GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently May 23 19, 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: May 15 19, 8:12 am 
Hall Of Famer

It's extremely hard to pick just one but I think I'd also just go with "balancing wealth inequality". Because that one cuts across many/most of the other issues. Medicare for All can fall under that banner, for example. The Green New Deal can also fall under that banner. Raising the minimum wage, raising taxes on the rich. Education reform. There are ways you could even include immigration reform under that banner.

PostPosted: May 15 19, 8:16 am 
99% conan clips

^ i would be in line with this

PostPosted: May 15 19, 8:31 am 
Perennial All-Star

^ I would be with this as well.

And what Schlich said about climate change.

PostPosted: May 15 19, 10:25 am 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

My single issue is universal healthcare. That one issue has so much potential to transform our society for the better. Start with the health benefits to individuals and communities of better primary care, better mental health care, better access to specialty care, etc. Think of the stress it removes from everyone's life to not worry about healthcare like we do. Imagine not having to organize your work life around getting/affording health insurance. Imagine how much more freedom and independence people would have knowing that their healthcare needs are covered as a collective project of society.

Beyond all that, a successful universal healthcare system could boost civic engagement. If our healthcare is a collective project we all buy into it gives everyone more skin the game, more reason to care about what govt. does and how it spends money. Should we start a war with Iran, or finance our own healthcare? Should we cut taxes for billionaires every few years, or finance healthcare? If it works, it will belie the Republican talking points that govt. is hopeless, govt. can never do anything right, govt. intervention in any aspect of the private sector is bad, etc. A shift in that paradigm can open up possibilities for collective thinking towards other big problems like climate, infrastructure, violence, etc.

It would not be a panacea, but by and large, the countries that have universal healthcare love their systems and would not trade them for ours in a million years. And while they have their divisions over many of the same issues we do, their societies are not still litigating the fundamental questions of government's role in society. It is simply expected that govt. should be providing its citizenry with certain basic protections. Here we cannot even get to that point because we're still arguing over who "deserves" what.

PostPosted: May 15 19, 10:46 am 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Health care. By the time we are old if we don't fix this system it won't matter how much money you socked away in your life. Some hospital will get it all.

PostPosted: May 15 19, 11:00 am 

IMADreamer wrote:
Health care. By the time we are old if we don't fix this system it won't matter how much money you socked away in your life. Some hospital will get it all.

This is very true. I've been trying to get my act together lately on retirement saving and investing, and one point that is continuously at the forefront of financial concerns is the near inevitability of massive medical bills later in life.

Think of all the money we can't spend on living life today because we each individually have to plan for huge bills to die with dignity.

PostPosted: May 15 19, 11:06 am 
All-Star

The model and goal of healthcare will soon face a massive paradigm shift. Age-related illnesses eventually kill us all but in the next couple hundred years, we will be able to genetically or mechanically stifle the effects of aging and mechanically prevent/remedy pathogens with nanobots. Who will fund this change? Will we really let some live forever and not grow old while others die?

What we are doing now isn’t working for anyone except insurance companies. So we need a massive reformation to bridge that gap. Truly surprised conservative constituents haven’t pushed on this harder. At some point technological progress demands government intervention to mediate it. Even I admit this.

Divert some of that nuclear bomb money.

PostPosted: May 15 19, 11:27 am 

MAGA wrote:
What we are doing now isn’t working for anyone except insurance companies.

Crazy, isn't it? And when you think about it, what is healthcare? What is medicine really, but the application of scientific knowledge to our bodies? And where is this knowledge mostly produced and who pays to produce it? It is mostly produced in universities and research institutions paid for by taxpayers. Even pharmaceuticals are mostly paid for through govt. subsidized research. So we are already spending all this money to advance health science as taxpayers, but then we let the insurance industry come along and profit from it at all levels of service delivery by doing nothing but rationing access to the fruits of this science. It's stupid.

There clearly is a desire among conservative voters for reforming this system. Why else would Trump constantly be lying to them about the amazing health care plan he is about to reveal any day now, while his admin does everything possible to undermine the protections we currently have?

I think it's really an ideological thing. Once upon a time, Republicans believed that govt. had a role to play in big national projects for the collective good, but not any more. To concede that govt. should get involved in healthcare payments would be to concede their ideological position that govt. intervention in markets is always bad. Of course, in reality they support all manner of govt. intervention in private markets, but only as it favors preserving the profits of key industries that finance the GOP.

PostPosted: May 15 19, 12:02 pm 
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

I'm going to have to take a deeper look soon. I've been avoiding it all for my own sanity until we actually get closer to primary season and the candidate list starts to narrow. I really want to put environmental issues up at the top. Even as a relatively conservative voter who has essentially been pushed over to the Dems by Republican radicalism/fundamentalism, that issue has always been a hot-button for me. I would also put wealth inequality up there as several mentioned, but I kind of think that's too broad of an answer.

So, I'll go with Medicare for all. I think with one swoop you can fix a lot of issues. Probably cause a few as well, as it could topple a gigantic industry overnight, but a generation of Americans are going to have to suffer a while to fix this iceberg-destroyed Titanic we're floating around on. Might as well be mine so our kids can have a better go at it than they currently have (or than our parents left for us).

Last edited by Fat Strat on May 15 19, 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 15 19, 12:07 pm 
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

G. Keenan wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:

This is very true. I've been trying to get my act together lately on retirement saving and investing, and one point that is continuously at the forefront of financial concerns is the near inevitability of massive medical bills later in life.

Think of all the money we can't spend on living life today because we each individually have to plan for huge bills to die with dignity.

Except, being around this kind of thing all the time, in the end most people don't get to die with dignity. They get put somewhere they don't want to go by family members who don't want to put them there. Then they live with loneliness, constant pain, loss, and perpetual grief as they lose friends, make new friends that they then lose, and have their entire lives taken away from them and sold off. Even the nicest assisted living facilities and nursing homes are places of perpetual suffering.

This is a conversation for another thread and largely a philosophical one, but our medical quest to prolong life as long as possible is not prolonging life. It is creating non-life through the avoidance of death. No solutions offered here; just my observations dealing many families in this situation.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next