GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 22 19, 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: August 18 19, 7:40 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Wish we could ship unemployed Kudlow and Trump there.

What in the world is all this talk about 'looking at' buying Greenland? I mean, really, WTF?

PostPosted: August 18 19, 7:43 pm 
Everday Unicorn

We are living in the dumbest timeline.

PostPosted: August 18 19, 8:21 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Ideally Williamson gets asked a question about buying Greenland at the next Democratic debate.

Last edited by greenback44 on August 18 19, 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 18 19, 8:25 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Once again- Could you imagine if Clinton or Obama proposed something like this?

PostPosted: August 18 19, 8:38 pm 
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

As dumb as it sounds, it actually isn’t that crazy. Other than Denmark won’t sell it. Greenland is thought to be extremely rich in natural resources, and thanks to climate change, they are becoming accessible.

I mean, it is perverted. We only want it now that we burned enough resources to expose it. But it at least makes some sense.

PostPosted: August 18 19, 8:38 pm 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.
Freed Roger wrote:
Once again- Could you imagine if Clinton or Obama proposed something like this?

Don’t limit it to just Dems. I can’t imagine any past president doing 90% of the [expletive] that’s going on today.

PostPosted: August 18 19, 8:53 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Popeye_Card wrote:
As dumb as it sounds, it actually isn’t that crazy. Other than Denmark won’t sell it. Greenland is thought to be extremely rich in natural resources, and thanks to climate change, they are becoming accessible.
mean, it is perverted. We only want it now that we burned enough resources to expose it. But it at least makes some sense.

I'd rather buy Antartica, Patagonia. Or Canada while we are at it. ....

....I know what your saying Popeye about Greenland, but again, worth saying:
It's just absurd, the GOP giving King powers to a bankrupt loser. Since he is king, we get to debate things like a useless The Wall, and buying countries that can't be bought.

And frankly. I wouldn't trust the United States of America, under the current admin as a steward of the resources of Greenland. [expletive], I don't trust them with existing USA.

PostPosted: August 18 19, 9:59 pm 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Popeye_Card wrote:

I mean, it is perverted. We only want it now that we burned enough resources to expose it. But it at least makes some sense.

You aren't wrong. But man it would be catastrophic to the world if we bought Greenland.

PostPosted: August 19 19, 7:24 am 
Hall Of Famer

How much would it cost? Why do we have this insanely massive military if we're just going to try to buy land. Why not just take it by force like we did so many other places?

This is a really hard idea to get inside my head. Large scale resource extraction from Greenland would be the final nail in the coffin for coastal cities around the world, if we already haven't passed that point. I would hope there would be massive protests but so far none of those have been able to stop any of these kind of things (for example: DAPL). It's going to take protests the level of Puerto Rico or Hong Kong to stop things like this and even then it may not be enough.

PostPosted: August 19 19, 7:42 am 
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

pioneer98 wrote:
This is a really hard idea to get inside my head. Large scale resource extraction from Greenland would be the final nail in the coffin for coastal cities around the world, if we already haven't passed that point. I would hope there would be massive protests but so far none of those have been able to stop any of these kind of things (for example: DAPL). It's going to take protests the level of Puerto Rico or Hong Kong to stop things like this and even then it may not be enough.

For clarification, hydrocarbons are only a small portion of the valuable resources expected to be found in Greenland. There are abundant gemstones and precious metal deposits including uranium. Denmark is assumed to be a safe world player, but a portion of the argument to purchase control of Greenland would be to play defense.

As for hydrocarbon extraction, it wouldn't be a final nail in any fashion. Hydrocarbon resources are abundantly available in other parts of the world, can be extracted much easier, and already have plenty of global climate destructing power. Protests also won't change squat. I think both sides--left and right--need to educate themselves on the global energy market, and figure out how we are going to be able to meet the energy demands of 8+ billion people across the globe without destroying the planet in the process. The solutions are far, far more complex than curtailing fossil fuel use.

(Note: In case it is unclear, I'm not an advocate for buying Greenland. Just attempting to provide the logic behind it. In the universe of bat-guano-crazy Trump administration ideas, this one actually makes some sense.)