GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently August 19 19, 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Georgia abortion law
PostPosted: May 9 19, 6:18 am 
Hall Of Famer

Some friends on Facebook were sharing memes that claim the new Georgia law says women could be arrested if they go out of state to get an abortion....or if they miscarry (and they can somehow prove the miscarriage was the mom's fault). This seemed outlandish so I had to look it up. Evidently this is correct:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... rison.html
Quote:
HB 481 would also have consequences for women who get abortions from doctors or miscarry. A woman who seeks out an illegal abortion from a health care provider would be a party to murder, subject to life in prison. And a woman who miscarries because of her own conduct—say, using drugs while pregnant—would be liable for second-degree murder, punishable by 10 to 30 years’ imprisonment. Prosecutors may interrogate women who miscarry to determine whether they can be held responsible; if they find evidence of culpability, they may charge, detain, and try these women for the death of their fetuses.

One of the arguments against the bill in that article is that it makes fetuses "citizens", and one guy points out then that imprisoning pregnant women means they are also imprisoning a second "citizen" that did nothing wrong. So we evidently have thousands of pregnant women in jail already, a sign of a truly great country. It's another clear illustration that even people supposedly left of center consider prison a punishment and not a rehabilitation, at all.

Post subject: Re: Georgia abortion law
PostPosted: May 9 19, 6:20 am 
Hall Of Famer

Small government is so awesome

Quote:
Even women who seek lawful abortions out of state may not escape punishment. If a Georgia resident plans to travel elsewhere to obtain an abortion, she may be charged with conspiracy to commit murder, punishable by 10 years’ imprisonment. An individual who helps a woman plan her trip to get an out-of-state abortion, or transports her to the clinic, may also be charged with conspiracy. These individuals, after all, are “conspiring” to end of the life of a “person” with “full legal recognition” under Georgia law.

PostPosted: May 9 19, 8:47 am 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

As I saw someone ask on Twitter . . . so if the fetus is a "person" and a citizen at 6 weeks, is the woman entitled to child support starting then? Can she insure the fetus and collect if she miscarries? If she is not a citizen can she not be deported because there is a citizen inside her?

Outrageous law that completely disregards medical reality of how a woman's body works. I imagine it is not constitutional.

PostPosted: May 9 19, 9:16 am 
All-Star

Slippery slopes are slippery

PostPosted: May 9 19, 10:01 am 
darjeeling sipping elite

Alabama

PostPosted: May 9 19, 10:07 am 
darjeeling sipping elite

Update:

The Alabama Senate had voted to pass the nation’s strictest abortion bill, but after a roll call on the vote and the gavel went down, a fight broke out and the state’s Senate reversed course, tabling the controversial vote.

PostPosted: May 9 19, 10:09 am 
Perennial All-Star

These new abortion laws are awful. Radical/Religious right is winning. It will be a generation or more before all of the crap they're implementing now can be undone. I weep for my kids as they have to navigate life through this hellscape.

PostPosted: May 9 19, 11:11 am 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.
G. Keenan wrote:
As I saw someone ask on Twitter . . . so if the fetus is a "person" and a citizen at 6 weeks, is the woman entitled to child support starting then? Can she insure the fetus and collect if she miscarries? If she is not a citizen can she not be deported because there is a citizen inside her?

Outrageous law that completely disregards medical reality of how a woman's body works. I imagine it is not constitutional.

It depends upon how "constitutional" is defined by Trump's SCOTUS.

PostPosted: May 9 19, 11:31 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

It defies comprehension.

PostPosted: May 9 19, 12:33 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Quote:
HB 481 would also have consequences for women who get abortions from doctors or miscarry. A woman who seeks out an illegal abortion from a health care provider would be a party to murder, subject to life in prison. And a woman who miscarries because of her own conduct—say, using drugs while pregnant—would be liable for second-degree murder, punishable by 10 to 30 years’ imprisonment. Prosecutors may interrogate women who miscarry to determine whether they can be held responsible; if they find evidence of culpability, they may charge, detain, and try these women for the death of their fetuses.

They will look into miscarriages!...And the statute of limitations on murder is..... just think of all the mothers and grandmothers out there that miscarried. Of their own conduct - well what the hell does that mean...where to draw the line? Potential murderers, every single one of them.

Ridiculous slippery slope example, I know- but you have to take the ramifications of this laws to their legal extreme, to weigh its feasibility,functionality, and sanity.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next