GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently December 6 19, 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Filibuster
PostPosted: August 9 19, 4:09 pm 
Replies Authoritatively

This should be a litmus test issue for all the strong-willed progressives who want real change.

There won't be real change until there's an end to the filibuster and the next POTUS needs to lean into the Senate to end the filibuster loudly publicly and clearly. Draw the map however, one cannot get to the point where there are 60 blue Senate seats at any point in the near future so without and end to the filibuster you can bet there will be no assault rifle ban or other important meaningful sweeping legislation. No end to Citizens United, nothing.

The filibuster is one of the things that renders our democracy undemocratic. It has to go. The leader on this issue is Warren, and Inslee, Pete and Beto are to my knowledge the only other candidates for POTUS who have spoken unequivocally about ending the filibuster.

Sanders' plan is not to end the filibuster but to direct his Veep to force an end to filibuster talk on the floor and force a reconciliation vote. The problem is you can't, if I understand it correctly, invoke the Byrd law and move to a reconciliation vote, unless the vote is for a budget or another measure that is spending- or revenue-based. So basically Sanders is saying that he'd ignore parliamentary procedures in the Senate and direct them to do his bidding, which is problematic. I'd like to see Sanders get hip to campaigning on ending the filibuster. He's been very "well, you have to protect minority rights too" about the issue.

Granted, killing the filibuster requires getting through the Senate and past a, erm, filibuster....so it's gonna be a tough row to hoe. But it should be a litmus test issue, the elimination of it.

Post subject: Re: Filibuster
PostPosted: August 9 19, 5:46 pm 
Hall Of Famer

The way McConnell's run roughshod over due process and the Constitution, I'm now all for killing the filibuster.

PostPosted: August 9 19, 5:54 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

33anda3rd wrote:
This should be a litmus test issue for all the strong-willed progressives who want real change.

There won't be real change until there's an end to the filibuster and the next POTUS needs to lean into the Senate to end the filibuster loudly publicly and clearly. Draw the map however, one cannot get to the point where there are 60 blue Senate seats at any point in the near future so without and end to the filibuster you can bet there will be no assault rifle ban or other important meaningful sweeping legislation. No end to Citizens United, nothing.

The filibuster is one of the things that renders our democracy undemocratic. It has to go. The leader on this issue is Warren, and Inslee, Pete and Beto are to my knowledge the only other candidates for POTUS who have spoken unequivocally about ending the filibuster.

Sanders' plan is not to end the filibuster but to direct his Veep to force an end to filibuster talk on the floor and force a reconciliation vote. The problem is you can't, if I understand it correctly, invoke the Byrd law and move to a reconciliation vote, unless the vote is for a budget or another measure that is spending- or revenue-based. So basically Sanders is saying that he'd ignore parliamentary procedures in the Senate and direct them to do his bidding, which is problematic. I'd like to see Sanders get hip to campaigning on ending the filibuster. He's been very "well, you have to protect minority rights too" about the issue.

Granted, killing the filibuster requires getting through the Senate and past a, erm, filibuster....so it's gonna be a tough row to hoe. But it should be a litmus test issue, the elimination of it.

Rs will just bring it back.

PostPosted: August 9 19, 6:12 pm 
Replies Authoritatively

Rs will = Whigs in 30 years.

There won't be enough votes for a party of old white anti-LGBTQ Mexican-villiainizing racist gun-toting bible-thumping evangelical fundamentalist military fetishists to have any kind of real power.