GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 21 19, 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: June 12 19, 9:41 am 
darjeeling sipping elite

Swirls wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:
What I'm afraid of is Missouri will start selling off or closing state parks. Mo has some incredible parks and it would be a shame to lose them.

Also who drinks out of a straw? What are you four years old?

Have you never ordered a cocktail at a bar? You essentially get a couple tiny single-use stir stick straws with every drink. Always. You have to consciously ask your server to *not* include a straw. I can probably count on one hand the number of bars I've been to that won't automatically include straws or that use the recyclable paper straws.

I keep a FinalStraw in my car that I will bring inside when we go out to drink if I can remember. I always feel kind of smug when I pull it out and it springs forth into a giant ostentatious stainless steel straw.

Some bars around here are giving straws only on request. I only know that bc i heard someone ask. What would i need a straw for?
Libertarians (& Rs) would never go for it because FREEDOM AND LIBERTY but single use plastics need to go. Overcomplicated/redundant packaging as well.

Side note on straws: I really tried to discourage my kid from using them bc if she got a Coke when we went out, drinking with a straw meant she’d have a refill. Without, she might drink half.

PostPosted: June 12 19, 10:04 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

the plastics industry speaks
Lots of nonsense ....i.e. whatabout single use plastic IVs?!?!

PostPosted: June 12 19, 10:21 am 
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Swirls wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:
What I'm afraid of is Missouri will start selling off or closing state parks. Mo has some incredible parks and it would be a shame to lose them.

Also who drinks out of a straw? What are you four years old?

Have you never ordered a cocktail at a bar? You essentially get a couple tiny single-use stir stick straws with every drink. Always. You have to consciously ask your server to *not* include a straw. I can probably count on one hand the number of bars I've been to that won't automatically include straws or that use the recyclable paper straws.

I keep a FinalStraw in my car that I will bring inside when we go out to drink if I can remember. I always feel kind of smug when I pull it out and it springs forth into a giant ostentatious stainless steel straw.

My local bar here in Branson of all places doesn't even do straws. Just about everything is recyclable or biodegradable. Stir sticks, to go containers etc.

PostPosted: June 12 19, 10:59 am 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

thrill wrote:
As Freed knows, you'd be surprised how far off the beaten path you can go into the wilderness and still find piles of trash. I've been flabbergasted at times. How the [expletive] did a tire get here? Who brought a case of beer this far down a hike-in only trail?

If I wasn't able to laugh at the lazy [expletive] hysteria that shallow-minded morons whip themselves into about straws and completely unnecessary conveniences like that, I'd go crazy. 1) it's not that big a sacrifice. 2) we HAVE to do it. There's no magic invention that going to solve climate change and erase the mountains of plastic littering our seas and continents. Sip out of a cup like a [expletive] adult.

It really is awful. I remember like 6 years ago I was on this little Croatian island in the Adriatic Sea and it was just idyllic as all hell. A paradise. I was hanging out in a little cove on the island, swimming, etc and thought I'd do some snorkeling. Put on the mask and looked under water -- the sea floor was completely covered in plastic bottles. Just covered. It was shocking and made me feel really sad. I didn't even want to tell my wife about it because I didn't want to spoil the illusion for her.

Plastic is absolutely everywhere. Now we're getting these micro fibers turning up in municipal drinking water. Half of us probably have plastic lodged in our digestive tracts for all we know, killing us slowly.

PostPosted: August 30 19, 4:29 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

[expletive] useless monument to racism is desecrating the las
Quote:
Border wall construction in Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument is a travestyThe barrier divides the monument and nearby wildlife refuges.