GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently July 17 19, 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: May 22 19, 4:35 pm 
Offline
just can't quit you.
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 4:33 pm
Posts: 23956
Location: Lost
Jocephus wrote:
most or some


Some, several, a lot, many, a few, whatever floats your boat.

It was my opinion anyway - so it probably stinks.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: May 22 19, 5:03 pm 
Offline
The Last Word

Joined: June 21 06, 8:45 am
Posts: 19507
33anda3rd wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
To be fair, many people feel that you pass off your "opinion" as universal truth, as well.


I'm opinionated and tough to move off an opinion. When I speak of something as a truth it's because I have researched it. I often post links. When someone says "women regret abortion" like it's a universal truth and I post a link saying "here's a link showing that 95% of women don't regret abortion", basically correcting a lie, people who want to believe that women regret abortion are going to read that as condescending. That I am too wordy adds to that. But I don't pass off beliefs or random opinions as universal truth.

I don't think I need to know Dreamer better than I have come to know him on this board--which is to say casually--to say that I know he would not be in favor of Republican Genocide. I don't think he's a sociopath like that.



Fat specifically said he was basing his stance on his "limited research and more extensive personal experience with women". Keenan also respectfully corrected him, but didn't make all sorts of unnecessary (and false, by the way) religious innuendos and assumptions about where Fat is meeting and counseling these people. The "truth" is that most women NEVER talk about their abortion, so I'd guess that any studies are going to be skewed.

Also, you continue to insist that "science" is on your side, but there are a gazillion scientific studies concluding that human life begins at conception. You just choose to not acknowledge them, and call people a liar when they don't agree with YOUR "science". So pretending that you're here to present the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the undeniable truth is........... well, not true. You're just as guilty as anyone else on the board of ignoring other peoples' "truth".


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: May 22 19, 5:49 pm 
Offline
Replies Authoritatively
User avatar

Joined: April 7 13, 9:45 am
Posts: 6884
Location: Chicago, IL
Socnorb11 wrote:
The "truth" is that most women NEVER talk about their abortion, so I'd guess that any studies are going to be skewed.


In light of what I'm asking: this is a thing you believe, which may be true for you because no woman has discussed an abortion with you, but you do not know this to be fact. So you can't say it like it's a fact. Over the course of the last election a lot of people said to wart "Hillary, Trump, heck they're the same thing" and wart started to repeat that lie because he thought it was true. If you tell that belief that is not a fact like it is a fact--women don't talk about their abortions therefore any study is skewed--then you can lead people like wart to believe that too. If FatStrat says that "women regret abortions" which is wrong, then wart might believe that. Now the two of you have wart all misguided thinking that women deeply regret abortion across the board and would never speak about it so any data on the issue is garbage. Now poor wart won't listen to data, he just listens to his friends on GRB who are not mean to him they're good guys and cut from the same jib as he is so probably every good guy like wart thinks that way too. That is dangerous, when rhetoric and belief spreads to overrule the truth. This is literally how we get Trump, Brexit. You say I'm condescending, I kind of am, admittedly. But I'll fight you on all those mis-truths rather than let them slide.

This is my ask: before you spread something saying it is a fact, make sure it's a fact. I'm not the one guilty of pretending wild opinion is absolutely correct.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: May 22 19, 5:59 pm 
Offline
just can't quit you.
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 4:33 pm
Posts: 23956
Location: Lost
33anda3rd wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
The "truth" is that most women NEVER talk about their abortion, so I'd guess that any studies are going to be skewed.


In light of what I'm asking: this is a thing you believe, which may be true for you because no woman has discussed an abortion with you, but you do not know this to be fact. So you can't say it like it's a fact. Over the course of the last election a lot of people said to wart "Hillary, Trump, heck they're the same thing" and wart started to repeat that lie because he thought it was true. If you tell that belief that is not a fact like it is a fact--women don't talk about their abortions therefore any study is skewed--then you can lead people like wart to believe that too. If FatStrat says that "women regret abortions" which is wrong, then wart might believe that. Now the two of you have wart all misguided thinking that women deeply regret abortion across the board and would never speak about it, it's just so ghastly. That is dangerous, when rhetoric and belief spreads to overrule the truth. You say I'm condescending, I kind of am, admittedly. But I'll fight you on all those mis-truths rather than let them slide.


You have no idea about me, or who or what I pay attention to. You just stated this all as fact after saying we shouldn't state opinions as fact. Funny since this is exactly how Trump likes to tweet.

I also don't need to get info from people I don't know to make up my mind about things. I am a highly educated, professional with multiple degrees, I am capable of critical thinking, and don't base my ideas on what the people around me think. I have lived in 3 very distinct and different parts of the country, so I have seen a lot if different peoples and cultures. I don't live my life inside an insulated bubble where I only hear like minded people.

I also never said Trump and Hillary are the same. I said I could't vote for either one because I dislike both of them, in fact I hate Trump way more than I do Hillary. I voted for Geddy because I could't cast a vote for Trump and his idiotic cronies, and I didn't want to vote for Hillary.

Finally - keep my name out of your mouth. You have zero ability to talk for me or even to understand how I think.


Last edited by wart57 on May 22 19, 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: May 22 19, 6:02 pm 
Offline
just can't quit you.
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 4:33 pm
Posts: 23956
Location: Lost
I am off work for the next 5 days - so, most likely i won't post again until Tuesday - I have the pleasure of spending the weekend with my 4 amazing daughters and wonderful wife.

Have a great weekend everyone.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: May 22 19, 6:07 pm 
Offline
Replies Authoritatively
User avatar

Joined: April 7 13, 9:45 am
Posts: 6884
Location: Chicago, IL
wart57 wrote:
I also never said Trump and Hillary are the same. I said I could't vote for either one because I dislike both of them, in fact I hate Trump way more than I do Hillary.


psssssh

http://gatewayredbirds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=55574&p=1684475&hilit=hillary+trump#p1684475

Quote:
I think Trump and Clinton would both be bad for America, I am just amazed at how many people will gloss over Hillary lying to the American public and to the FBI as something minor we shouldn't worry about.


That's equivalency, wart.

http://gatewayredbirds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=59956&p=1708103&hilit=hillary+trump#p1708103

wart57 wrote:
Schlich wrote:



Didn't Hillary lose like $600,000 a few years ago - using the same loophole - just not to the extent of Trump?


That's equivalency wart. You might try to slip out on a technicality--hey, I said it's not as bad as Trump--but you're just equating her to him. They're both tax cheats, is how this reads.

I have a couple nephews with advanced degrees. They're Trumpists. The degrees mean they jumped through hurdles to complete assignments, not that they're smart.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: May 22 19, 7:30 pm 
Offline
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster
User avatar

Joined: April 17 06, 11:25 am
Posts: 27027
Political threadiquette normally dictates that you shouldn’t carpet bomb the political threadiquette thread with the same [expletive] [expletive] that the goddamn thread is about.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: May 22 19, 7:37 pm 
Offline
just can't quit you.
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 4:33 pm
Posts: 23956
Location: Lost
You just proved you know nothing about equivalencies. I said they both were bad not equally bad and not bad for the same reasons. Besides, my vote shouldn’t have mattered since Hillary was going to win anyway. They were both [expletive] sandwiches in my eyes. So, I didn’t vote for either. Again, you know NOTHING about how I got through school so, again, your opinion means absolutely nothing.

Bye now.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: May 22 19, 8:46 pm 
Offline
There's someone in my head but it's not me
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 5:08 pm
Posts: 43383
Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.
Popeye_Card wrote:
Political threadiquette normally dictates that you shouldn’t carpet bomb the political threadiquette thread with the same [expletive] [expletive] that the goddamn thread is about.

Thank you.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: May 23 19, 8:06 am 
Offline
Replies Authoritatively
User avatar

Joined: April 7 13, 9:45 am
Posts: 6884
Location: Chicago, IL
Radbird wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:
Political threadiquette normally dictates that you shouldn’t carpet bomb the political threadiquette thread with the same [expletive] [expletive] that the goddamn thread is about.

Thank you.


We can't have a discussion about politics without having a discussion about the prejudices and misinformation that skew issues in the world, Rad. The spread of the idea that Hillary was on the same level of grift and corruption and criminality and sleaze as Trump ("they're both [expletive] sandwiches") was a huge factor in the 2016 election and is one of the biggest reasons we now are burdened with the evils of Trump. And this kind of prejudice and misinformation is present in virtually every political issue we have and we can't talk about those individual issues without also discussing the prejudices that act as roadblocks to progress for each of them. For example, fear and xenophobia harbored by a lot of people means that the objective fact that immigration is good for an economy doesn't matter to them. It matters though. It has to matter, we can't be a society that says "but let's worry about how some people feel on an issue...." when the opposite choice is doing the thing that is proven to work. If we know that putting a round peg in a round hole is what works, we don't stop to consider how those who think that the square peg will work better might feel. And I submit to you that the square peg is the xenophobe's immigration policy--throwing up a wall and isolating ourselves would be bad for our economy, like tariffs. So because some people feel a way that is objectively wrong and demonstrates a lack of understanding for how economies work is not a thing to work around, it's a problem to fix.

The 1 in 3 or so Americans who are pro-Trump are likely here on GRB, because this board is about a baseball team popular where Trump is popular. They're going to be offended by someone saying that their bias and beliefs are problematic whether it's here, Facebook, Twitter, their physical world, whatever.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group