GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently January 20 20, 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 61  Next
PostPosted: September 26 19, 8:46 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Not to oversimplify -isn't Ukraine a proxy for Putin/Russia.

PostPosted: September 26 19, 8:50 am 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Freed Roger wrote:

No, the opposite. Ukraine is fighting like hell to keep Russia out of their affairs, and is currently in a real actual guerrilla war with Russia in the east of their country. For this reason the US Congress and the EU have appropriated military aid and financial assistance to them, which is what Trump was withholding to use as leverage to pressure them into investing Biden.

PostPosted: September 26 19, 8:54 am 

G. Keenan wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:

No, the opposite. Ukraine is fighting like hell to keep Russia out of their affairs, and is currently in a real actual guerrilla war with Russia in the east of their country. For this reason the US Congress and the EU have appropriated military aid and financial assistance to them, which is what Trump was withholding to use as leverage to pressure them into investing Biden.

Yes, I realize that....but meant to mean a proxy for US dealings with Russia whether the dealings are adversarial or friendly to Russia. Manafort etc and yes Biden Obama.

Maybe a conduit is better term than proxy. Whatever.

It is confusing. Public will need some education on this, maybe Devin Numes can help....

PostPosted: September 26 19, 9:14 am 

ghostrunner wrote:

Wow, just read that in full. Pretty damning stuff, and unlike the Mueller report which was like 400 pages, this is 9 pages and very easy to follow and understand. In addition to pressuring Ukraine to investigate Biden, the White House is covering up this conversation, and possibly others, by storing the transcripts in a top secret NSA system used only for national security sensitive information, not "regular" conversations like this. Complaint states that WH staff were instructed to do this by WH lawyers, fearful that Trump committed an illegal act and wanting to limit the number of people who could see the transcript.

PostPosted: September 26 19, 9:40 am 
All-Star

To summarize my Facebook feed (and yours too), 'if Trump did anything wrong, how come I hate Obama so much? Huh?'

I can't decide if Trump is behaving more desperately than usual. I guess not. We've been through 'impeach me and we'll be poor and dead' before. There are lots of think pieces about how this threat to his presidency is different this time. But I'm not so sure. I hope so.

PostPosted: September 26 19, 9:56 am 
gone fission

ghostrunner wrote:

Daaaaamn. Maybe it's not such a terrible idea to have the whistleblower complaint be the extent of impeachment proceedings if it gets done quickly. No way we get lucky enough and Trump just resigns like Nixon did to prevent an impeachment.

PostPosted: September 26 19, 10:04 am 

G. Keenan wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:

Wow, just read that in full. Pretty damning stuff, and unlike the Mueller report which was like 400 pages, this is 9 pages and very easy to follow and understand. In addition to pressuring Ukraine to investigate Biden, the White House is covering up this conversation, and possibly others, by storing the transcripts in a top secret NSA system used only for national security sensitive information, not "regular" conversations like this. Complaint states that WH staff were instructed to do this by WH lawyers, fearful that Trump committed an illegal act and wanting to limit the number of people who could see the transcript.

Re hearsay and 3rd party status of the whistleblower -when it is corroborated by the evidence - doesn't that give it merit?

Is there anything any the whistleblower complaint that is not corroborated?

PostPosted: September 26 19, 10:09 am 
All-Star

I'm not worried. Sean Hannity will find that the whistleblower's second cousin went to the same school district as Chelsea Clinton.

PostPosted: September 26 19, 10:09 am 

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
I can't decide if Trump is behaving more desperately than usual. I guess not. We've been through 'impeach me and we'll be poor and dead' before. .

I tune out his talk a lot -so I can't really read if something is different... but seemed like he phoned in his UN address -even with all the nationalistic nonsense they wrote up for him. I would think he'd have jumped all over that. I am guessing they'll get him amped up on adderall for another Klan rally soon to boost his machismo.

Last edited by Freed Roger on September 26 19, 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 26 19, 10:10 am 

Freed Roger wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:

Re hearsay and 3rd party status of the whistleblower -when it is corroborated by the evidence - doesn't that give it merit?

Is there anything any the whistleblower complaint that is not corroborated?

The complaint appears to be thoroughly corroborated by both other govt. officials and contemporaneous press reports. Giuliani's fishing expedition to the Ukraine was being reported on back in May. We know now that he was there trying to lay the groundwork before this phone call could take place, ensuring that Zalensky would be amenable to Trump's "do me a favor" before the call.

In his testimony today, DNI state that the most serious threat to US national security is foreign interference in our elections. Something Trump still denies ever happened. Complaint references his statement on camera to George Stephanopolis in that Oval Office interview that he would listen if a foreign govt. came to him with dirt on his opponent. Remember that? And not here he is not just willing to receive dirt but asking the govt. of Ukraine to create it and provide it to him to aide in re-election.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 61  Next