Memories

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Diddy
Perennial All-Star

Memories

Post by Diddy »

I'm browsing the internet looking at aftermarket stereos tonight and it brought back a good memory from my youth. The factory head unit in our 88 Suburban quit so we went to Best Buy to find a replacement. I begged mom and dad to upgrade to a sony CD player. At that time we didn't even own any cds but I convinced them they were the future and we had to get a CD player.

We had to go back a few days later to get the free install. I remember buying my first cd while we waited on the install. I debated forever between Spin Doctors and Ace of Base. I remember begging my mom to let me play my cd first, not her freshly purchased Garth Brooks CD. I can remember clumsily getting the cd case out of the wrapper and the sticker off of it that kept it shut. The smell when I first opened the cd case and the joy of putting it in the player and hearing Jimmy Olsens Blues in crystal clear cd quality sound for the first time. I'm sure now I'd think it's horrid but I remember all of us talking about the superior sound.

Just a fond memory of growing up.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Re: Memories

Post by IMADreamer »

That's a great memory. I remember growing up on Saturday mornings we would always clean up my Dad's car. My Grandfather at this time was approaching 80 and the end of his life. He couldn't drive any more so every Saturday Dad would go pick him up and we'd go for a drive. Maybe just to get dinner or if Grandpa needed something from the store we'd go there. It always started with cleaning the car though. My Dad grew up in extreme poverty and he was proud of his car. Not in a show off sort of way but in a I worked hard for this and I'm going to keep it immaculate sort of way. I also think there was something there with my Grandpa's approval. Grandpa would always remark how nice the car looked.

So every Saturday we were up cleaning the car and my Dad would play the Allman Brothers. Always the Allman Brothers. I could go through my head right now and tell you the song listing to their albums. I can remember it clear as day and I can still smell the armor all on the dash. Those were some good days.