GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently August 22 19, 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: August 5 19, 11:18 am 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

33anda3rd wrote:
If the New Illinois Movement gets their way, it might be the best of Pritzker's accomplishments, though it's unlikely and it would be unintentional.

Bye Felicia.

(except for thrill in Peoria. we'll give him asylum)

PostPosted: August 5 19, 11:23 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

sighyoung wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
Missouri is completely different. 71% GOP controlled statehouse and some of the worse Trumper politicians. Dems are terrible too, Centrists like McCaskill and that clown running as a conservative dem that lost governor to Greitens. We are fooked here.

You could be Kentucky. McConnell and Paul for life. McConnell has run against some real mouth-breathers here, and the Democrats are terrible, insincere, incompetent and corrupt. McCaskill is a Rhodes Scholar compared to McConnell's challenger, Amy McGrath. John Yarmuth (the one Democrat among the state's representatives in Washington) is smart, articulate, knows policy, and is very impressive, but there's little else in the state. At least the current governor (Bevin) is so arrogant, erratic, and unpopular (regularly attacking teachers, for instance) that a Democrat has a shot to win the governor's race this fall.

I am reading Tony Horwitz "Spying on the South", a sequel to "Confederates in the Attic". He retraces the Frederick Olmsted travels in the south pre civil war (Olmsted was then a NYT correspondent traveling the south for several years) . A then and now book.

I realize there is way too much out there in genre of the David Brooksian East Coast writers taking the pulse of Trump America with a day trip to WV etc. There is some of that in this book, but much different with historical aspect. The author has some cred, with his previous writing and experience.

Anyway, I am enjoying it, while being depressed by his path along Olmsteds, with visits to Angola prison, creationist museum etc etc. A lot of the Then in places like KY MO TN is still present Now.

In case of MO though (not part of the book), the power balance is more off-kilter now than pre Civil war.

PostPosted: August 5 19, 11:32 am 
Replies Authoritatively

G. Keenan wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
If the New Illinois Movement gets their way, it might be the best of Pritzker's accomplishments, though it's unlikely and it would be unintentional.

Bye Felicia.

(except for thrill in Peoria. we'll give him asylum)

Yeah, we'd be an open border state like every other state. Just gotta get in quick before our legal weed and great schools and universities and roads and transportation and entertainment and diversity and so on renders the cost of living outrageously high.

PostPosted: August 5 19, 11:57 am 
bronoun enthusiast

That article is such a rich text that it's hard to know where to even begin when you pick it apart. From the fact that it was started by a goober dude straight out of white trash central casting on facebook (where all truly inspired political movements begin), to the dead ender white hairs who are currently in their 7th decade of having dumb as [expletive] political opinions because they've never been exposed to life outside of their rural farm community, to literally anyone who thinks that this incredibly shallow, boring bar room politics conversation fodder has any actual merit whatsoever.

I guess a good starting point is the obvious fact that the big winner in a downstate annexation movement would be CHICAGO. I get why the Trib would cover this. It's got to be legitimately amusing for the city folk to laugh at the dumb rubes, but as anyone who's grown up downstate can tell you, anyone who believes this is a good idea should be ignored completely.

I have a funny anecdote related to this. All my life I've heard the line about how Chicago sucks up all Illinois tax resources to pay for welfare queens and corrupt democrat initiatives, but with the new state super fund coming out imminently for capital improvement projects state-wide, after 10 years of running such bad deficits that austerity has been the status quo as long as I can remember, this is every municipality's big change to finally get some money to invest directly in their own projects. Naturally, having heard all my life how Chicago sucks up all the tax dollars, I figured City of Peoria would finally go after some money for much-needed infrastructure rehabs. They applied for a grand total of $0.

How the hell is that Chicago's fault?

PostPosted: August 5 19, 12:32 pm 
Replies Authoritatively

thrill wrote:
I guess a good starting point is the obvious fact that the big winner in a downstate annexation movement would be CHICAGO. I get why the Trib would cover this. It's got to be legitimately amusing for the city folk to laugh at the dumb rubes, but as anyone who's grown up downstate can tell you, anyone who believes this is a good idea should be ignored completely.

I do think Central Illinoisans are largely dumb rubes, but not in a way that makes me laugh at them. Mostly in a way that puzzles me: how do you let it all go? How do you constantly blame someone else? How do you resent people who have no bearing on your life because your life is [expletive]? How do you hold on to backwards attitudes about guns and religion and women and non-white people? How do you allow religion to trump education? How do you shield your kids from education because it interferes with evangelical fundamentalism? Yes, I look down on a lot of the people from where I came. But not because they are just good honest people who don't deserve it, and I'm a condescending dick. And I don't find anything about the situation down there worth laughing at. I find it alarming, concerning, a real tragedy.

PostPosted: August 5 19, 12:41 pm 
bronoun enthusiast

The tragic thing is that compared to most of the country, very little has actually changed in rural Illinois other than the centralization of capital, whether it be to the management class of manufacturers like Caterpillar who killed their jobs to outsourcing and automation, or agriculture, through farm consolidation. Demographically speaking, their institutions are pretty much exactly as sound as they were in 1950. They live in almost exclusively white communities. No one has told them they can't go to their church. No one is encroaching on their rights. Minorities aren't moving into their communities at noticeable rates.

And yet, who do they blame?

PostPosted: August 5 19, 12:45 pm 
Replies Authoritatively

thrill wrote:
The tragic thing is that compared to most of the country, very little has actually changed in rural Illinois other than the centralization of capital, whether it be to the management class of manufacturers like Caterpillar who killed their jobs to outsourcing and automation, or agriculture, through farm consolidation. Demographically speaking, their institutions are pretty much exactly as sound as they were in 1950. They live in almost exclusively white communities. No one has told them they can't go to their church. No one is encroaching on their rights. Minorities aren't moving into their communities at noticeable rates.

And yet, who do they blame?

Chicago.

Mexicans.

China.

Muslims.

Congress--though it's never my Congressman, people like their own Congressman, even when they say Congress is a mess.

PostPosted: August 5 19, 12:49 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Might be getting carried away, and insular about this Chicagoland depiction. Define what Chicago is. ?

Personally not a place I'd want to move to, just for the political atmosphere whether we had kids to raise or not. Have relatives in Evanston, and it jibes with what I like, and has the lake, NW Univ, etc. But also cost of living that I could never afford.
I would like more diversity, but that seems sort of contrived at that cost. Reminds me SF area where we looked into relocating to (for about 1.5 days) diverse as could be, but not in an economic sense.

My brother lives way out Chicagoland. Also
    Not for me. As my kid says- too industrial and corporate parks. Not a whole lot of charm. Outside of the lake, Chicago is flat and boring to my preferred aesthetic.

Last edited by Freed Roger on August 5 19, 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 5 19, 12:53 pm 
    Replies Authoritatively

Freed Roger wrote:
    Might be getting carried away, and insular about this depiction. Define what Chicago is. Personally not a place I'd want to move to, just for the political atmosphere whether we had kids to raise or not. Have relatives in Evanston, and it jibes with what I like, and has the lake, NW Univ, etc. But also cost of living that I could never afford.

My brother lives way out. Not for me. As my kid says- too industrial and corporate parks. Not a whole lot of charm. Outside of the lake, Chicago is flat and boring to my preferred aesthetic.

IIRC the redneck demand was to cut us off at I-80, which leaves a lot of suburbia and rural northern IL.

PostPosted: August 5 19, 1:54 pm 
    bronoun enthusiast

I'll be damned if we let you guys have Galena and Rockford.

Even though this DEFINITELY isn't about race/culture wars, I wonder what these separatists think about "giving" East St. Louis to Missouri? I'm sure this "New Illinois" movement has plans to treat urban Peoria, Bloomington/Normal, and East St. Louis much better than actual Illinois does now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next