GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently August 25 19, 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: May 15 19, 5:14 pm 
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Arthur Dent wrote:
If single issue is taken to mean something that could break me from my general ideological inclinations, it has to be climate change. If Inslee's campaign about committing to climate action as the single top priority was a real possible outcome and not a gimmick, it'd be hard to argue against. If it means what to use as an ideological litmus test, it's Medicare for All.

Well, it is meant to be if a candidate is for/against an issue, you could not vote for them. Example, for many conservatives they couldn’t vote for a candidate that is pro-choice.

Though you could take it to mean that if a candidate doesn’t have a clear plan to address X, you would not vote for them. So when I am hearing people say climate change, health care, or wealth inequality I am taking that to mean if the candidate doesn’t have a good framework of a plan to address, they won’t vite for them. Almost all of the dem candidates play at least lip service to these issues.

PostPosted: May 15 19, 6:04 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

Refusing to bow down to Republicans is my single issue. Because they are wrong on almost everything.

PostPosted: May 15 19, 10:17 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Wow, hard to believe but I guess it's pro-choice for me if I have to choose. Never thought it would be single issue for me. But now it is emblematic of the marriage of GOP to wealthy christo-fascist asswipery.

PostPosted: May 16 19, 7:43 am 
Hall Of Famer

Arthur Dent wrote:
Michael wrote:
Illinois is so late in the primary cycle being a single issue voter isn't really a luxury I have. That's one reason I haven't been really followed the candidates thus far.

After years of irrelevant primary votes, I was a Super Tuesday voter in 2016, and I still recall thinking the election was already pretty much decided after Bernie's dismal showing in South Carolina. Perhaps that was overly pessimistic, but it's amazing how few states end up getting an actual choice.

This is a problem. I'm not sure of a better way to do it. Have all the states go at once I guess? Or have big states like CA and NY go first? Either of those seems like it would give even more of an advantage to people with a lot of money and name recognition, and they already have a pretty big advantage under the current setup. However, I am all in favor of taking away this early caucus from Iowa. Iowa should not be trusted to pick the candidate. It also floods our small state with money and creates an extremely weird and bad political environment within both state parties here.

PostPosted: May 16 19, 8:58 am 
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

The current primary schedule is an issue, but I have no idea how to fix that. Maybe change up the order of the states each time?

PostPosted: May 16 19, 10:07 am 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Popeye_Card wrote:
The current primary schedule is an issue, but I have no idea how to fix that. Maybe change up the order of the states each time?

That would be great. Like the draft. This year's first primary goes to . . . Arkansas!

PostPosted: May 16 19, 10:32 am 
Replies Authoritatively

lukethedrifter wrote:
Refusing to bow down to Republicans is my single issue. Because they are wrong on almost everything.

I was reading through this thread and I thought, you know, I'm nodding along to all of these, and it's really impossible to argue with anything in this thread other than, unsurprisingly....

MAGA wrote:
What we are doing now isn’t working for anyone except insurance companies. So we need a massive reformation to bridge that gap. Truly surprised conservative constituents haven’t pushed on this harder.

Gun regulation, healthcare reform, abortion issues in these garbage southern states, the environment, wealth inequality, racial inequality, the rise of white nationalism, they're all in a state of literal national emergency (unlike our border), and they're all emergencies whose root cause can be summed up fairly easily: Republicans. Get rid of the Republicans, get rid of the white male christian patriarchy and everything else solves itself.

PostPosted: May 16 19, 10:37 am 
Replies Authoritatively

G. Keenan wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:

That would be great. Like the draft. This year's first primary goes to . . . Arkansas!

Imagine the tanking to get the #1 spot.

Georgia passes a law giving stiffer penalties to doctors who provide abortions in the case of rape than they give to rapists, they now have 36.2% odds to win the #1 pick. But wait! Arkansas' governor is now signing a bill making it legal for citizens to shoot anyone suspected of homosexuality, Arkansas now is in the driver's seat and has the highest odds of getting the opportunity to draft Eliminating Science In All Public Schools!

PostPosted: May 17 19, 9:50 pm 
Perennial All-Star

Climate change. If we don’t have a livable planet, the rest doesn’t matter. So why am I not supporting my governor, Jay Inslee? I think Amy Klobuchar is a better overall candidate. Would Inslee think it’s a step down to be EPA administrator in a Klobuchar administration? I would love to see that.

PostPosted: May 19 19, 9:49 am 
has a link from 538 to share

pioneer98 wrote:
This is a problem. I'm not sure of a better way to do it. Have all the states go at once I guess? Or have big states like CA and NY go first? Either of those seems like it would give even more of an advantage to people with a lot of money and name recognition, and they already have a pretty big advantage under the current setup. However, I am all in favor of taking away this early caucus from Iowa. Iowa should not be trusted to pick the candidate. It also floods our small state with money and creates an extremely weird and bad political environment within both state parties here.

I say it should go big bang. I think everyone voting at once fixes more issues than it causes. In the age of the internet candidates can get their word out there. I'm tried of my votes not meaning anything while all these other states are fawned over and given more political favors.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next