Round 1: "The Sound Of Silence" vs "Baba O'Riley" *CLOSED*

Topics for the 2017 cover song tournament.

Round 1: Best Covered Song?

Poll ended at February 8 17, 7:20 am

"The Sound Of Silence" by Disturbed, originally performed by Simon & Garfunkle
47%
"Baba O'Riley" by Pearl Jam, originally performed by The Who
53%

Total votes: 17

Swirls
gone fission

Round 1: "The Sound Of Silence" vs "Baba O'Riley" *CLOSED*

Post by Swirls »

http://challonge.com/grb_cover_tourney has all the tourney info.

Round 1:

AWvsCBsteeeerike3's "The Sound Of Silence" by Disturbed

Tim's "Baba O'Riley" by Pearl Jam
Last edited by Swirls on February 8 17, 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Re: Round 1: "The Sound Of Silence" vs "Baba O'Riley"

Post by Tim »

Oh man, I really dig the SOS cover by Disturbed, but the grunge train must keep rolling on!

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I'm a big Simon and Garfunkel fan, but I think Disturbed did it better.

and that baba o'riley cover is awesome. tough matchup.

Smith Corks One
All-Star

Post by Smith Corks One »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:I'm a big Simon and Garfunkel fan, but I think Disturbed did it better.
That's absurd. It's decent, I'll grant you - especially considering the source (completely unexpected for a band like Disturbed) - but without any vocal harmonies? Well, that's one of the things that make the song so great, in my opinion.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

That version of Baba is freaking awesome. I hadn't heard it before!

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Smith Corks One wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:I'm a big Simon and Garfunkel fan, but I think Disturbed did it better.
That's absurd. It's decent, I'll grant you - especially considering the source (completely unexpected for a band like Disturbed) - but without any vocal harmonies? Well, that's one of the things that make the song so great, in my opinion.
Sure S&G had better vocals, but Disturbed brought the thunder with the ominous energy that makes the cover distinct and gives it the much needed darker take imho. The lyrics are depressing and s&g while great vocalists don't do it justice, again, imho. I will say that I listened to the s&g song 20 times on pandora while building a deck this summer and always though...huh, you know what, the tone doesn't match the message....then along came disturbed to not only sing a great song but give it a much needed tweak.

Which brings me back to the main point. As a S&G fan, it pains me to say that given the choice between disturbed's version or S&G version, I have to say that I'd listen to Disturbed and it's not even that difficult of a decision.

Again, jmo.

Smith Corks One
All-Star

Post by Smith Corks One »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Smith Corks One wrote:
Sure S&G had better vocals, but Disturbed brought the thunder with the ominous energy that makes the cover distinct and gives it the much needed darker take imho. The lyrics are depressing and s&g while great vocalists don't do it justice, again, imho. I will say that I listened to the s&g song 20 times on pandora while building a deck this summer and always though...huh, you know what, the tone doesn't match the message....then along came disturbed to not only sing a great song but give it a much needed tweak.

Which brings me back to the main point. As a S&G fan, it pains me to say that given the choice between disturbed's version or S&G version, I have to say that I'd listen to Disturbed and it's not even that difficult of a decision.

Again, jmo.
I can respect that.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

What a close match! Grunge wins again.