GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently October 15 18, 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Round 1: Best Covered Song?
Poll ended at February 14 18, 7:36 am
Atlantic City 38%  38%  [ 9 ]
The Man Who Sold the World 63%  63%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 24
Author Message
PostPosted: February 12 18, 3:16 pm 
Offline
darjeeling sipping elite
User avatar

Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Posts: 35204
Location: Walking down Main St getting to know the concrete
Tim wrote:
We need more Levon Helm.

This all day.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: February 12 18, 4:48 pm 
Offline
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: June 4 17, 10:04 pm
Posts: 1296
Location: portlandbugle.com
heyzeus wrote:
I'd have a hard time liking any cover of Atlantic City more than the original.


It's not better, but it's amazing. I always thought they worked incredibly well as companion pieces. There's desperation in Springsteen's (there aren't many songs that capture it better; it's really incredible), and hope in The Band's.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: February 12 18, 7:18 pm 
Offline
There's someone in my head but it's not me
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 5:08 pm
Posts: 42010
Location: Somewhere back in my long ago
Hardest call so far. Didn’t think I could vote against Levon but really that was a beautiful cover by Kurt & Co.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: February 12 18, 7:42 pm 
Offline
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.
User avatar

Joined: December 6 10, 1:09 am
Posts: 10987
Location: Illinois
BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
heyzeus wrote:
I'd have a hard time liking any cover of Atlantic City more than the original.


It's not better, but it's amazing. I always thought they worked incredibly well as companion pieces. There's desperation in Springsteen's (there aren't many songs that capture it better; it's really incredible), and hope in The Band's.


It is incredible, yet here we are one of the most over rated artists of all time being covered by the most over rated artist of all time winning by double over one of the best songs of all time, written by one of the greatest, covered by one of the greatest.

This world makes no sense any more and I want off it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: February 12 18, 8:46 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 9:40 pm
Posts: 23419
I would say for me the Springsteen version starts ahead of Bowie’s and I love both of those guys.

But to me Nirvana’s cover surpasses either and The Band’s cover is my least favorite of the 4. Have to admit I don’t care much for The Band. I recognize and appreciate the musicianship, but I don’t feel much of anything listening to them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: February 12 18, 9:52 pm 
Offline
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: June 4 17, 10:04 pm
Posts: 1296
Location: portlandbugle.com
I've grown to really dislike the sound of the acoustic guitar on the Unplugged album. It sounds like the strings aren't being held down all the way or Kurt's really leaning into the top couple strings or something. He's above both those things as a guitarist so I don't know who's fault it is. But I can't get over it.

Used to be one of my favorite albums. I wonder if it's ever been remastered. If not, please remaster it before the next round, TIA.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: February 12 18, 11:15 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 9:40 pm
Posts: 23419
BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
I've grown to really dislike the sound of the acoustic guitar on the Unplugged album. It sounds like the strings aren't being held down all the way or Kurt's really leaning into the top couple strings or something. He's above both those things as a guitarist so I don't know who's fault it is. But I can't get over it.

Used to be one of my favorite albums. I wonder if it's ever been remastered. If not, please remaster it before the next round, TIA.


Yeah, it's very noticeable. You can hear his fingers sliding on the strings. I wonder if it's the way it was miked.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: February 13 18, 8:00 am 
Offline
Perennial All-Star

Joined: June 15 06, 6:11 am
Posts: 4631
Location: Minneapolis
IMADreamer wrote:
It is incredible, yet here we are one of the most over rated artists of all time being covered by the most over rated artist of all time winning by double over one of the best songs of all time, written by one of the greatest, covered by one of the greatest.

This world makes no sense any more and I want off it.


Haven't voted yet nor looked at results nor paid attention to who submitted which song. When I read this, I wasn't sure which way you meant as I lean towards feeling like both Bowie and Bruce are overrated. not that I think they suck, but neither has really struck a chord with me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: February 13 18, 9:55 am 
Offline
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.
User avatar

Joined: December 6 10, 1:09 am
Posts: 10987
Location: Illinois
Gashouse wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:
It is incredible, yet here we are one of the most over rated artists of all time being covered by the most over rated artist of all time winning by double over one of the best songs of all time, written by one of the greatest, covered by one of the greatest.

This world makes no sense any more and I want off it.


Haven't voted yet nor looked at results nor paid attention to who submitted which song. When I read this, I wasn't sure which way you meant as I lean towards feeling like both Bowie and Bruce are overrated. not that I think they suck, but neither has really struck a chord with me.


Bowie is over rated and nirvana is the most over rated. I'm firmly in the camp that if Cobain were still alive their legacy would be significantly less.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: February 13 18, 10:03 am 
Offline
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Posts: 22359
Location: St. Louis
Because of all that, I changed my vote back from AC to Nirvana.

Winning, not whining.
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group