff like this is why I'm increasingly wary of Sanders.

Sanders says: "A starting salary for all teachers should be at least $60,000."

Ok, so as a sound bite, cool. But a teacher in, say, Farmington IL or Eau Claire WI making $60K would mean that teacher is making a lot of money for that town. How do the small business owners, bank employees, mail carriers, WalMart cashiers, etc. in those communities afford the dramatic increase in local taxes required to pay those teachers $60K/year? Truth is, a teacher in a small town like that making $45K is probably doing great, while a teacher making $75K in New York City would be making a lot of sacrifices and taking a long commute every day just to get to her underpaying job. "A starting salary for all teachers should be at least $60,000" strikes me as a lot of hot air.

PostPosted: May 24 19, 7:17 pm 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.
The kid is early in her teaching career in Boston and makes around $60K. Lives with 2 other teachers to make ends meet.

Like you said, depends where you live.

PostPosted: May 25 19, 6:38 am 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

33anda3rd wrote:
Stuff like this is why I'm increasingly wary of Sanders.

Sanders says: "A starting salary for all teachers should be at least $60,000."

Ok, so as a sound bite, cool. But a teacher in, say, Farmington IL or Eau Claire WI making $60K would mean that teacher is making a lot of money for that town. How do the small business owners, bank employees, mail carriers, WalMart cashiers, etc. in those communities afford the dramatic increase in local taxes required to pay those teachers $60K/year? Truth is, a teacher in a small town like that making $45K is probably doing great, while a teacher making $75K in New York City would be making a lot of sacrifices and taking a long commute every day just to get to her underpaying job. "A starting salary for all teachers should be at least $60,000" strikes me as a lot of hot air.

45k would be nice for teachers here. The problem is they only make about 30k.

PostPosted: May 25 19, 8:22 am 
Replies Authoritatively

Radbird wrote:
The kid is early in her teaching career in Boston and makes around $60K. Lives with 2 other teachers to make ends meet.

Like you said, depends where you live.

My niece is the same. Makes $57K teaching in suburbia, is 25 and single and wants to live in the city, so she bears the commute and lives with two other women in the same boat. The closest cost of living calculator city on NerdWallet to my hometown is Peoria, which is probably 15% more expensive than my hometown, but anyway $60K in Peoria = $76.5K in Chicago = $95.2K in Boston = $121.1K in SF = $152.2K in Manhattan per that site. "All teachers start at $60K" just comes across as out of touch. In towns smaller than Peoria people will live high on the hog, and in towns bigger than Peoria they will struggle. I feel the same about pols who stump for a $15 minimum wage. We're way beyond that now that minimum wage jobs are not HS kids working after school jobs, they're jobs staffed by adults with bills and families in a lot of cases. Work for $15/hr for 40hrs/week and never take a day off, you'll earn a tad over $31K. If you lived in Boston you'd need 2.5 of those jobs to hit median income.

Another angle on this attitude I'm developing toward Sanders: he's been running as the green/progressive/DSA choice for President for about 4 years now. Why hasn't he given us something as detailed and thoughtful as AOC's Green New Deal, which she accomplished in like 2 months on the job? Why does he exist in soundbites of "The rich don't need this much" and "Healthcare for all" and not in policy as a guy who's been in government a long time? His are ideas that we are all behind, that's why we fell for Bernie, but he's never put any policy behind them. That's why I'm fully on board with Warren at this point.

PostPosted: May 25 19, 9:21 am 
Hall Of Famer

Teachers here on the Illinois side start at $46K and on the Iowa side at $37K. I think it narrows over time as they get raises, but it's a big difference and in the same metro area.

PostPosted: May 28 19, 12:24 pm 
bronoun enthusiast

33anda3rd wrote:
Another angle on this attitude I'm developing toward Sanders: he's been running as the green/progressive/DSA choice for President for about 4 years now. Why hasn't he given us something as detailed and thoughtful as AOC's Green New Deal, which she accomplished in like 2 months on the job? Why does he exist in soundbites of "The rich don't need this much" and "Healthcare for all" and not in policy as a guy who's been in government a long time? His are ideas that we are all behind, that's why we fell for Bernie, but he's never put any policy behind them. That's why I'm fully on board with Warren at this point.

Couple things.
1) What's this we stuff? We fell for Bernie?
2) Bernie has plenty of policy proposals on his record and but to your point, he's been essential in getting progressives like AOC elected and has been very actively campaigning. I'm sure this isn't news to you regardless of the false premise you're using to criticize Bernie here, but AOC, Elizabeth Warren, etc, they all have policy teams. AOC didn't draft the GND herself. She's the face of it, but that was the Sunrise Movement. You know think tanks and policy wonks exist. Why are you acting like they don't when it's convenient to criticize Bernie? Because you don't like him. Which is fine, but I'm still going to call [expletive] on your [expletive].

PostPosted: May 28 19, 1:48 pm 
Master of Hyperbole

Funny what people get hung up with Sanders on.

Trump is literally putting children in prison but we're splitting hairs on wage issues. Which are rooted in the problematic system anyways... And yes I know it comes down to him vs. Warren for this debate. It's just funny.

Bernie is at least ATTEMPTING equal wages. Does anyone else do that in an honest way?

Warren would lose against Trump. He'll just do "Pocahontas" on a loop over and over 3 weeks before the election on all TV and internet ads and win by a long shot.

Carry on.

PostPosted: May 28 19, 2:56 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
Funny what people get hung up with Sanders on.

Trump is literally putting children in prison but we're splitting hairs on wage issues. Which are rooted in the problematic system anyways... And yes I know it comes down to him vs. Warren for this debate. It's just funny.

Bernie is at least ATTEMPTING equal wages. Does anyone else do that in an honest way?

Warren would lose against Trump. He'll just do "Pocahontas" on a loop over and over 3 weeks before the election on all TV and internet ads and win by a long shot.

Carry on.

You’re not going to dismiss Warren that easily. She’s going to prove herself an excellent candidate.

I’ll take either one of Sanders/Warren.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next