GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently June 16 19, 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: May 21 19, 11:40 am 
Hall Of Famer

Nobody is reading your political opinion if it's 3 long paragraphs or more.

It's kind to edit down quote threads. If I can see 2 responses back, that's enough. Or at least spoiler some or all the quoted part.

Last edited by ghostrunner on May 21 19, 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 21 19, 11:44 am 
just can't quit you.

ghostrunner wrote:
Nobody is reading your political opinion if it's 3 long paragraph or more.

It's kind to edit down quote threads. If I can see 2 responses back, that's enough. Or at least spoiler some or all the quoted part.

Just delete anything I post, and it should be good.

PostPosted: May 21 19, 11:51 am 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Tone matters.

The Georgia thread was a perfectly good conversation until someone started dripping condescension all over it.

PostPosted: May 21 19, 11:53 am 
likes to grate his own cheese

Thanks! I agree.

Sorry about the quoting extravaganza!

PostPosted: May 22 19, 2:33 pm 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.
Locked the Georgia thread. There were no more original thoughts being expressed.

Ghost has a valid point about the down quoting and long posts. Geen has a valid point about tone. There are too many threads going down that rabbit hole. Modding isn't working. The only thing left is to lock it up.

My request is for everyone to find a way to express their viewpoints in a concise, thoughtful manner and respect differing positions. It's not a conversation worth having if only one point of view is acceptable.

PostPosted: May 22 19, 3:13 pm 
Replies Authoritatively

Truth matters.

If I don't pass off a personal belief as something that is universally true--but that is easy to prove as objectively false with a quick google search--no one can condescend by correcting me.

Edit to add:

I don't mean that sarcastically, condescendingly, anything like that. I mean that as a plea for objectivity and the truth. A lot of personal opinion in that thread was stated as if it's universally true, and that's just how we end up where we are as a society. Fake stuff on Facebook. Hillary = Trump, both just as bad. No collusion. We can't just pass off beliefs as truths when they're easily proven wrong. I think of this as something that it's just like, man, we are screwed as a human race because of it. I'll leave it at that out of respect for the no-essay ask.

PostPosted: May 22 19, 3:21 pm 
just can't quit you.

33anda3rd wrote:
Truth matters.

If I don't pass off a personal belief as something that is universally true--but that is easy to prove as objectively false with a quick google search--no one can condescend by correcting me.

Edit to add:

I don't mean that sarcastically, condescendingly, anything like that. I mean that as a plea for objectivity and the truth. A lot of personal opinion in that thread was stated as if it's universally true, and that's just how we end up where we are as a society. Fake stuff on Facebook. Hillary = Trump, both just as bad. No collusion. We can't just pass off beliefs as truths when they're easily proven wrong. I think of this as something that it's just like, man, we are screwed as a human race because of it. I'll leave it at that out of respect for the no-essay ask.

You do you. Just realize most people stop reading after the first few condescending jabs.

I have already wasted way too many key strokes on you.

PostPosted: May 22 19, 3:30 pm 
99% conan clips

most or some

PostPosted: May 22 19, 3:58 pm 
The Last Word

33anda3rd wrote:
Truth matters.

Edit to add:

To be fair, many people feel that you pass off your "opinion" as universal truth, as well. We don't all view things the same way. Let's be honest...... your diatribe on what you THOUGHT Ima meant was a monumental stretch. 1)You don't know what he meant, because you're not inside his brain, and 2)You took a TON of liberties in the explanation of what you "thought" he meant. Nobody is going to take that seriously.

I agree with you about Facebook (and I even agree with both of the examples that you used). Facebook is a million times worse than this place, when it comes to fertilizing fake news. 95% of what is posted on this forum is opinions, and when it's not opinion, both sides usually have good resources to back up their facts. I don't think its a big problem.

I love reading your views in the "Other Sports" forum. There are obviously more trigger points in politics, which is why I've avoided it for months (until this week).

PostPosted: May 22 19, 4:34 pm 
Replies Authoritatively

Socnorb11 wrote:
To be fair, many people feel that you pass off your "opinion" as universal truth, as well.

I'm opinionated and tough to move off an opinion. When I speak of something as a truth it's because I have researched it. I often post links. When someone says "women regret abortion" like it's a universal truth and I post a link saying "here's a link showing that 95% of women don't regret abortion", basically correcting a lie, people who want to believe that women regret abortion are going to read that as condescending. That I am too wordy adds to that. But I don't pass off beliefs or random opinions as universal truth.

I don't think I need to know Dreamer better than I have come to know him on this board--which is to say casually--to say that I know he would not be in favor of Republican Genocide. I don't think he's a sociopath like that.