GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 24 19, 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: May 14 19, 4:36 pm 
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Since this board tilts heavily left, we’ll focus on just that end of the spectrum.

Reduce yourself to a single issue primary voter. “I will not vote for a candidate that supports/does not support X.” What is your X for the 2020 primary and why?

Medicare for all?
Green new deal?
Wealth tax?
Gun control?
Prison reform?

(Obviously looking at gray areas within the Democratic party. All of the candidates support larger left vs. right issues.)

PostPosted: May 14 19, 7:43 pm 
Replies Authoritatively

Inequality.

PostPosted: May 14 19, 8:05 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Good golly, I care about issues, but nothing matters to me other than leveraging the power of GOP.

PostPosted: May 14 19, 10:10 pm 
Don't tone police me bro!

For a while I've been saying M4A because it's such a no-brainer, both logistically and politically, that I have no choice but to distrust the motives of anyone opposing it or even supporting it with a "but..."

but i'll be damned if these climate reports havent been scaring the [expletive] out of me. We are out of time.

PostPosted: May 15 19, 6:03 am 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.
33anda3rd wrote:
Inequality.
Yep
Schlich wrote:
For a while I've been saying M4A because it's such a no-brainer, both logistically and politically, that I have no choice but to distrust the motives of anyone opposing it or even supporting it with a "but..."

but i'll be damned if these climate reports havent been scaring the [expletive] out of me. We are out of time.
Yep

Hard to have just one issue when the country/world is so [expletive] up.

PostPosted: May 15 19, 7:30 am 

33anda3rd wrote:
Inequality.

Care to elaborate? Racial? (Hopefully all of the dem candidates align on that one) Gender? (Ditto) Wealth?

What candidate stance on inequality would you say “no way” on?

PostPosted: May 15 19, 7:33 am 
Hall Of Famer

Schlich wrote:

This is mine in terms of standard party issues.

Though it's nearly a deal breaker for me if candidates aren't vocally at least considering process and electoral reforms - getting rid of the filibuster (Buttigieg, Warren, and Inslee so far, i think?), DC and PR statehood, gerrymandering, abolishing the electoral college (they can't control this, but supporting is important), adding at least 1 SCOTUS justice, etc....

Judicial appointments need to be a priority. Was listening to a depressing rundown yesterday of all the appointments Trump has made and apparently he's already responsible for 20% of sitting circuit judges in the US.

A recognition that in most cases Republicans have to be beaten and not negotiated with. Joe Biden thinking Republicans will have an epiphany once Trump is gone - that's no good. Booker and Beto both make too many statements in that direction for my taste.

PostPosted: May 15 19, 7:33 am 
Replies Authoritatively

Popeye_Card wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
Inequality.

Care to elaborate? Racial? (Hopefully all of the dem candidates align on that one) Gender? (Ditto) Wealth?

A world in which it's "Everything for white christian straight guys, everyone else is an outsider. Ladies, your bodies are regulated. Trans people, you are not permitted the dignity of a public restroom because we're too ignorant to know you're not out to rape our daughters, and that it's actually straight white guys who do that, but we're gonna ostracize you just because. Black guys, sorry but that cop that killed your cousin has been found innocent."

Us white straight christian-born guys have had a good run but it's time to cede some power, influence, wealth and government to make the world better for everyone.

PostPosted: May 15 19, 7:54 am 

33anda3rd wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
Inequality.

A world in which it's "Everything for white christian straight guys, everyone else is an outsider. Ladies, your bodies are regulated. Trans people, you are not permitted the dignity of a public restroom because we're too ignorant to know you're not out to rape our daughters, and that it's actually straight white guys who do that, but we're gonna ostracize you just because. Black guys, sorry but that cop that killed your cousin has been found innocent."

Us white straight christian-born guys have had a good run but it's time to cede some power, influence, wealth and government to make the world better for everyone.

Are there democratic candidates that aren’t in line with this thinking?

PostPosted: May 15 19, 8:06 am 

Since I started the thread, I’ll throw mine out there and it probably will not be popular here. I would have a very tough time supporting a candidate who subscribes to a “leave it in the ground” mantra on fossil fuels including natural gas. Do I believe we should be working hard on developing more emission-friendly alternatives as quickly as possible as part of a larger climate change strategy? Absolutely. But opposition to natural gas production, pipelines, etc. in the near-term is anti-productive. You create an energy gap in the near-term that is filled by other cheap but more damaging alternatives (coal, and even deforestation and burning wood in third world countries).

Basically to me, candidates need to have a real energy and climate change strategy and not just talking points. That includes dealing with cow farts.