GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently November 22 19, 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: June 10 19, 8:07 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Canada to ban single use plastics https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48477087

The can-do attitude of a first world leader.

Meanwhile, race to the bottom states like MO create laws that ensure MO would not follow any such mandates by fed or local govts.
https://www.columbiamissourian.com/news/state_news/law-against-local-restrictions-on-disposable-bags-might-expand-to/article_0cd33fca-21ce-11e8-a2ee-cf97a21a76b8.html

PostPosted: June 11 19, 9:56 am 
Perennial All-Star

I like the idea of moving to Canada more and more. I might just do it when my kids are old enough. I don't want to uproot them right now.

PostPosted: June 11 19, 3:38 pm 

Missouri's race to the bottom does not get much notice. These current GOP will be dead (hopefully at least) before the fallout.

When I mention to my wife about the above, she wants to move.

PostPosted: June 11 19, 3:48 pm 
bronoun enthusiast

As Freed knows, you'd be surprised how far off the beaten path you can go into the wilderness and still find piles of trash. I've been flabbergasted at times. How the [expletive] did a tire get here? Who brought a case of beer this far down a hike-in only trail?

If I wasn't able to laugh at the lazy [expletive] hysteria that shallow-minded morons whip themselves into about straws and completely unnecessary conveniences like that, I'd go crazy. 1) it's not that big a sacrifice. 2) we HAVE to do it. There's no magic invention that going to solve climate change and erase the mountains of plastic littering our seas and continents. Sip out of a cup like a [expletive] adult.

PostPosted: June 11 19, 4:06 pm 

Survivorman did an episode in artic Baffin Island. He was using trash that was washed ashore -he rightly pointed out that no matter where you are, there is trash you can use for fires or shelter etc.

Lake Michigan N Manitou Island island is a fed wilderness -the resort and public beaches on mainland are generally cleaner since someone sweeps through. It was kind of depressing. Floated thru Tennesse River Gorge a ways. The plastic junk -mostly bottles, was something else.

"River" Des Peres flooding in Stl left a mess of plastic trash.

I can do better, i am drinking a gatorade out of plastic as I type. I will walk 25 feet and put in recycle bin, but that isnt good enough.

PostPosted: June 11 19, 6:42 pm 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.
Freed Roger wrote:
Missouri's race to the bottom does not get much notice. These current GOP will be dead (hopefully at least) before the fallout.

When I mention to my wife about the above, she wants to move.

Mine doesn’t even want to visit.

PostPosted: June 11 19, 9:15 pm 

Trump admin is trying to undo Clean Water Act rules - you have to google WOTUS clean water etc. Complicated issue that you don't want anti-science dumbasses beholden to BiG Ag and industry deciding upon.

Has to do with ephemeral streams and defining what is a waterway for protection purposes.

Heard NPR piece on this-most all of NM waterways are affected (seasonal water ways make the few non-seasonal waterways.) 40% of waterways and wetlands lose protection. More in some states.

In race-to-the-bottom Missouri, Sen Blunt is behind this Trump plan. Of course he is. Have to wonder about the thousands of springs in MO where water comes out of the ground from a watershed covering 40 miles away. Anything goes in that watershed up until the water comes out of the ground?

Kind of scary when you consider water is a vital for all living things.

God ole " Conservatives"

PostPosted: June 11 19, 9:50 pm 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

What I'm afraid of is Missouri will start selling off or closing state parks. Mo has some incredible parks and it would be a shame to lose them.

Also who drinks out of a straw? What are you four years old?

PostPosted: June 11 19, 10:02 pm 

IMADreamer wrote:
What I'm afraid of is Missouri will start selling off or closing state parks. Mo has some incredible parks and it would be a shame to lose them.

The GOP here will only sell of parks created during democrat governorship. And only if one of their wealthy donors wants the land for some reason.

PostPosted: June 12 19, 6:19 am 
gone fission

IMADreamer wrote:

Have you never ordered a cocktail at a bar? You essentially get a couple tiny single-use stir stick straws with every drink. Always. You have to consciously ask your server to *not* include a straw. I can probably count on one hand the number of bars I've been to that won't automatically include straws or that use the recyclable paper straws.

I keep a FinalStraw in my car that I will bring inside when we go out to drink if I can remember. I always feel kind of smug when I pull it out and it springs forth into a giant ostentatious stainless steel straw.