Sweet 16: "Hallelujah" vs "All Along The..." *CLOSED*

Topics for the 2017 cover song tournament.

Sweet 16: Best Covered Song?

Poll ended at February 16 17, 1:46 pm

#62: "Hallelujah"
60%
#46: "All Along The Watchtower"
40%

Total votes: 20

Swirls
gone fission

Sweet 16: "Hallelujah" vs "All Along The..." *CLOSED*

Post by Swirls »

http://challonge.com/grb_cover_tourney has all the tourney info.

Sweet 16!

#62: stlouie_lipp's "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley

Originally performed by Leonard Cohen:

#46: Gashouse's "All Along The Watchtower" by Jimi Hendrix
Last edited by Swirls on February 16 17, 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Re: Sweet 16: "Hallelujah" vs "All Along The Watchtower"

Post by GeddyWrox »

Jimi 4 Life!!!

Kincaid
Veteran Player

Post by Kincaid »

This is the match-up I've been dreading. These are my two favourite songs in the tournament, and I'm not sure how to vote.

The linked video for the original version of "All Along the Watchtower" is not Dylan. It appears to be a cover by a Japanese artist. The original recording is acoustic, so Hendrix changed it pretty drastically.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Kincaid wrote:This is the match-up I've been dreading. These are my two favourite songs in the tournament, and I'm not sure how to vote.

The linked video for the original version of "All Along the Watchtower" is not Dylan. It appears to be a cover by a Japanese artist. The original recording is acoustic, so Hendrix changed it pretty drastically.
Thanks for the heads up. I was just searching and copying links based on the titles. Ill get the corrected one put up later tonight or first thing tomorrow morning.

Kincaid
Veteran Player

Post by Kincaid »

It might not be on YouTube. A lot of Dylan songs get removed for copyright claims. I think someone mentioned in the originals-less-famous-than-their-covers thread that they couldn't find that song on YouTube either.

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Post by Gashouse »

Dylan has described his reaction to hearing Hendrix's version: "It overwhelmed me, really. He had such talent, he could find things inside a song and vigorously develop them. He found things that other people wouldn't think of finding in there. He probably improved upon it by the spaces he was using. I took license with the song from his version, actually, and continue to do it to this day."[26] In the booklet accompanying his Biograph album, Dylan said: "I liked Jimi Hendrix's record of this and ever since he died I've been doing it that way... Strange how when I sing it, I always feel it's a tribute to him in some kind of way."

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

(double post)
Last edited by stlouie_lipp on February 13 17, 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

stlouie_lipp wrote:
Tambourine Man wrote:
heyzeus wrote:Keep in mind, before it became a cliche (Thanks, Glee!) Buckley's cover was a revelation.
It's like some soccer mom anthem now, but my goodness is Buckley great. And I like the version in lipp's video better than the album release.
It's been done to death but, damn, Jeff Buckley's version is just head and shoulders above the rest. That's why I nominated it - of all the variations out there nothing else comes close.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Kincaid wrote:It might not be on YouTube. A lot of Dylan songs get removed for copyright claims. I think someone mentioned in the originals-less-famous-than-their-covers thread that they couldn't find that song on YouTube either.
Okay, thanks. I just removed it.

Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators

Post by Tambourine Man »

stlouie_lipp wrote:
stlouie_lipp wrote:
Tambourine Man wrote:
heyzeus wrote:Keep in mind, before it became a cliche (Thanks, Glee!) Buckley's cover was a revelation.
It's like some soccer mom anthem now, but my goodness is Buckley great. And I like the version in lipp's video better than the album release.
It's been done to death but, damn, Jeff Buckley's version is just head and shoulders above the rest. That's why I nominated it - of all the variations out there nothing else comes close.
Yeah, but if someone told me I could never hear Jimi's version of "AATW" again, I'd be mildly annoyed. I'd just have a bunch of muted sections in Vietnam films.

I'd be very disappointed to never hear Buckley's "Hallelujah."