GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently June 26 19, 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: May 19 19, 2:15 pm 
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Michael wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:
This is a problem. I'm not sure of a better way to do it. Have all the states go at once I guess? Or have big states like CA and NY go first? Either of those seems like it would give even more of an advantage to people with a lot of money and name recognition, and they already have a pretty big advantage under the current setup. However, I am all in favor of taking away this early caucus from Iowa. Iowa should not be trusted to pick the candidate. It also floods our small state with money and creates an extremely weird and bad political environment within both state parties here.

I say it should go big bang. I think everyone voting at once fixes more issues than it causes. In the age of the internet candidates can get their word out there. I'm tried of my votes not meaning anything while all these other states are fawned over and given more political favors.

I’d be OK with this if there was a way to weed out candidates before the big bang date. For instance if we went into the big bang with the clusterfudge going on right now, Biden is likely the nominee.

PostPosted: May 20 19, 7:15 am 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.
This will be my first presidential election living in NH. The coverage is already ramping up. It has always seemed odd to me that Iowa & NH had such importance attached to them. Living here has reinforced that. It's not a diverse state by any stretch of anyone's imagination (same could be said of Iowa). But somehow they are bellweathers of a candidate's viability.

PostPosted: May 20 19, 8:08 am 
Replies Authoritatively

Popeye_Card wrote:
Michael wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:
This is a problem. I'm not sure of a better way to do it. Have all the states go at once I guess? Or have big states like CA and NY go first? Either of those seems like it would give even more of an advantage to people with a lot of money and name recognition, and they already have a pretty big advantage under the current setup. However, I am all in favor of taking away this early caucus from Iowa. Iowa should not be trusted to pick the candidate. It also floods our small state with money and creates an extremely weird and bad political environment within both state parties here.

I say it should go big bang. I think everyone voting at once fixes more issues than it causes. In the age of the internet candidates can get their word out there. I'm tried of my votes not meaning anything while all these other states are fawned over and given more political favors.

I’d be OK with this if there was a way to weed out candidates before the big bang date. For instance if we went into the big bang with the clusterfudge going on right now, Biden is likely the nominee.

An easy solution is run-offs. We have a national primary in January, everyone votes. If you get 50% or more of the vote in a state, you win that state. If no one gets 50%+, there is a runoff in February with the top 2 candidates going against each other. Any candidate getting under 5% of the vote in a state may receive no delegates from that state, delegates are only for viable candidates. If you get over 20% of the vote nationally, you remain on all ballots in all states that were not decided by the first vote--ie if you're Sanders and at 21% nationally, but you only got 4% in FL, you stay on the ballot in FL. The winner of the second vote, regardless of the final %, wins the state.

PostPosted: May 20 19, 9:47 am 
Perennial All-Star

Avoid the need for run-offs and have ranked choice voting.

PostPosted: May 20 19, 9:49 am 
Hall Of Famer

GeddyWrox wrote:

This please!

edit: Had to look up what's going on in Maine since the last I knew the RCV there was under seige. Looks like its still there and, in fact there are efforts to expand it to Presidential, gubenatorial, and legislative races. Awesome.

PostPosted: May 20 19, 11:53 am 
Replies Authoritatively

GeddyWrox wrote:

This works, with one caveat. You know how people in the UK were like "I voted Yes on Brexit" and then were like "Wait you mean we are leaving the EU?" Or how people voted for Stein/Nader b/c they thought HRC/Gore would win and then they could pound their chest and go "don't blame me I voted Green" as soon as HRC/Gore did something wrong and then Trump/W won in part because of those Green votes? Or how people in the suburbs with educations and who are not racist morons voted Trump because there was an (R) next to his name and then they were like "oh, he's....exactly what we should have known he was during the campaign" and quickly back-tracked in the Midterm?

People, when it comes to the vote, are [expletive] stupid. Adding a system they don't understand could make things a bit worse. I like the principle and the idea of ranked choice, I'm just afraid of what would happen with it when dropped into a country that's like 35% ignorants/ignorance. Do people go to the polls and go
1. Biden
2. blank
3. blank
4. blank
etc. so that it's just a binary vote? Does this happen a lot? Do people who want Sanders to win go:
1. Sanders
2. Some guy with no shot
3. Some lady with no shot
4. Some lady with no shot
5. Some guy with not shot
or are people actually smart enough to go 1. Sanders, 2. Warren to make sure Warren, ideologically close to Sanders and a much better chance of winning suburban women and secular southern voters, gets support?

I just don't trust American voters after 2016 to have nice things like ranked choice and third party candidates.

PostPosted: May 20 19, 2:26 pm 
Perennial All-Star

We tried Ranked Choice Voting one time in my county and the most notable result was that a total incompetent got elected county assessor. It was repealed immediately and we’ve never used it since. I kind of agree that you need an informed electorate to make it work. But I don’t think it’s a bad idea and if its backers are prepared to educate people how to use it and keep people behind it even if you get the occasional bad result, it might be a way to make elections better.

If I had to cast a RCV for president in the Washington State primary, I would probably do this:

1. Amy Klobuchar
2. Kamala Harris
3. Joe Biden

PostPosted: May 20 19, 2:48 pm 

We should hold a RCV primary at GRB on the first of each month, to trend who the leading candidates are according to our incredible cross-section of voters.

PostPosted: May 20 19, 2:56 pm 
Perennial All-Star

That's actually a pretty cool idea Popeye! I wouldn't know how to go about implementing something like that on here though.

PostPosted: May 20 19, 3:18 pm 

Just start a new thread on the 1st of each month, have everyone submit their top 3 (or 5?) choices, then someone tallies up the votes the next day to declare a winner.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next