GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently June 18 19, 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Impeachment - yay or nay?
Yay! 89%  89%  [ 25 ]
Nay! Won't get past the Senate 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Nay! Will energize his base and potentially sway independents 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Nay! Let the SDNY and other entities with more latitude make their criminal case 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Nay! On what grounds? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 28
PostPosted: May 31 19, 5:40 pm 
http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy

I know this topic has been covered on other threads, but it seems the debate is heating up among Dems. At this point, I'm torn. I know in '72 impeaching Nixon was highly unpopular and eventually the public came around in favor. It's just such uncharted territory as it's only been done three times in the history of our nation to understand the national implications. We know unequivocally he will never be removed from office given the current state of the GOP. Is it worth it just to expose his wrong doings? Is it worth it to uphold the constitution? I've never been one to waste time going through an exercise for face time when you know what the outcome will be.

PostPosted: May 31 19, 6:40 pm 
Hall Of Famer

I've been with Pelosi until Mueller's statement this week. You can't worry about the Trumpists - as if anything will change their minds. You have to do it for the Constitution and because who knows what evidence will show up once it starts? Also, put it out there for history to make its judgement on McConnell, Roberts, and the spineless fascists in the Senate.

PostPosted: May 31 19, 7:44 pm 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.
At the very least they should begin the process. If the House impeaches and sends to Senate with a solid case for conviction, then we all get to watch the embarrassing spectacle of Mitch, Lindsay and crew acquitting their Dear Leader despite hard evidence of criminal wrongdoing.

It’s not a waste of time to show you’re the only party that upholds the constitution. Lots of ammunition for the Dems in 2020. Whether they will use it effectively is the question.

PostPosted: May 31 19, 9:06 pm 
Hall Of Famer

I voted yay, but if there's one thing Pelosi can do, it's count to 218. She doesn't have the votes.

PostPosted: May 31 19, 9:13 pm 
Replies Authoritatively

Energize his base is moot. Those people's resting state is energized.

I voted yay. They should go ahead with this. However, there's still IMO the danger of legal precedent being set by this polarized right-wing off-the-reservation Senate.

PostPosted: May 31 19, 11:09 pm 
http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy

Of course, there's also the issue of him not being ousted by the Senate = total exoneration. Witch hunt!

PostPosted: June 1 19, 11:12 am 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.

Is this true? The Senate doesn’t convict and he’s off the hook from any criminal charges? Double jeopardy?

PostPosted: June 2 19, 6:44 am 
Replies Authoritatively

Maggie's JD from Sam Waterson University is misleading her here. Impeachment is political in nature, not criminal.

US Constitution, Article 1, Section 3, Clause 7:

Quote:
Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.

It's nice to see this poll at 18-1. I'd bet if it were taken a month ago it would not be that far apart. I for one was skeptical about impeachment and was on the fence then, and the more that comes out the more I want it to go forward. I think once they start the hearing and all the awfulness of Trump is on TV every day for months, the public will be fully on board, and possibly the Senate too, who won't have much option given rising public desire to see him impeached. President Pence sounds awful, but there's no way that wackjob can win a national election.

PostPosted: June 2 19, 12:19 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Defeating Trump in 2020 with a failed impeachment process is a repudiation of the GOP. It would prove that voters know better about GOP bullshet.

Without the impeachment process, even with a dem win- Trump, Mitch and Lindsay still get to create fiction based reality, like not much of this ever happened.
Then the next GOP president will be smarter than Trump, and can do whatever the [expletive] he wants

Last edited by Freed Roger on June 2 19, 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 2 19, 7:53 pm 
Hall Of Famer

33anda3rd wrote:
I think once they start the hearing and all the awfulness of Trump is on TV every day for months, the public will be fully on board, and possibly the Senate too, who won't have much option given rising public desire to see him impeached.

Good Lord, Trump's awfulness has been on full display on the cable networks and social media non-stop for three [expletive] years, and his approval rating has barely budged. Give it up.