**GRB Tourney** Final Bracket Info/Placement

Topics for the 2017 cover song tournament.
Swirls
gone fission

**GRB Tourney** Final Bracket Info/Placement

Post by Swirls »

All 64 slots have been filled. We ended up with two blank spots - I happened to have SiriusXM's Covers station playing while I was working on the bracket, so I just listed a couple songs that were playing while I was finishing it up. They'll be clearly marked as "filler" songs. It seemed more fun to have a full bracket rather than a couple people getting byes to start the tournament.

We ended up with several repeats, although not as many as I was expecting.

The most requested cover song was "Me and Bobby McGee" by Janis Joplin.

The most covered original artist was The Beatles, who had five different songs covered on the list.
Second most covered original artist was Bob Dylan, who had four.
Third place was a tie between several original artists: Bruce Springsteen, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Otis Redding, and Roger Miller (although his were all the same song - the aforementioned "Me and Bobby McGee").

In total, there were 7 different songs that were duplicated on the bracket, but thankfully everyone ended up with at least one song because of their reserves.

For seeding, I realized there was no way I was gonna be able to sort this list because of the duplicates. My original plan was to do seeding based on the total lifetime albums sold by the original artist being covered. But since 14% of our bracket (9/64 unique entries) featured The Beatles and Bob Dylan as the original artist, we would have ended up with a huge chunk of the bracket all with either the same seed or successive seeds with the same artist.

So instead I just completely randomized the entries. Here are the "seeds" each person has. If you have less entries than the number of songs you submitted, then it means other users beat you to your songs so they got them instead. Sorry. Thems the breaks sometimes.

1 InvincibleCakeEater
15 InvincibleCakeEater
27 InvincibleCakeEater
9 MrCrowesGarden
35 MrCrowesGarden
50 MrCrowesGarden
5 Gashouse
55 Gashouse
25 Gashouse
34 stlouie_lipp
42 stlouie_lipp
13 stlouie_lipp
58 AWvsCBsteeeerike3
10 AWvsCBsteeeerike3
31 Tim
61 Tim
18 Tim
51 heyzeus
62 heyzeus
21 heyzeus
49 Radbird
36 Radbird
14 Radbird
2 wart57
60 wart57
48 wart57
22 IMADreamer
41 IMADreamer
37 IMADreamer
4 tothebeach08
43 tothebeach08
26 JoeMcKim
54 BW23
6 BW23
32 BW23
28 ZigZagCardsFan
17 ZigZagCardsFan
52 cardsfansince82
11 cardsfansince82
64 cardsfansince82
38 DreamWeaver
59 DreamWeaver
20 Swirls Bot
44 Swirls Bot
56 Swirls Bot
8 GeddyWrox
29 GeddyWrox
57 Spider John
3 The Third Man
39 The Third Man
23 The Third Man
33 Tambourine Man
53 Tambourine Man
16 Smith Corks One
12 Smith Corks One
45 Smith Corks One
30 Famous Mortimer
40 themiddle54
24 themiddle54
46 themiddle54
7 haltz
63 FILLER
47 FILLER

I'll continue populating the bracket over the weekend. As a reminder, it's a standard single-elimination bracket. It will look something like this: http://www.printyourbrackets.com/64team ... ation.html

I'll have a separate bracket filled out in a Google spreadsheet that I slowly populate as the tournament goes on. I'll provide a link to that spreadsheet once it's up and running.

Thanks again to everyone for participating. Now, let's get ready to rumbleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Re: **GRB Tourney** Final Bracket Info/Placement

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

1 seed mofos!!!

It will lose.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Only one mod choice in the top 10. Very unfair! I'm issuing an executive order to fix this TRAVESTY!!

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

So tm54 sent me a PM informing me about challonge.com, which does free bracket tourneys. So I populated everything into that - ignore the numbers from above.

http://www.challonge.com/grb_cover_tourney has all the details. Just move the mouse over each entry to highlight the full song.

The first 8 matches will be up either this afternoon or tomorrow morning and will run for 48 hours unless they are super close in which case I'll let them go for another day or so for each particular match.

Smith Corks One
All-Star

Post by Smith Corks One »

Well I don't think I could have gotten worse matchups. Going against two of the all-time great covers. I think my third one has a chance to make it out of the first round, at least. We'll see.

Although to be fair, two of my picks were just random YouTubers doing songs I love.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Like my chances of getting at least two songs out of the first round.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

I was wondering who stole my other pick of Ben Folds/Dr Dre. Middle strikes again.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

I wasn't even aware of the existence of the cover my pick is going up against - although if I was picking a Temptations cover, I'd have gone for Was (Not Was) doing "Papa Was A Rolling Stone".

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

I have some pretty low seeds. That's how you know I've done a good job.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

heyzeus wrote:I have some pretty low seeds. That's how you know I've done a good job.
You get a silver star. Wait a gold one. What the hell, it doesn't matter anyway.